Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Another one hits the rocks (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18113)

chasedawg 08-19-2014 10:04 PM

Another one hits the rocks

We live in a wonderful place for the last 31 years.

We also live in an area that has some rocks that are clearly marked on all charts and has additional markers defining the "do not navigate" area. Oh I might add that it is a No wake Zone (NWZ) besides!

But each year we witness so many people having no clue what the markers mean and just barrel through and slam into the rocks. We see it coming and start asking each other are they going to hit the rocks. We usually run out to forewarn them but most times it is too late. So we jump in our boat and cruise out to them to see if we can help.

It happened several times last week and again today. Go figure. Last week there was this high performance beautiful Formula that was cruising through not paying attention and then boom bang, thud, and another sickening thud. They all stopped and looked around to see what caused the last "thud. Then they try and start their engine and try move forward hoping that knowing happened.

After they raise their stern drives they say "Oh Sucks...Darn.. I should have known better". (Yea sure they say that) The high performance Formula owner tried to put his twin engines in gear one at a time. The first engine reved up like it was in neutral. Oops what does that mean? You guessed it.... no prop. He decided to swim out over the rocks to see if he could find his $1200 high performance stainless prop. No luck.

I went over to see if I could help. I suggested he should check his engine compartment for any kind of leakage. I asked how could I help. He said no problem I will run on one engine back. Well back meant 10 miles back to his marina. In this case I learned that his brother in law was driving the boat and had little or no experience or not even a lic.... you guessed it.

Then today, my wife saw a boat with a couple of gals coming through the NWZ bow way up in the air. Huge wake and heading for the rocks again. She ran out to the dock! But too late another Bang, thud, another thud and then silence. Then a scream....OH No! my husband is going to..... me.

A rock collision last year, I really felt sorry for the driver of the boat. I again saw it was going to happen. It is a sickening sound again...thud, boom, thud and then silence. We run out again to see who it was this time. It was four young late teen girls. I went out to help them. I towed their boat over to our dock and helped check out their engine and lower unit. It didn't look good. The lower unit and prop were a mess. My wife offered to take them to the nearest marina or if they wanted to use our phone to call home. The girl diving the boat said...OH NO....I Can't CALL Home. MY dad will .....you fill in the blanks. We asked why and she said his boat just got fixed and put back in the water because I did the SAME THING last weekend! Scream and tears!....Oh No I understand. I feel so bad for you.

This past week we counted on average four boats hitting the rocks. and get this! There is a huge sign that says caution "LOON CHICKS".
every boat has headed for the LOON CHICK sign and the hit the rocks. Go figure!

WE try to help as much as we can....BUT IT will never end. We see people holding up their charts and we think they will be OK. But no... they still hit the rocks.

What is the problem with these people. We just hate to see them have a awful day when we hear the sound. We wish we could help but it is always too late.

All I can say is please people look at your chart and understand what it means and GO SLOW and PAY ATTENTION!

Fair winds.....and Happy sailing!

Chasedawg

Rich 08-19-2014 10:20 PM

Wow, I could feel the pain with each thud that you described.

Perhaps install a webcam. It may make for some interesting youtube videos!

Where, may I ask, are these aluminum magnetized rocks?

I always try hard to follow all markers and charts, but have been caught off guard myself.

Knowing the area you are talking about will allow me to preview the charts and be well aware of the issue.

Aguamenti 08-19-2014 11:25 PM

Are you on Chases facing Farm?

Lakegeezer 08-20-2014 05:46 AM

Additional markers?

