Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Back to business by Easter (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25474)

Seaplane Pilot 03-28-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329461)
And that’s the point. A large proportion of our workforce is prohibited from making a living while an infinitesimally small percentage of our total population is infected with the Chinese coronavirus. During the last 3 months, while we lost a little over 1,000 Americans to the Chinese coronavirus, we have lost -

5000 due to the flu (100,000 hospitalized)
6000 due to car accidents (750,000 injured)
150,000 due to cancer primarily from smoking yet we allow tobacco products
150,000 due to heart disease
20,000 due to alcoholism yet we sell alcohol
10,000 due to opioid overdose yet we have free needle exchange

How difficult is it to see that we may have overreacted to this particular risk. Like ApS stated all of us are affected whether we like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Major. The liberal fear-mongers hate the facts. All I can picture is the scene from the Wizard of Oz when the Wicked Witch has water dumped on her. “I’m melting, I’m melting”!!! Facts are to liberals, as water was to the witch.

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 329464)
Thanks Major. The liberal fear-mongers hate the facts. All I can picture is the scene from the Wizard of Oz when the Wicked Witch has water dumped on her. “I’m melting, I’m melting”!!! Facts are to liberals, as water was to the witch.

Great point! Check out these Liberal Fear-Mongers at the CDC and their Goddamned expert opinions under-lied with expert reasoning and facts!

“More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the United States in the coming days, including more instances of community spread. CDC expects that widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur. In the coming months, most of the U.S. population will be exposed to this virus.

Widespread transmission of COVID-19 could translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, and workplaces, may experience more absenteeism. Mass gatherings may be sparsely attended or postponed. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and sectors of the transportation industry may also be affected. Healthcare providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it. Nonpharmaceutical interventions will be the most important response strategy to try to delay the spread of the virus and reduce the impact of disease.”

The Real BigGuy 03-28-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not to Worry (Post 329393)
First which side am I on? I think we all know politicians are whores and do what they need to do to stay in office.. Having said that I believe they are doing the best they can in an impossible situation. To get a bill passed and to get it quickly passed had to mean both sides made concessions. I do not believe that there is any way to just isolate the USA so we are bound to look at al manners of aid that can directly and indirectly help us. I personally do not believe ***** is doing a great job...you may disagree or agree...it does not matter. I think what matters is some civility to each other as we all try to get through this. No?

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

The Real BigGuy 03-28-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 329397)
Thanks FLL for a useful and somewhat funny post! :eek:

I honestly didn't know he was a republican. I just assumed (my first mistake) that since he was writing for CNN...well you understand.:D

Either way he still wrote a factual, heartfelt and non partisan article on the crap going on in DC regarding the stimulus bill to which I agree fully.

Dan

Hardly a non-partisan article. Unless you are leaning way to the right. His only non-partisan part was that both sides are true politicians doing only what is best for the party, not what is best for the country.

Biggd 03-28-2020 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329461)
And that’s the point. A large proportion of our workforce is prohibited from making a living while an infinitesimally small percentage of our total population is infected with the Chinese coronavirus. During the last 3 months, while we lost a little over 1,000 Americans to the Chinese coronavirus, we have lost -

5000 due to the flu (100,000 hospitalized)
6000 due to car accidents (750,000 injured)
150,000 due to cancer primarily from smoking yet we allow tobacco products
150,000 due to heart disease
20,000 due to alcoholism yet we sell alcohol
10,000 due to opioid overdose yet we have free needle exchange

How difficult is it to see that we may have overreacted to this particular risk. Like ApS stated all of us are affected whether we like it or not.

Forget about the total deaths for a minute. Do you not have any compassion for the health care workers who are fighting a losing battle trying to keep people alive and stay healthy themselves?
The quickness of the spread is overwhelming our health care system and this is with the measures we've taken. What happens if we lose all these health care workers to sickness? Who is going to take care of the sick, you?

MAXUM 03-28-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenGilford (Post 329466)
Great point! Check out these Liberal Fear-Mongers at the CDC and their Goddamned expert opinions under-lied with expert reasoning and facts!

“More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the United States in the coming days, including more instances of community spread. CDC expects that widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur. In the coming months, most of the U.S. population will be exposed to this virus.

Widespread transmission of COVID-19 could translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, and workplaces, may experience more absenteeism. Mass gatherings may be sparsely attended or postponed. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and sectors of the transportation industry may also be affected. Healthcare providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it. Nonpharmaceutical interventions will be the most important response strategy to try to delay the spread of the virus and reduce the impact of disease.”

GOOD the quicker everyone is exposed to this the quicker we have a large number of people with a natural immunity to this thing and be done with it.

