Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spectrum Mobile (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28677)

dmjr 04-01-2023 02:44 PM

Spectrum Mobile

I am looking for some feedback on Spectrum’s cell phone service. I have seen a bunch of promotional ads recently.

Thank you

DickR 04-01-2023 05:13 PM

I got my first cell phone a few years ago. My wife had been after me to get one. One factor in caving in was the ad for Spectrum's "by the gig" plan. You get unlimited voice and text, plus the first gigabyte of data, for $14/month. There is no nickle-and-diming with "fees, taxes, surcharges, etc." The amount charged to my cc each month is the flat $14. I don't use the phone for internet stuff, for which I prefer a real computer. Actually, most of the time the phone is off; I turn it on and take it with me when I go out. Later, we switched my wife's service to the same Spectrum Mobile by the gig plan. She doesn't do internet stuff on her phone either, and two gigs of data for the two phones is shared between us. We don't go over the two gigs, so the total for two phones now is $28/mo. The connection is said to be via piggybacking off the Verizon tower system, which for us here on Long Island and elsewhere has been just fine.

bobkatfly 04-02-2023 06:28 AM

I switched from AT&T to Spectrum 2 years ago. At the time we were moving from Direct TV to the Spectrum internet/TV package and decided to go all in with mobile as well. I found cell service quality to be slightly behind AT&T up until a few months ago when three new towers came online here in Tuftonboro. It's now usable when driving around town. There are still spotty areas around the lake but that's true for all the providers..
When at home I use wifi calling with no issues.

I have the same arrangement as DickR and have been satisfied with the service overall.

Biggd 04-02-2023 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickR (Post 382361)
I got my first cell phone a few years ago. My wife had been after me to get one. One factor in caving in was the ad for Spectrum's "by the gig" plan. You get unlimited voice and text, plus the first gigabyte of data, for $14/month. There is no nickle-and-diming with "fees, taxes, surcharges, etc." The amount charged to my cc each month is the flat $14. I don't use the phone for internet stuff, for which I prefer a real computer. Actually, most of the time the phone is off; I turn it on and take it with me when I go out. Later, we switched my wife's service to the same Spectrum Mobile by the gig plan. She doesn't do internet stuff on her phone either, and two gigs of data for the two phones is shared between us. We don't go over the two gigs, so the total for two phones now is $28/mo. The connection is said to be via piggybacking off the Verizon tower system, which for us here on Long Island and elsewhere has been just fine.

If you only use your phone for calls and text there are plenty of cheap options.

pondguy 04-02-2023 07:32 AM

I found Tracfone is the best deal for me, mine works out to $ 7.48 a month I buy minutes every 3 months. Phone came with triple minutes and sms messages. I don't use it for internet. Works out to 60 texts per month and 60 minutes call time per month.

Lakegeezer 04-06-2023 07:49 AM

Spectrum (cheap Verizon)

After over 20 years on Verizon, I switched last November to Spectrum mobile. The deal was $30/month for two lines with unlimited data, for the first year. I also got a Pixel 7 for $400 off, so the deal was a good one. After six months, I have no complaints. The service is basically Verizon, although you may get lower priority in congested areas. Where Verizon signal is poor, so is Spectrum. However, I see quite a few 5G spots in my travels and get great throughput speeds. Turns out unlimited means 20 Gig/month, and I'm a data hog, so when traveling, I have to modify my use to keep under the data ceiling. Given that my Verizon 10 gig shared plan for two was over $100 and I got $400 off my new phone, all lights are green. Note, you have to be an active Spectrum customer to get the deal.