Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Weirs The Beef! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9983)

Woodsy 05-24-2010 08:52 AM

Weirs The Beef!

Weirs The Beef is back! They officially reopened in the building that used to house the Weirs Country Store! Absolutely AWESOME subs and sandwiches! The Roast Beef sandwiches rock!

Tell them Woodsy sent ya!

Woodsy

texas chopper 05-25-2010 05:20 AM

Weirs the Beef

We went there on Saturday for lunch. It was just like I remembered, awesome. We all had super beefs with cheese and sauce. The grilled (lightly toased) onion roll is a perfect touch for the Super Beef. By far the best rb sandwich in the lakes region.

weim2 05-25-2010 06:46 AM

Weirs the beef--forever

We had a WONDERFUL sub there the other day. The day they opened and all was perfect. Glad to have Tommy back!!!:)

SIKSUKR 05-25-2010 09:48 AM

Is the old Weirs country store next to Donna Jeans?

Overlake97 05-25-2010 02:51 PM

Country Store?

Yes, please remind us: Where was the Old Country Store, and thus the new Weirs the Beef? I'm somewhat -> :confused:

Rattlesnake Guy 05-25-2010 05:04 PM

When you stand at the famous Weirs sign and look north up the Weirs blvd with the train on the right, Weirs the beef is the building that looks like it is built in the middle of the street. (Just past the pier)

trfour 05-25-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy (Post 128221)
When you stand at the famous Weirs sign and look north up the Weirs blvd with the train on the right, Weirs the beef is the building that looks like it is built in the middle of the street. (Just past the pier)

Do you mean Lakeside Ave? :confused:

I'm in Dallas/ Forth Worth right now and am having trouble finding this place myself. :D :look:

Janet 05-26-2010 06:03 AM

trfour

I'm lost in Plano!

WeirsBeachBoater 05-26-2010 07:10 AM

Lakeside Ave. Just past the Gringo and the Paradise. Weirs the Beef is on the right. Can't miss it, look for all the smiling faces and full stomachs!

Winni-Retired 05-26-2010 09:21 AM

small world

Janet / Trfour

I use to work for a company that had it's IT operations at Spring Creek and the corporate offices at LBJ and 75

maryjane 05-26-2010 09:36 AM

Weirs the Beef

Glad your back Tommy, have a great... summer
:liplick:

mets3007 05-26-2010 10:40 AM

I think its the store right after the boardwalk up the hill going towards the Weirs Hotel.

trfour 05-26-2010 04:04 PM

Janet, Hi Neighbor...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 128257)
I'm lost in Plano!

Not to worry, RG says Plano is just up the road from trfour's, Y'all will find it...

:) Terry

Bigstan 05-26-2010 08:06 PM

Wasn't this the bbq place? Or is this a different entity in the same place?

trfour 05-26-2010 09:46 PM

Wow, Another Good Kid Steps Up To The Plate...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy (Post 128358)
Sorry,
Never give directions when you have the street name wrong.

OH MAN, tell me about it!
One of my many jobs, was a Mechanic for Leaseway of New England, more money was welcomed, home based in Beantown where we had over a 1000 registered trucks in Boston proper, and tons more beyond that! I'd get there in the afternoon, jump into my service truck and head out with a list of service orders to correct any deficiencies that occurred. I was also on call for any breakdowns and had to go back to the shop on occasion and break out what we affectionately named "Big Birtha". An old Mack Thermodyne gas powered tractor with a Big Ben fastened to the fifth wheel. A hydraulic towing apparatus.
One day, oh and was it ever hot, one of our Columbia Gem meat products trucks broke down in the South Station Tunnel during rush hour. I can attest that the exhaust fans in that there tunnel were grossly inadequate, as I dang near died fighting traffic, hookin it up and getting it out of there.

To make a loooong story short. Besides my dispatcher being dyslectic in his interpretation for directions, for my locating in the BOSTON area, I was equipped with a mobile phone so I told the dispatcher very early on to just give me the truck driver's phone #.

Worked for me! :)
2010 and movin on

WeirsBeachBoater 05-27-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy (Post 128358)
Sorry,
Never give directions when you have the street name wrong.

RG, That is not correct. Next Store up... Past the Footbridge over the RR Tracks. Used to be the Weirs Beach General Store.

dykg 05-27-2010 11:17 AM

Is it the old Superette Store?

Overlake97 05-27-2010 12:39 PM

And the correct answer is....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 128370)
Wasn't this the bbq place? Or is this a different entity in the same place?