All the side effects as described are already happening anyways as mandated by the government to shutdown or severely cripple businesses, movement of people and social gatherings.

Finally and more importantly these "experts" are operating on opinions that vary widely and the only factual data they have to work with is what numbers are known at the moment, that is number of confirmed infections and deaths. THIS IS A PARTIAL PICTURE of the actual full story. Even these "experts" acknowledge the hard numbers as reported now representing infections may be as little as 12% of the actual number. So based on that the US currently has 104K confirmed cases, lets say this number really is only 12% that would indicate that over 1,000,000 have been exposed. With a total of 1693 deaths this thing is no more deadly in fact less deadly than any other variation of the flu.

So who's "facts" and "numbers" are right? Well I guess that all comes down to how you assemble the "facts" and "opinions" now doesn't it?!?

Whole thing is turning hysterically comical. I think half the population is scared of their own shadow for cripes sake.

WinnisquamZ 03-28-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 329472)
Forget about the total deaths for a minute. Do you not have any compassion for the health care workers who are fighting a losing battle trying to keep people alive and stay healthy themselves?
The quickness of the spread is overwhelming our health care system and this is with the measures we've taken. What happens if we lose all these health care workers to sickness? Who is going to take care of the sick, you?

We can’t thank the health workers enough at times like these. The same can be said for police and fire when their number gets called. With that said, all the panic coming from the health care professionals is discouraging. Adds no value. Everyone is overwhelmed and doing their best

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 329476)
GOOD the quicker everyone is exposed to this the quicker we have a large number of people with a natural immunity to this thing and be done with it.

"Yay! Let's overwhelm the healthcare system and ensure the maximum number of people die so that we can get back to making money!"

Quote:

Finally and more importantly these "experts" are operating on opinions that vary widely and the only factual data they have to work with is what numbers are known at the moment, that is number of confirmed infections and deaths. THIS IS A PARTIAL PICTURE of the actual full story. Even these "experts" acknowledge the hard numbers as reported now representing infections may be as little as 12% of the actual number. So based on that the US currently has 104K confirmed cases, lets say this number really is only 12% that would indicate that over 1,000,000 have been exposed. With a total of 1693 deaths this thing is no more deadly in fact less deadly than any other variation of the flu.

So who's "facts" and "numbers" are right? Well I guess that all comes down to how you assemble the "facts" and "opinions" now doesn't it?!?

"These experts are only drawing the best conclusions they can from an incomplete set of data by using their extensive judgement and experience. There are differing projections but they all currently show that the worst is yet to come and while the measures we are currently taking are having an effect, we don't have anywhere in the country that has reach the 'apex' of the curve, and indeed other hotspots seem to be breaking out. FAKE NEWS!

But dear leader ***** thinks we can open up by Easter based on his gut feeling and the fact that Easter is a 'beautiful day'. NOW THERE'S SOME ANALYSIS I CAN GET ON BOARD WITH!"

Biggd 03-28-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 329477)
We can’t thank the health workers enough at times like these. The same can be said for police and fire when their number gets called. With that said, all the panic coming from the health care professionals is discouraging. Adds no value. Everyone is overwhelmed and doing their best

My oldest daughter is an RN so I know the panic is real.

Biggd 03-28-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenGilford (Post 329479)

But dear leader ***** thinks we can open up by Easter based on his gut feeling and the fact that Easter is a 'beautiful day'. NOW THERE'S SOME ANALYSIS I CAN GET ON BOARD WITH!"

But he's trying to make us all feel better, don't you feel better now? :rolleye2:

WinnisquamZ 03-28-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 329480)

Panic from the public is expected. The level of panic from the professionals is disappointing. They are the ones trained and expected to provide and guide the public though times like these, they can do better

Not to Worry 03-28-2020 08:01 AM

mental mindset

Quote:

All the side effects as described are already happening anyways as mandated by the government to shutdown or severely cripple businesses, movement of people and social gatherings.

Whole thing is turning hysterically comical. I think half the population is scared of their own shadow for cripes sake.

Every expert that I have heard says this far more deadly than the flu. Where did you get your "facts" from... because you do not have any basis to make that fake claim.

I am sure the current infection and death rate are very, very under counted. Many more are already infected and many have died that have not been counted. Can I prove that? Nope. But I can prove that people have had it but not been tested and I can logically infer that people who die that were not tested do not show up as a stat.

I cannot help wondering what mental mindset a person has to have that it is important to their own psyche to deny the obvious. I know Major has already confessed to being a dolt, so at least I understand him.