We had a similar navigational challenge in our neighborhood, although I can't figure out why. There is a buoy set out from an island, marking a ridge of rocks from the island that are close to the surface. Yet, once or twice a year, someone (including once a marine patrol boat) went on the wrong side of the marker and hit rocks. The solution, as discovered by a neighbor, was to add an additional white Clorox bottle buoy on the rock side of the marker. Since then, everyone figures out which side of the buoy to go on, and nobody has hit the rocks. A simple solution that maybe will work in your situation.

tis 08-20-2014 06:19 AM

By any chance are the Williams your neighbors?

cillovely 08-20-2014 07:24 AM

I try so hard to follow the chart to a T but I did get thrown off this year being up in Center Harbor and all the little islands which all look the same. So at one point (mind you I'm driving and trying to read the map at the same time while Hubby relaxes), I slow down because a marker was coming my way that wasn't on the map. All of a sudden Hubby yells lift the motor shut it down. Which thankfully I had the reflexes to do so, and wouldn't you know there was a huge rock under us! Thankfully no damage (especially where it was a rental). We also got turned around on another trip and all of a sudden we were facing the witches. Thankfully at that point I knew where I was and how to avoid them. I'll take the Rattlesnake Island area any day, I can identify that island so easy. And there isn't as many hidden rocks!

Like I said to my brother the other day who said how he'd love to come up to Winni with his boat "GET A MAP and FOLLOW IT CLOSELY".

ishoot308 08-20-2014 07:28 AM

If there are that many people hitting the same rocks in front of your place then I would put out one or two clorox bottles by the rocks (illegal or not!) to help guide them. You may just save someones life! I would then inform marine patrol of the situation and request them to install additional navigational aids (markers) to assist boaters in that area.

Yes there are a lot of inexperienced boaters out there who either make mistakes or don't know how to read a navigation chart properly or not at all. I have been boating the lake most of my life and have made mistakes and been on the wrong side of the marker like EVERYONE else here. Let's help these people as much as we can as none of them deserve to die in a boating accident which could be easily prevented.

Dan

chocophile 08-20-2014 07:53 AM

Stay Close to Chases Island

The correct side of the buoys is close to Chases Island, with a lot of water on the other side to Farm Island. I guess some people just assume the correct side is the one with more water.

I like the idea of another buoy (or more likely a pair, with one on each side of the no-wake zone).

BroadHopper 08-20-2014 08:11 AM

One way to keep the boneheads at bay!

secondcurve 08-20-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 231660)

Have a little compassion. My guess is you have it a rock or two. I busted one prop up pretty good outside of the Graveyard. Very painful!

Phantom 08-20-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 231660)

Broadhopper-- that was clearly uncalled for !

Are you telling this forum you have NEVER got disoriented or cut the wrong side of a marker ?

If so ........................
(Never mind)

Rich 08-21-2014 08:18 AM

Chasedawg,

I'd still like to know where this place is on the lake. If you prefer, PM me and I won't repeat it. ;)

Thanks!

BroadHopper 08-21-2014 08:26 AM

Posted last year

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 231692)
Broadhopper-- that was clearly uncalled for !

Are you telling this forum you have NEVER got disoriented or cut the wrong side of a marker ?

If so ........................
(Never mind)

I hit the rocks off of The Witches. Only because the marker was way off. I'm not the only one as others have complained. I took until this spring when the buoy was finally in the right place.

About 7 PM last night a pontoon rental was stuck in The Witches, I called it in and the MP was there in minutes. Stuck around until everyone is safe. Found out the pontoon boat only had a 25 HP motor so that it can be rented out to people without a boater's certificate! Someone needs to change that. Also found out it was the skipper first time boating and he was lost trying to find the Weirs. He didn't know there was a map on board?????

jeffk 08-21-2014 10:57 AM

The world is full of clueless people who run around banging into things. :rolleye1: While I would also offer to help if I was nearby, the extent of my sympathy has become limited. When you run around in ignorance and carelessness, bad things will eventually happen. The teen daughter is an example. She did it before and her dad lets her take the boat again? Duh! Was she texting at the same time? Hope he has lots and lots of spare cash because neither he nor his daughter seemed to have learned anything the first time around.

