Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Restaurant Reopenings (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25758)

Slickcraft 05-14-2020 05:19 PM

Restaurant Reopenings

We drove by Ellacoya Barn and Grill today. There was a large event type tent in the parking lot. We assume that this is for the May 18th opening for outdoors only. Burger Monday? Maybe there are some other event tents popping up in the area.

My nephew and his wife own an event tent business in NW CT. His business has been "crushed" with weddings put off. He just got two restaurant tent orders as CT will soon also allow outdoor seating.

WinnisquamZ 05-14-2020 06:09 PM

Restaurant Reopenings

Event tent. Is that not inside? Believe the idea was for open out door space. But, I do like their thinking out of the box. Curious how this plays out

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Slickcraft 05-14-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 334754)
Event tent. Is that not inside? Believe the idea was for open out door space. But, I do like their thinking out of the box. Curious how this plays out

The sides roll up

baygo 05-14-2020 07:06 PM

I took a bike ride around the lake today. There was a tent set up at Hart’s Turkey Farm, twin barns brewery, canoe, and Ellacoya.

I thought the tents were a bit small to place tables at least 6 feet apart.

GTO 05-14-2020 08:04 PM

Tent city

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 334757)
I took a bike ride around the lake today. There was a tent set up at Hart’s Turkey Farm, twin barns brewery, canoe, and Ellacoya.

I thought the tents were a bit small to place tables at least 6 feet apart.

Saw the one at Harts also one set up behind TBones. I thought they were small too

Winilyme 05-14-2020 10:49 PM

With COVID still out there, these set-ups could create some fairly tents dining experiences :laugh:

WinnisquamZ 05-15-2020 03:59 AM

Just can’t see us, wife and I, sitting on a picnic table in the parking lot of a restaurant we have been waiting 8 weeks to return to and having a pleasant experience. Don’t get me wrong, seeing everyone will be wonderful. However, it’s not what each of us want

thinkxingu 05-15-2020 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 334766)
Just can’t see us, wife and I, sitting on a picnic table in the parking lot of a restaurant we have been waiting 8 weeks to return to and having a pleasant experience. Don’t get me wrong, seeing everyone will be wonderful. However, it’s not what each of us want

Agreed—I would much rather do takeout and find a great place to eat. I'm hoping enough people do want that experience, though, so servers and staff can return to work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

SAMIAM 05-15-2020 06:34 AM

After much thought we decided against the tent......just going to rough it with takeout hoping we can open for limited inside seating in June.
Side curtains are not allowed, evenings are cool and even a slight breeze is going to cause discomfort as well as no protection from cool weather.
Spring around here is notorious for black flies ,mosquitos and rain.
We are all desperate to get back operating again and I wish everyone well that gives it a try but the initial expense and difficulty logistically convinced us to wait.

Dad sold the C * C 05-15-2020 07:35 AM

Thank you for the explanation. Your logic against the tent is sound, but I understand why some may have to try it.

It's going to be different this year, that's for sure

WinnisquamZ 05-15-2020 12:47 PM

Had a conversation and she mentioned the idea of a senior seating at restaurants. Those over 60 allowed to seat between 4-5:30. This allows for those in a higher risk group to feel better about going out. Will it work, can it work, no idea

FlyingScot 05-15-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 334766)

Agreed. Plus the bugs. They should optimize for in-car dining. These guys have the right idea:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/...r-this-summer/

Sue Doe-Nym 05-15-2020 05:33 PM

Fingers crossed

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 334772)
After much thought we decided against the tent......just going to rough it with takeout hoping we can open for limited inside seating in June.
Side curtains are not allowed, evenings are cool and even a slight breeze is going to cause discomfort as well as no protection from cool weather.
Spring around here is notorious for black flies ,mosquitos and rain.
We are all desperate to get back operating again and I wish everyone well that gives it a try but the initial expense and difficulty logistically convinced us to wait.

