Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Castle in the Clouds Carriage House (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22613)

VitaBene 09-15-2017 10:24 AM

Castle in the Clouds Carriage House

Both MSC and NH Bureau of Trails have been in negotiations with the Castle to open a trail from corridor 15 to the Carriage House. Great news, they have
decided to move forward!

Their plan is to open the Carriage House for lunch and beverages (I believe that only beer and wine will be available as far as alcohol is concerned) December 29 through March 24th on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, weather permitting. Depending on how much traffic they receive, they will consider being open during the MA and NH February vacation weeks.

I hope that this works out well for them and for the snowmobilers in the state!

John

ITD 09-15-2017 10:31 AM

Sweet, you guys are doing a great job!!

SAB1 09-15-2017 11:23 AM

That would be nice. Now we all need to take advantage of it when it opens.

ultrarider 09-15-2017 12:13 PM

I thought a landowner closed a section of trail from the parking on Rt 171 to the Castle trails last year. Has that been resolved? Maybe I'm mistaken, and it's the trail heading south & east from the parking on RT 171 back towards the Wolfeboro snack shack on Rt 26 & 200? Being able to do a loop from the Wolfeboro Snack Shack, via 200 over to 19 up to Ossipee, and south down 15 to Mt. Shaw & the Castle for lunch would sure be nice!

mneck1814 09-15-2017 12:15 PM

I assume vehicle access will be up the bottling plant road not the main Castle Entrance?

Shreddy 09-21-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrarider (Post 285805)
I thought a landowner closed a section of trail from the parking on Rt 171 to the Castle trails last year. Has that been resolved? Maybe I'm mistaken, and it's the trail heading south & east from the parking on RT 171 back towards the Wolfeboro snack shack on Rt 26 & 200? Being able to do a loop from the Wolfeboro Snack Shack, via 200 over to 19 up to Ossipee, and south down 15 to Mt. Shaw & the Castle for lunch would sure be nice!

The latter - the trail was closed from the parking lot on 171 to snack shack, thus couldn't get to the power lines unless you took the lake to Melvin Village.

VitaBene 09-22-2017 10:10 AM

The trail section that is closed is from Wolfeboro to the state lot on 171. I don't know if it will be resolved this year. The original landowner issue was resolved, but a second landowner closed as well. A lot of us are wondering how long we will survive in this area once we end up with a more "trails to nowhere"!

SAB1 09-22-2017 12:35 PM

Geeze. Cant catch a break. That is a frustrating area to have closed for us in Tuftonboro.

ultrarider 09-22-2017 02:51 PM

Now to be the bearer of more bad news. The Seven Lakes Club thought they had a re-route around the section of Corridor 22 closed by the RR just south of Rt 171 (Old Granite Rd) down to behind the Big Moose RV where the trail jumps off of the rails, and back onto dirt. Last Spring the club Trail blazed a re-route to include the building of a bridge, to get us around that closure. Many man hours volunteered, and money spent. Found out over the summer that the new trail and bridge are not acturally on the owners land that gave permission. Miscalculated by a few feet! The owner of that land does not want anything to do with snowmobiles, and will not allow the trail to be on his land by even an inch. So there is still no way north or south from Ossipee down to the Cotton Valley RR trail to go to Wolfboro, Moose mountain, or elsewhere, without going all the way around to Wakefield via Corridor 19, and still having to depend on four lakes, Sandy Pond, Balch Lake, Lake Ivanhoe, and Great East Lake, being frozen. Sucks for me cause I live on the Cotton Valley Tracks (corridor 22&26)

stynx55 09-22-2017 07:09 PM

Its not going to be long before snowmobiling in the areas around the lakes region will be all done. In the future at best we will have a few areas of unconnected trails.

Lakegeezer 10-21-2017 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The State Bureau of Trails was working on the trail to the Carriage House Restaurant a few weeks ago. You can get there by car, or take the new Carriage Trail off snowmobile corridor 15. The Carriage trail is open 11-4 when the restaurant is open. Closed otherwise. Here's a map of the new trail.

WINNOCTURN 10-21-2017 06:54 PM

Thanks!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakegeezer (Post 286902)
the state bureau of trails was working on the trail to the carriage house restaurant a few weeks ago. You can get there by car, or take the new carriage trail off snowmobile corridor 15. The carriage trail is open 11-4 when the restaurant is open. Closed otherwise. Here's a map of the new trail.

Thanks!!!!