Now I also get how even careful people can ding a rock in this lake. I did it on an unmarked rock when I started boating here 20 years ago. It's an unfortunate cost of boating around here. If you stay in the main boating lanes the chances of it happening are far less. I explore other areas on a jet ski or kayak. No more propeller dings since.

brk-lnt 08-21-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 231760)
The world is full of clueless people who run around banging into things. :rolleye1: While I would also offer to help if I was nearby, the extent of my sympathy has become limited.

I tend to have the same viewpoint as you. I haven't hit anything *yet* but I also go pretty slow and cautiously if I'm in an area I don't know well. On this lake, or any other.

chasedawg 08-21-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 231729)
Chasedawg,

I'd still like to know where this place is on the lake. If you prefer, PM me and I won't repeat it. ;)

Thanks!

My apologies Rich....It has been sort of mention several posts in this thread.
It is between Chases and Farm Islands over towards the NE side of the lake and in the 19 Mile Bay area. It is on the South side of Chases and the North side of Farm Islands. It is in the NWZ. There are two black and white markers. As someone mentioned earlier there is more open water closer to Farm Island.

The narrow side or North side of the markers and the correct passage is along Chases Island. It is clearly marked on the charts. The rocks are in about 4' of water at high water. It always gets those who do not pay attention to the NWZ and the black markers.

One of the issues I feel is how the black markers are placed. The far West one is closer to Farm Island. So if one is not paying attention and look at both markers it appears that safe passage would be to go between them. Obviously, that is the worst possible course to take and "another one hits the rocks" will most likely will occur. If they are obeying and following the rules of the NWZ ( We know about that discussion in another post) they will probably clear the rocks. And those that do will generally let out a frantic scream...STOP!...ROCKS!

It has been mention by VitaBene that we should hire a painter and paint the rocks florescent. LOL :<)

What would you do?

jrc 08-21-2014 02:07 PM

Well if I read you right there are four damaged boats a week in there. That's a 30-40 boats a season. I'd think the MP would take notice and improve the markers.

If they are not interested, you could obviously do something. Two 12" round orange buoys, $35 each at Amazon, 20' of nylon line and two cinder blocks, for less than $100 and an hour of time you could mark the two biggest rocks on the bad side of the markers.

I guess it depends how much it bothers you that this is happening, it doesn't sound like anyone is getting hurt. So how much time and money are you willing to spend to prevent total strangers from breaking their boats.

Rich 08-21-2014 02:59 PM

Chasedawg,

Thanks for clarifying. I haven't made it over to that part of the lake yet, so I'm happy to have your clarifications.

I looked at the Navionics web app map (http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en ), and I can see how some could be confused.

BroadHopper 08-21-2014 03:31 PM

The Lakeport Channel

Is clearly marked with channel buoys yet I have seen many people ignore the Headway speed marker and plane right into the rocks in front of Irwin Marine. On occasion someone would float some Clorox bottles in the area hoping it would be a deterrent.

I would like to make two proposals to NH legislature. One all motorized rental vessels regardless of horsepower, the lessee must pass the boater's safety course. Two, lessors of motorized vessels must inform the lessees of all safety features such as a map, life jackets, throwables, whistle etc. Unless there are already on the books.

I don't think this is too much to ask.

chasedawg 08-21-2014 05:26 PM

Just now...another one hit the rocks!

I can't believe it. My wife is sitting out on our deck just now and she said to me "another one hit the rocks". This was at 6:25 PM this evening. I went out to see if they needed help. It was a elderly couple and it looked like a brand new Colbalt! I waved to them to see if I could help. They went slow for a long way then opened the boat up to WOT. Good luck to them. Hopefully they will make it home.

TiltonBB 08-21-2014 05:43 PM

What is the difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 231779)
Is clearly marked with channel buoys yet I have seen many people ignore the Headway speed marker and plane right into the rocks in front of Irwin Marine. On occasion someone would float some Clorox bottles in the area hoping it would be a deterrent.