We wish you all the best, and hope that everything works out for you and all the restaurant owners in the area. We are big fans of the V.K. and will be doing takeout Saturday, and Red Hill soon. This is a tough time for many businesses, and hopefully as many as possible will manage ti survive. Takeout just might take off...we have been doing it for years....because somebody else does the cooking, and you can eat on a porch or wherever, away from the crowds....love it! P.S. People need to be generous with a tip.

secondcurve 05-15-2020 07:55 PM

Kowloon in Saugus is reconfiguring to a drive in restaurant. They have a huge parking lot. It is an interesting idea.

I won’t be going to any sit down restaurants in 2020. It’s not worth it in my opinion. I’ll support local restaurants via takeout whenever possible. It’s a sad state of affairs.

pondguy 05-16-2020 04:50 AM

It could be time to bring the car hops back :D

Barney Bear 05-16-2020 05:17 AM

Roll On

Perhaps the car hops will be on roller skates. :)

Biggd 05-16-2020 08:51 AM

The Weirs drive in should be a popular venue this summer. Kieth Urban just did a drive in concert for health care workers. If there ever was a time to resurrect the drive in, it's now!

Sue Doe-Nym 05-16-2020 02:57 PM

Italian Farmhouse

We took a drive over to Plymouth today, and happened to see Eric Johnson at the Italian Farmhouse, getting ready for outdoor dining....and what a terrific spot that will be, providing the weather and bug population cooperate. They already have two decks, plus seating on the lawn.....we’ll be sure to check it out more than once.

Descant 05-16-2020 03:49 PM

Bug Zappers?

I always thought the sound of bug zappers was pleasant background when eating outdoors. Now you can get battery operated ultrasonic bug repellent at many places. Over 2,000,000 response on Google. Put it in the middle of your dining table. I wouldn't be surprised if some restaurants offer this. Of course Citronella candles and the like are still around as ell as the traditional repellent lotions.

BroadHopper 05-17-2020 05:32 AM

Reopening

After reading what many business owners say about opening early. It's a huge gamble! Tents are expensive, paper plates, and the extra prep of sanitizing a table for the next seating also add cost! Plus the fact you are operating at 50% capacity just does not justify an early reopening especially when the weather is finicky, let alone the bugs!

Plus the fact many people are just not ready to venture out. Those that do, there can be a problem of liability. The state hasn't quite figured that out!

And bars have to cope with those who do not practice social distancing, already proven around the US. It is just not worth having the employees put up with it!

Biggd 05-17-2020 07:49 AM

I guess each business has to decide that on their own. It is a gamble but so is staying closed another month while competitors open.

Descant 05-17-2020 08:29 AM

summer folk

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 334875)
After reading what many business owners say about opening early. It's a huge gamble! Tents are expensive, paper plates, and the extra prep of sanitizing a table for the next seating also add cost! Plus the fact you are operating at 50% capacity just does not justify an early reopening especially when the weather is finicky, let alone the bugs!

Plus the fact many people are just not ready to venture out. Those that do, there can be a problem of liability. The state hasn't quite figured that out!

And bars have to cope with those who do not practice social distancing, already proven around the US. It is just not worth having the employees put up with it!

Seasonal businesses would just now be ramping up and using the spring lower activity levels to hire, train, build inventory, etc. They are used to operating at lower levels in the shoulder season. Recall, not so long ago when discussion here focused on restaurants closing part of the dining area because they couldn't get enough staff? We have many hard working entrepreneurs in the Lakes Region. I hope they all have a successful season.

JEEPONLY 05-17-2020 04:58 PM

Eric Johnson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 334855)
We took a drive over to Plymouth today, and happened to see Eric Johnson at the Italian Farmhouse, getting ready for outdoor dining....and what a terrific spot that will be, providing the weather and bug population cooperate. They already have two decks, plus seating on the lawn.....we’ll be sure to check it out more than once.

COOL! I like his music, but the fact that you recognized him is up a notch!

We love the "Farmhouse " too.

DPatnaude 05-18-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 334906)
COOL! I like his music, but the fact that you recognized him is up a notch!

We love the "Farmhouse " too.

Not that Eric Johnson :)

Phantom 05-18-2020 08:30 AM

Patrick's Pub is also adding additional area on the side of their building for outside seating.

Mr. V 05-18-2020 11:52 AM

I wonder to what degree the lack of an available willing work force, always a problem for restaurants in the lakes region, will impact restaurants as the reopening progresses?