IrishEyes 03-28-2020 08:02 AM

Interview with Dr. Fauci - March 26, 2020

http://www.cc.com/shows/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah

SailinAway 03-28-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 329472)
What happens if we lose all these health care workers to sickness? Who is going to take care of the sick, you?

Also, what happens when food supply workers get sick? Farmers, harvesters, packers, truck drivers, grocery store employees. Who is going to provide our food?

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

With a total of 1693 deaths this thing is no more deadly in fact less deadly than any other variation of the flu.

This year the flu has killed between 139 and 358 per day.

On Friday COVID-19 killed 332 people in a single day, and this number is climbing daily.

SailinAway 03-28-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Your post encourages me because I'm pretty sure I'm going to outlive you, since you probably aren't going to be taking precautions to protect yourself from this fake pandemic. On the other hand, there's a high likelihood that your disbelief is going to kill me.

SailinAway 03-28-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 329480)

The news is full of first-person, on-the-scene accounts from doctors and nurses describing what it's like to be trying to treat people with inadequate equipment (ventilators, etc.) and personal protection, with no cure for the virus, in chaotic hospitals. How could they not be panicking? What reason do the rest of us have for not being alarmed?

SailinAway 03-28-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 329484)
Panic from the public is expected. The level of panic from the professionals is disappointing. They are the ones trained and expected to provide and guide the public though times like these, they can do better

Health workers can only provide healthcare and guide the public through the crisis if they have the support of a government that is making rational decisions about the crisis, responding to it in a timely manner, and providing health workers with the facilities and equipment they need. This is not what has happened. You would panic too if you were too dedicated to abandon a job that was likely to kill you.

fatlazyless 03-28-2020 09:37 AM

..... GulfTEC Full Synthetic dexos-1 Gen 2 Motor Oil

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 329463)

...... say-hey ......this Irving w/ $1.49 gas ...... somewhere in NH? ...... might be ten cents cheaper than the Golden Pond, but for $1.59, Golden Pond has old man Henry Fonda who comes outside, says hellooooooo, pumps the gas, washes the windshield, checks the oil, and usually tries to sell you a quart of GulfTEC Full Synthetic dexos-1 Gen 2 Motor Oil for 6.99/quart ..... so watch out for him!

Biggd 03-28-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 329484)
They are the ones trained and expected to provide and guide the public though times like these, they can do better

I sure hope you and your family are well and don't need medical care anytime soon because they can't do any better unless they get enough of the appropriate equipment.

Newbiesaukee 03-28-2020 12:57 PM

Being panicked and doing your job are not mutually exclusive.

4 for Boating 03-28-2020 01:18 PM

Seems to me that what this is highlighting is the further need for the US to try to bring back manufacturing of critical supplies, resources and drugs ingredients and become more self sufficient.

I think I have heard that before somewhere...

C-Bass 03-28-2020 01:28 PM

$1.49 at the Irving in Moultonborough.

thinkxingu 03-28-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Bass (Post 329539)
$1.49 at the Irving in Moultonborough.

I almost stopped to fill up, but I only needed 4 or 5 gallons. $2.24 at home, still. Sad face!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenGilford (Post 329495)

Almost 500 deaths today

I hope everyone now agrees that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. It's now just a case of narrowing in on just how much worse it is.

The World Health Organization is reporting a mortality rate of 4.6% based on worldwide confirmed positives and deaths. We know this is likely to be the extreme upper bound of the mortality rate due to under reporting and lack of testing.

In the US the current mortality rate based on known infections is 1.9%, with the same caveats as above.

On Wednesday March 11th, Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee "COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu" which would be at least a 1% mortality rate.

Still think we are overreacting?

Seaplane Pilot 03-28-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenGilford (Post 329591)
Almost 500 deaths today

I hope everyone now agrees that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. It's now just a case of narrowing in on just how much worse it is.

The World Health Organization is reporting a mortality rate of 4.6% based on worldwide confirmed positives and deaths. We know this is likely to be the extreme upper bound of the mortality rate due to under reporting and lack of testing.

In the US the current mortality rate based on known infections is 1.9%, with the same caveats as above.

On Wednesday March 11th, Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee "COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu" which would be at least a 1% mortality rate.

“Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.“ General John Stark.

Major 03-28-2020 08:42 PM

Back to business by Easter

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenGilford (Post 329591)
Almost 500 deaths today

More than ever. I shudder to think how we will react to a real crisis in which our liberties and freedoms are at stake. Fauci’s a hack. I’m confident he’s not worried about whether he’s going to receive his next paycheck. Not like my son who is furloughed for three months and worried about whether he has a job to return to after all this nonsense.