I would like to make two proposals to NH legislature. One all motorized rental vessels regardless of horsepower, the lessee must pass the boater's safety course. Two, lessors of motorized vessels must inform the lessees of all safety features such as a map, life jackets, throwables, whistle etc. Unless there are already on the books.

I don't think this is too much to ask.

I agree with the concept but you can't legislate common sense. I am against more laws and regulations. There are many licensed, seasoned boaters on this lake that violate the rules daily. Two of the most significant accidents on the lake in recent years were with very seasoned boaters at the helm.

If someone rents a vessel to head out on the lake and doesn't have, or inquire about a chart, then there is not much hope. If they are not smart enough to know they they need it then what would you expect? You can't fix s.....

I was going through the Weirs Channel today and someone was coming towards me in the middle of the channel. I was operating a boat with a 14 foot beam. After honking at them three times, motioning to them, they forced me aside and as they passed asked me what I wanted. I explained that they couldn't take their half in the middle. They didn't get it. They went under the bridge, dead center.

It's getting worse. I have seen more violations and dumb moves in the last month than I have in the previous 5 years.

Chaselady 08-21-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 231774)
Well if I read you right there are four damaged boats a week in there. That's a 30-40 boats a season. I'd think the MP would take notice and improve the markers.

If they are not interested, you could obviously do something. Two 12" round orange buoys, $35 each at Amazon, 20' of nylon line and two cinder blocks, for less than $100 and an hour of time you could mark the two biggest rocks on the bad side of the markers.

I guess it depends how much it bothers you that this is happening, it doesn't sound like anyone is getting hurt. So how much time and money are you willing to spend to prevent total strangers from breaking their boats.

If they don't see the 2 no-wake markers, the 2 black and white spar markers, and the rather LARGE floating, orange floating sign that says "Caution! Caution"
(Warning of loon chicks in the area) they aren't going to see any more bouys.

Chaselady 08-21-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 231785)
I agree with the concept but you can't legislate common sense. I am against more laws and regulations. There are many licensed, seasoned boaters on this lake that violate the rules daily. Two of the most significant accidents on the lake in recent years were with very seasoned boaters at the helm.

If someone rents a vessel to head out on the lake and doesn't have, or inquire about a chart, then there is not much hope. If they are not smart enough to know they they need it then what would you expect? You can't fix s.....

I was going through the Weirs Channel today and someone was coming towards me in the middle of the channel. I was operating a boat with a 14 foot beam. After honking at them three times, motioning to them, they forced me aside and as they passed asked me what I wanted. I explained that they couldn't take their half in the middle. They didn't get it. They went under the bridge, dead center.

It's getting worse. I have seen more violations and dumb moves in the last month than I have in the previous 5 years.

I agree, you can't legislate common sense. And you can't fix stupid. But when you let inexperienced people go out on the lake, piloting a boat, with little to no experience, it puts everyone else on the water at risk.
It's not all about that driver, yeah, I know, they're on vacation...we can't ruin their "fun" This is NH, the "Live free or die " State
It's also about us, who have to share the water, and our kids, who also are out there on the water.
We can't rent a car without a (real) license. Why do we allow people to drive on the lake without that real experience?

Misha888 08-21-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 231761)
I tend to have the same viewpoint as you. I haven't hit anything *yet* but I also go pretty slow and cautiously if I'm in an area I don't know well. On this lake, or any other.

Sincerely, you can't fix ignorance as made apparent by the "teen" who did it before.

It is really unimaginable to me why people still try and go between Pig and Varney Point. At least 2x a year someone tries even if you yell at them to back up they ignore you and the big sign painted in red lettering that say ROCKS! Danger. Typical response "I got it" as they hit the rocks, grind the prop . . .

Great story telling too. Thank you.