Will people be reluctant to return to work for fear of contracting the virus?

hd333 05-18-2020 12:59 PM

Last summer we heard a lot of places being unable to staff appropriately and some were limiting the number of tables.

I’m not in the business but could this 50% or so capacity work for some of those places based on last years struggles with staffing?

Possibly even spread out the crowds so a bunch of places are seeing more consistent business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbolty 05-18-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd333 (Post 334956)
Last summer we heard a lot of places being unable to staff appropriately and some were limiting the number of tables.

I’m not in the business but could this 50% or so capacity work for some of those places based on last years struggles with staffing?

Possibly even spread out the crowds so a bunch of places are seeing more consistent business?

that's putting a pretty optimistic view on it but I think there is some validity. When the place is packed but understaffed people get frustrated. Hopefully people will be so glad to get out there will be more patience. Of course the x factor is if they can make money with reduced seating.

WinnisquamZ 05-18-2020 01:37 PM

Maybe. Reading guidelines issued this morning by a few of the local restaurants. Reading they will be attempting to limit the time one has to complete their meals. Believe it’s one hour and twenty minutes per sitting. Understand the need and have no issues with the attempt. How will this be enforced? Could make for a few interesting evenings

Hillcountry 05-18-2020 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kathleen’s Irish Pub in Bristol opens for outside seating tonight...my wife and I have a reservation! She is advertising “fresh Maine clams” and I plan to get some! First time eating at a restaurant since the madness began. I don’t think we’ll need “an hour and twenty” to eat either!

pondguy 05-18-2020 02:21 PM

Yum that looks so good :liplick:

wadden 05-18-2020 02:30 PM

Bar service or just food.

Does anyone know if the limited outdoor service and seating at Lago and Town Docks includes bar service?

VitaBene 05-18-2020 02:34 PM

Hopefully they will do a better job of it than is being done here in SC. It is a bit of a sh!t show- Some people are doing a good job of coping and distancing, many others are not. We are hyper-sensitive about CV-19 at work (temp screenings and med questions before we can get on site) because there are not many people that can run a nuclear plant, so we all try to do the right things outside of work.

I am still getting takeout and eating in my room. The restaurants are doing the right things- the patrons waiting outside are a different story! It was supposed to be Myrtle Beach Bike Week but it was postponed, but it turned into mini-bikeweek anyway, complete with bands. People were on top of each other.

JEEPONLY 05-18-2020 03:07 PM

So...

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 334970)
Hopefully they will do a better job of it than is being done here in SC. It is a bit of a sh!t show- Some people are doing a good job of coping and distancing, many others are not. We are hyper-sensitive about CV-19 at work (temp screenings and med questions before we can get on site) because there are not many people that can run a nuclear plant, so we all try to do the right things outside of work.

I am still getting takeout and eating in my room. The restaurants are doing the right things- the patrons waiting outside are a different story! It was supposed to be Myrtle Beach Bike Week but it was postponed, but it turned into mini-bikeweek anyway, complete with bands. People were on top of each other.

Why don't you just nuke this virus? :eek:

VitaBene 05-18-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 334976)
Why don't you just nuke this virus? :eek:

I wish we could!

Major 05-18-2020 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15998
Me and my better half at O’s Seafood and Steak to celebrate my birthday!

thinkxingu 05-18-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 334990)
Attachment 15998
Me and my better half at O’s Seafood and Steak to celebrate my birthday!

Wow, you are wayyyy uglier than I pictured.

JK! Happy Birthday, handsome!

Major 05-18-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 334991)
Wow, you are wayyyy uglier than I pictured.

JK! Happy Birthday, handsome!

Thanks! As in most things in my life, I married way above my pay grade. My wife makes me look better!

upthesaukee 05-18-2020 08:10 PM

Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 334992)
Thanks! As in most things in my life, I married way above my pay grade. My wife makes me look better!

Yup, it's why WE call them "the better half" !!!:D

Dave

SAMIAM 05-19-2020 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadden (Post 334969)
Does anyone know if the limited outdoor service and seating at Lago and Town Docks includes bar service?

Had lunch at Town Docks yesterday......bar was roped off
Nice to be back though