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 329595)

You're happy for 3.6million or more Americans to needlessly die? It's fine if you do, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I find it abhorrent, but it's fine.

Major 03-28-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenGilford (Post 329600)
You're happy for 3.6million or more Americans to needlessly die? It's fine if you do, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I find it abhorrent, but it's fine.

Fake news.

SailinAway 03-28-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

The worst evil I can think of at the moment is dying alone on a cot in a makeshift "hospital" in a gymnasium because there's no ventilator that could save my life . . . because my government failed to prepare for a pandemic ages ago, when it knew it was unprepared and knew that a pandemic was inevitable at some point, and failed to take timely action when it was clear that a pandemic was developing.

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329599)
More than ever. I shudder to think how we will react to a real crisis in which our liberties and freedoms are at stake. Fauci’s a hack. I’m confident he’s not worried about whether he’s going to receive his next paycheck. Not like my son who is furloughed for three months and worried about whether he has a job to return to after all this nonsense.

But no alternative sources of facts? Do you accept the facts but just don't care? Your son's next 3 paychecks is more important to you than the lives of 3.6million or more Americans?

Same as above, great for you if that's your outlook on life. I find it abhorrent, but you're welcome to your opinion.

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329601)
Fake news.

:laugh: Oh dear. Oh well. I tried but with people like you there is no reasoning. Enjoy your Fox News / OANN bubble, and your "I got mines, screw everyone else" attitude.

SailinAway 03-28-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329599)
Fauci’s a hack.

Which epidemiologist, in your opinion is NOT a hack? What expert should we listen to? Please post a link to a scientist or epidemiologist who you think is credible. You are reading the scientific evidence, are you not? I assume you are, because you project yourself as so well informed about the level of threat.

"Medical Expert Who Corrects ***** Is Now a Target of the Far Right": https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/t...gtype=Homepage

"An analysis by The New York Times found over 70 accounts on Twitter that have promoted the hashtag #FauciFraud, with some tweeting as frequently as 795 times a day. The anti-Fauci sentiment is being reinforced by posts from Tom Fitton, the president of Judicial Watch, a conservative group; Bill Mitchell, host of the far-right online talk show “YourVoice America”; and other outspoken ***** supporters such as Shiva Ayyadurai, who has falsely claimed to be the inventor of email.

"Many of the anti-Fauci posts . . . have been retweeted thousands of times. On YouTube, conspiracy-theory videos about Dr. Fauci have racked up hundreds of thousands of views in the past week. In private Facebook groups, posts disparaging him have also been shared hundreds of times and liked by thousands of people, according to the Times analysis. . . . The campaign against Dr. Fauci stands out because he is one of the world’s leading infectious disease experts."

Major 03-28-2020 08:53 PM

I’ll bet you my house 3,200,000 Americans will not die from this. We’re at 2000, a long way from 3,200,000. Hyperbolic!

SailinAway 03-28-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329607)
I’ll bet you my house 3,200,000 Americans will not die from this. We’re at 2000, a long way from 3,200,000. Hyperbolic!

I'll bet MY house that you can't provide any credible scientific evidence to support your claim that COVOID-19 isn't a real crisis. I can't decide whether you're a troll or just a very socially immature narcissist.

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329607)
3,200,000 Americans will not die from this.

I agree. Because of the reaction (that you call an overreaction).

If we do nothing until it's too late, like you seem to advocate, then 3.2million+ will die from the virus, exacerbated by the overwhelming of the medical system.

Major 03-28-2020 09:06 PM

You know what I find abhorrent? That there are American citizens so willing to give up their rights because politicians and government hacks tell them to do so and sound authoritative while doing it. You can cower in Gilford. That’s your right. But don’t go telling me that you have all the so-called facts because pointy headed Washington bureaucrats are crying that the sky is falling.

And you bet my a$$ I care a lot more about my son than some jerk from Gilford.

StevenGilford 03-28-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 329611)
And you bet my a$$ I care a lot more about my son than some jerk from Gilford.

And this is the problem right here. This is not a me versus you issue, and the fact that you think it is, is very very sad.

ApS 03-28-2020 09:27 PM

Jobs in Washington State...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 329398)
I can understand the government wanting to help its distressed citizens, but why should any money go to corporations?

They don't vote, they can't contract the coronavirus. Oh, and how in hell is the treasury going to come up with an extra two trillion dollars? The national deficit mounts and nobody, but nobody, seems to care. It's almost enough to make me think fondly of Bill Clinton: at least he knew what a balanced budget was.

Boeing has asked suppliers to prepare for a resumption of production of 737-Max by May, 2020.
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...-by-may-report

gillygirl 03-28-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

You go first!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app