Bigstan is right, the place in Rattlesnakes Guy's picture IS still the BBQ place (Smoke Shack). WeirsBeachBoater wins the prize: Weirs the Beef is in the former Weir's Beach General Store, just past Crazy Gringo. I just drove by there; they have a Grand Opening sign out. :)

mets3007 05-27-2010 02:28 PM

I had the place right and I go there only in the summer lol.

Lucky1 05-27-2010 05:20 PM

Got me to thinking or our Weirs outing with the kids in the drizzle last summer. I remember an ice cream place sort of in the area you all are talking about so bet it will be in that area. It did seem like it was in the middle of the street.

Let's all hope for a sunny summer so Weirs will thrive! Hope we had all of our rain already with the awful spring rains. Our land is eroded by the sand wanting to get to the house! I have to smile everytime a thread starts about some who want to add sand to their beaches. It comes right to this house!

Rattlesnake Guy 05-27-2010 10:07 PM

I concede you are correct.

garysanfran 06-05-2010 03:56 PM

Great Subs! Weirs the Beef...Fantastic!

Been twice. If I were asked where and when I have had a better Italian sub or pastrami sub?, I could not answer the question...Best I've had anywhere! My brother thought the chicken parm sub was the best he had ever had and my mother loved the chicken salad with all white meat, freshly roasted chicken. Weirs the Beef is fantastic! You can get there by boat. I'll be visiting this place often.

Irrigation Guy 06-05-2010 05:55 PM

Hate to say it as I support the opening of a new small business, but my super beef the other day was less than super. IMHO it should have had a lot more beef and be warm to be called a super beef($6.50). The roll was large though.

The mushroom burger special ordered at the same time was enjoyed but the french fry quantity was smallish at best.

I will give it one more try and hope they do well.

Rattlesnake Gal 06-07-2010 06:24 PM

Weirs the Beef - So Clever of a Name!

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1275952925

This picture was taken back on May 9th. Obviously they are open now.

pah 06-10-2010 07:55 AM

I went to Walmart yesterday, On the way home to Meredith, I stopped at Weirs the beef, bought a 12" steak and cheese sub with onions and mushrooms to go.
It was the best steak and cheese I have had in NH.

Waterbaby 06-11-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykg (Post 128408)
Is it the old Superette Store?

Judging by RG's photo that is exactly where it is......... Funny you should say Superette, I never knew it was called that but NH Chronicle did a show tonight on the history of Bike Week/Weekend/Week through the ages and it showed the building with the Superette sign on it, lol.

trfour 06-11-2010 11:06 PM

Quit Stick'in Up For RG, RG...

I'm quoting Rattlesnake Guy again here.

Quote:

"When you stand at the famous "Weirs sign" and look north up the Weirs blvd with the train on the right, Weirs the beef is the building that looks like it is built in the middle of the street. (Just past the pier) "
Now, forgive me for having corrective vision at my age, 20/20. And yup, I just so happen to be in Dallas/Fort Worth at this time.

R Guy, If you can see Weirs the Beef from the Weirs Sign, I for one would love to see a picture of that! Now I'm talking line of sight over here, not an aerial photo. :D

Love
Terry

MaidenCove07 07-13-2010 11:38 PM

Actually it was called "George's Superette" and it was the most amazing butcher ever back in the day when you could get your hamburger fresh ground!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterbaby (Post 130008)
Judging by RG's photo that is exactly where it is......... Funny you should say Superette, I never knew it was called that but NH Chronicle did a show tonight on the history of Bike Week/Weekend/Week through the ages and it showed the building with the Superette sign on it, lol.

pwdcrownies 07-20-2010 06:06 PM

Is the Weirs so big that so many people are lost???

jr616 07-21-2010 11:50 AM

Stopped in for lunch a few weeks ago b/c you guys said it was good - it was not what I liked.
I like my RB to be more rare and have some flavor - this sandwich did not. I asked if they had onion rolls when I ordered (b/c that just makes a RB sandwich rock) they did not do onion rolls.
The FF were good - but not enough to make me go back.
Sorry gang I give it the thumbs down - for my liking at least.

sa meredith 07-21-2010 01:54 PM

agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr616 (Post 133680)
Stopped in for lunch a few weeks ago b/c you guys said it was good - it was not what I liked.
I like my RB to be more rare and have some flavor - this sandwich did not. I asked if they had onion rolls when I ordered (b/c that just makes a RB sandwich rock) they did not do onion rolls.
The FF were good - but not enough to make me go back.
Sorry gang I give it the thumbs down - for my liking at least.