Bmcgov78 08-21-2014 08:50 PM

WE have a place right Near Chase and Farm. As a matter of fact I can see it from my Dock. First of all, clearly I have to pay better attention while i relax, I haven t seen anyone loose a Prop this season lol. Although I do see several idiots a week burn through there and Ignore both the NWZ and the Loon chic sign. But I have to disagree, although I had a boat growing up in that area as a kid. I only recently bought a boat 3 seasons ago. I think it is pretty strait forward, go north of the 2 Black top buoys. In the 3 seasons Ive put about 180 hrs out on the lake and there are much more dangerous and complicated places the deal with. if they can't navigate that properly then they have issues.

jrc 08-21-2014 10:02 PM

Chaselady, the other Chase asks what he could do, I don't know the area very well, I always go around those islands not between. But more buoys is really the only practical solution. You say there are enough buoys now but at the current hit rate, eventually someone is going to get hurt.

Misha, I take my kayak between Pig and Varney every weekend, I can't believe anyone would try to bring a boat through. Sometimes my kayak scrapes the rocks. I still don't know how the guy gets his Campion in there, especially in the fall.

Bear Islander 08-21-2014 11:19 PM

The Marine Patrol do not have a problem with bleach bottles that are placed in an area to be helpful. Naturally they reserve the right to remove them if they don't like the placement.

I think what would work here is to find an old busted in half boat and secure it up on the rocks. That might give boaters a visual indication of which side of the markers they should be on.

Then you could have a cute name for the area like "Hole in Boat Bay" or "Propeller Pile Cove". I was sailing the coast of Antarctica when we came on a large dangerous rock. The chart actually had it's name "Full Astern Rock".

http://icetent.net/page/2/

Rich 08-22-2014 06:34 AM

So is this how Nipple Rock got its name? :laugh:

Coolbreeze 08-22-2014 06:52 AM

The gap between Big and Little Barndoor

We have a similar problem here except boats are on full plane and don't see the tiny not navigable markers. The water depth goes from plenty to 2 feet with big rocks and these boats hit hard and stop dead. There have been many hulls, lower drives, kids on tubes, props and human noses broken in this spot. It can be scary; especially at night.

PTBoater 08-24-2014 07:29 AM

Great read for new teen boater

Thanks for all these posts, stories and details. My 15 year old son is a not-yet licensed boater in our part-time boating family. We are regular Winnisquam boaters and drive with the chart out finding most every marker when on the 'big lake' so we know where we are all the times. Even with diligence we have found ourselves on the wrong side of markers. Each time not serious and great lessons 'for him'. I came across this blog and enjoyed the writing style on a serious subject so I started reading out loud to both my teens around the campfire. Since we couldn't envision the hazard zones, he ran to get the lake chart. We found each place mentioned as I read and we all had a great discussion about safety, stupidity, tolerance, kindness and responsibility.
Not naut for naught.

dickiej 08-24-2014 07:55 AM

Several years ago my son and I were fishing the mouth of the Merrimac River around dusk when a cigarette boat came barreling in through the mouth around 60 mph and hit the rocks near toothpick on the Salisbury side. Thank god, no one seriously hurt, but pretty much a total loss of a $60,000 boat!

CrownRay 08-25-2014 09:11 AM

Been there, done that!

I am not afraid to admit that I have hit rocks also. It was over by the Weirs, out by Governors' Island and that other island (can't remember the name) where the NWZ is. And I have been on this lake 25+ years. Saw them coming. Jammed it into reverse, spun the wheel and JUST clipped it. Took the boat to the marina right after and got it up on a lift. Thankfully, no damage...just a scratch on the hull.

I will say that being on the ocean 97 percent of the time, I get spoiled with channel buoys and day markers! That's not to say, however, that at least once every weekend, I hear MAYDAY calls from mostly sailboats (usually from out-of-town ) hung up on the rocks just outside Logan Airport. Usually you hear the Coast Guard say "Just wait until High Tide" (Well, not always!)

Nobody's perfect, but the Charts are printed for a reason. Situational awareness needs to be really drilled into peoples' heads when they get their licenses...