Wasn't going to say anything...but I went a few weeks back, and have to say...I agree very much with your post.
I expected something along the lines of Harrison's RB in North Andover, the old Reilly's RB in Lawrence, or Kelly's in Revere...and it missed the mark. I, too, ask for an onion roll...no go. And, although the sandwich was good, it was certainly not on par with these other fine RB shops.
It is, however, very convenient for someone rolling out of Crazy Gringos after a few margs, looking for a quick bite. For that reason alone, I'll be going back.

weim2 08-02-2010 07:55 AM

Massachusetts Food

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa meredith (Post 133696)
Wasn't going to say anything...but I went a few weeks back, and have to say...I agree very much with your post.
I expected something along the lines of Harrison's RB in North Andover, the old Reilly's RB in Lawrence, or Kelly's in Revere...and it missed the mark. I, too, ask for an onion roll...no go. And, although the sandwich was good, it was certainly not on par with these other fine RB shops.
It is, however, very convenient for someone rolling out of Crazy Gringos after a few margs, looking for a quick bite. For that reason alone, I'll be going back.

Weirs The Beef is the best. Have been there many times and all was excellent! If you think Mass Food is so good, just keep going South. As for "rolling" out of Gringo's, you better have a DD.:laugh:

ironhorsetim 08-02-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr616 (Post 133680)
I asked if they had onion rolls when I ordered (b/c that just makes a RB sandwich rock) they did not do onion rolls.

That's odd because I've been there about 1/2 dozen times and the 3 or 4 times I ordered the super beef it came on a toasted onion roll...... :confused:

Bigstan 08-02-2010 10:30 AM

Onion roll

An onion roll normally is part of any super beef (though not smaller sizes), though if you ask for one it should certainly be optional........

weim2 08-03-2010 09:30 AM

What is "normal"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 135006)
An onion roll normally is part of any super beef (though not smaller sizes), though if you ask for one it should certainly be optional........

Who made that rule of onion rolls? Normal is a subjective term.:coolsm:

Bigstan 08-03-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weim2 (Post 135165)
Who made that rule of onion rolls? Normal is a subjective term.:coolsm:

True, I would call it normal if one is used to seeing the same thing wherever they go. Of course there are regional preferences, but in N. MA I have had to skip Super Beefs as I can't stand onion rolls (medium beefs only for me). But everywhere (by that I mean the 5 or 6 RB places we have by us) defaults to an onion roll on Super Beefs.

Not to say it's a law, but it seems pretty universal down here. I wouldn't say to call 911 if you don't get one, but RB and onion rolls seem to go hand in hand.

Now, if horseradish isn't offered as a condiment I would certainly call shenanigans.

jr616 08-03-2010 01:25 PM

Onion roll aside the beef just had very little flavor. I will give it a second chance b/c that is what i would normally do anyway but I am not optimistic.

If it happens to be while rolling out of the Gringo I will be sure to scale my tasting experience & expectations. :coolsm:

pats fan 08-03-2010 05:58 PM

Always got an onion roll

I am very surprised to hear that some people have not gotten an onion roll with their roast beef sandwich. I have been there about 3, maybe 4 times and had the roast beef sandwich every time. It always came on an onion roll even without my asking. I actually commented the first time that I was surprised that they did not ask first if I wanted an onion roll. I loved it on onion roll and will always get it that way. I only got the roast beef the first time (usually a chicken salad eater) because someone I was with had already had one and said it was the best they ever had. I don't know if onion rolls are the norm with roast beef but I loved it. The owner, a big, muscley, kind of scary looking, althought handsome guy, was a powder puff! He was very sweet and very funny. I look forward to going back just to joke with him again. Don't let his muscles and tatoos scare you. He is very sweet!

tommy mack 08-19-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocalRealtor (Post 129235)
Hate to say it as I support the opening of a new small business, but my super beef the other day was less than super. IMHO it should have had a lot more beef and be warm to be called a super beef($6.50). The roll was large though.

The mushroom burger special ordered at the same time was enjoyed but the french fry quantity was smallish at best.

I will give it one more try and hope they do well.

when you order a small fry.what size should it be? you need a loan?

Chimi 08-19-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy mack (Post 137299)
when you order a small fry.what size should it be? you need a loan?

Now that is funny! (and I'm hungry).