RumGuy 08-25-2014 10:10 AM

Close

Just a heads up (one that I was fortunate on!): The blinking light at Sandy Point is considerably INSIDE the marker. Heading to the Bay for ice cream , I gave decent berth to the blinker, only to get spooked by the black marker sliding by the boat. I only wish I could get a dock post that close when landing....

Dave R 08-25-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RumGuy (Post 231981)
Just a heads up (one that I was fortunate on!): The blinking light at Sandy Point is considerably INSIDE the marker. Heading to the Bay for ice cream , I gave decent berth to the blinker, only to get spooked by the black marker sliding by the boat. I only wish I could get a dock post that close when landing....

I've heard that unless you draw 6 feet or more, there's nothing to hit between the markers at Sandy Point.

NH_boater 08-25-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 231996)
I've heard that unless you draw 6 feet or more, there's nothing to hit between the markers at Sandy Point.

Yup. Mainly for Mount.

LIforrelaxin 08-25-2014 03:40 PM

ChaseDawg, I know the area very well.... I have been boat in that area of the lake for 25 years now.... It amazes me every year how many people screw up goinging between chase and farm island. Not having lived in that specific area however I had never noticed just how many boats are damaged through there. Although I have once or twice been told that I was an idiot and on the wrong side of the markers, in which case I just stayed quite and prayed for the other guy...

I don't believe that there is any more that needs to be done by the MP as far as additional AtoNs. The danger area is very well marked. I would not try and put additional rock markers out there, because it will certainly only add to the confusion.

The problem for some reason in that area of the lake, is that people seem to loose a conception of where north really is. And because that side of the lake is not as busy as the southern side of the lake there aren't always people to "follow".... Thus on the northern side of the lake there always are more rocking hitting episodes, in certain areas.

You are doing your part, by helping people out when they screw up. You check on them, and help them out, that is what is important and you should be commended for. The only thing further you could do is look at their map with them to see how they got the impression that they where doing the right thing.

On another not no matter how well things are marked, some people just seem to be inclined to leave there mark on rocks... I have a rock to the side of my dock, that I have marked. My neighbor thought it was a good idea too, after he hit it several times.... even though he knew it was there. So each year it gets a noticeably bouy anchored by it, almost as soon as the ice goes out. One Spring a few years ago some guy was trolling along the shore before any docks where in, and I was working on the camp, I very audibly heard a passenger say, "that bouy probably marks a rock". The next thing I heard was a loud thud. When I looked They where examining a just newly converted 2 bladed prop.... Luckily they had a trolling motor and putted away, but not before hitting another rock, several doors down, for good measure. The second hit of course was there hull hitting the rock, so they didn't damage the trolling motor prop. I did eventually see the boat, down at the marina, being repaired, but I always wondered, if that skipper set out on the day, to find all rocks close to shore. If he did, he was doing a dam good job of it.

Wolfeboro_Baja 08-25-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RumGuy (Post 231981)
....I only wish I could get a dock post that close when landing....

Practice, practice, practice! :D

RumGuy 08-26-2014 06:45 AM

close again

It wasn't that I was on the wrong side of the marker, it was that I missed hitting it by a very narrow margin. I have watched countless boats run the wrong side of that marker without issue over the years, and have wondered what the situation there is. Similar with the markers at the South end of Rattlesnake.
As for landings, I practice whenever possible: At least once for every trip out, and I make those trips at any chance I can!

DBreskin 08-27-2014 09:16 AM

I volunteer at a Boy Scout camp; the Health Staff there sell T-shirts with the slogan "Stupidity should be painful".

If boat operators have to repair their boats often enough, they'll learn to navigate properly or stop boating. Either option will stop close encounters with rocks.

glastron guy 09-01-2014 08:41 PM

A few weeks ago my wife and I were near the witches and saw a good sized boat going right through the middle of that area at a fairly high rate of speed. We tried motioning him to slow down and to turn away but he just waved back at us and kept going. How he made it is beyond me but he did.