Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   "Social Distancing" at the Lake (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25414)

Mr. V 03-13-2020 09:59 AM

Seems pretty simple to me.

People who don't care whether or not they contract the virus can blithely not practice "social distancing," whereas those who must avoid it due to underlying health problems or those who simply don't want to catch the flu will practice it.

Your choice.

Life free or try.

MAXUM 03-13-2020 10:17 AM

Depends on if you are looking for an actual measurement of thickness versus how many layers would be created as a result.

Susie Cougar 03-13-2020 10:28 AM

.1*2(40)=
I am assuming that the paper is .1 mm thick.

Top-Water 03-13-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 327693)
Depends on if you are looking for an actual measurement of thickness versus how many layers would be created as a result.

Now you talking like Bill Clinton trying to figure out what the defenition of is, is. :liplick:

There is a solution to FlyingScot question but it has to be written correctly with all the necesarry data in order to be solved.

Susie Cougar 03-13-2020 10:36 AM

I wrote the formula wrong.

2^40x.1=
Same answer

Biggd 03-13-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 327600)
I love the newly coined phrase "social distancing" how quaint and politically correct.

It's a virus it will spread, some will die from it most will not. Simple as that. What is happening now is mass hysteria fueled by a 24X7 news cycle that has nothing better to do than whip up their viewers for ratings. That is not to downplay how severe it is, by creating mass panic it just makes it that much worse.

The world will survive this, mankind as we know it will not come to an end. If anything, we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate.

We could be like China and have all our news coming from the Government. :eek: They downplayed the virus until it was so bad they couldn't hide the results any longer.
My best friend has business associates over there and he said they all told him that it's much worse than the government is letting on.

Top-Water 03-13-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 327695)
.1*2(40)=
I am assuming that the paper is .1 mm thick.

If you fold it 42 times it would reach the moon and a little more at 1mm thick

-----------------------
Edit at work most of us agree its .0023 - .0025 inches thick is the averrage in inches. I think most paper is graded in {bonds}

Descant 03-13-2020 11:00 AM

Bar bet

Folding paper is an old bar bet. You can't fold it more than 8 times. Put your beer down and try it. Get a bigger piece of paper and try again. Now, give your credit card to the bartender. You lost twice.

MAXUM 03-13-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 327702)
Folding paper is an old bar bet. You can't fold it more than 8 times. Put your beer down and try it. Get a bigger piece of paper and try again. Now, give your credit card to the bartender. You lost twice.

But the question said Assuming we could fold the paper in half 40 times

Susie Cougar 03-13-2020 11:16 AM

Riverside Elementary School is holding an election to determine the new school color. 5/8 of the votes are for blue, 5/9 of the remaining votes are for green, and the remaining 48 votes are red. How many votes were for blue?

Do you like this question better? My daughter sent it to me a couple of weeks ago. She couldn’t figure it out. It’s fifth grade math.

Top-Water 03-13-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 327704)
Riverside Elementary School is holding an election to determine the new school color. 5/8 of the votes are for blue, 5/9 of the remaining votes are for green, and the remaining 48 votes are red. How many votes were for blue?

Do you like this question better? My daughter sent it to me a couple of weeks ago. She couldn’t figure it out. It’s fifth grade math.

I'm sorry to interrupt .... one little short moment........... but the best one on the forum was the one about Sea-Level - Water Level and what you can or could see from Alton To Center Harbor.

Now back to Susie's question.

gillygirl 03-13-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 327704)

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Susie Cougar 03-13-2020 12:57 PM

Good job, gillygirl!

gillygirl 03-13-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 327712)
Good job, gillygirl!

Crap, I've had enough math through my years that if I didn't get it, I'd get checked for early onset dementia.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

DickR 03-13-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillygirl (Post 327709)

Yes, you are correct, but any good teacher will subtract a few points for not showing the work. So, for the rest out there:

5/8 went for blue, leaving 3/8 for something else. 5/9 of that 3/8 went for green, leaving (4/9) x (3/8) = 0.1666666... (or 1/6) for the remainder,who went red. That 48 is 1/6 of 288, and the original 5/8 of 288 went blue, or 180.

FlyingScot 03-13-2020 04:16 PM

Nice work, Susie and Top Water! A couple of beers, or 4, or 8 or 16 or...are available for collection on my porch in June.

So like the folding paper--if the virus doubles 2 or 4 or 10 times, the whole thing will be seen as overblown--as Major and others have opined. But if it keeps doubling, we're really screwed, and we will have wished we did even more to slow the spread.

Susie Cougar 03-13-2020 04:34 PM

This is a whole lot more fun than talking about the coronavirus.

Mr. V 03-13-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 327733)

Then start a thread about it.

Hijacking this thread is poor form.

ApS 03-13-2020 05:27 PM

But It Is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 327733)

Exponential growth is talking about the coronavirus! :eek2:

nj2nh 03-14-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 327600)
I love the newly coined phrase "social distancing" how quaint and politically correct.

It's a virus it will spread, some will die from it most will not. Simple as that. What is happening now is mass hysteria fueled by a 24X7 news cycle that has nothing better to do than whip up their viewers for ratings. That is not to downplay how severe it is, by creating mass panic it just makes it that much worse.

The world will survive this, mankind as we know it will not come to an end. If anything, we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate.

No one can say for sure that this will dissipate in warm weather. Italy is warm. The Middle East is warm. Spain is warm. All are hot spots right now.

I prefer panic to complacency which is infinitely worse.

nj2nh 03-14-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andromeda321 (Post 327609)
Ok, boomer.

Ok, boomer? Could you be any ruder or more obnoxious? Since when did those born before 1964 become vilified and stupid?

gillygirl 03-15-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nj2nh (Post 327800)
Ok, boomer? Could you be any ruder or more obnoxious? Since when did those born before 1964 become vilified and stupid?

Didn’t you know that all the current ills of society were caused by boomers? [emoji19]

MAXUM 03-15-2020 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nj2nh (Post 327798)
No one can say for sure that this will dissipate in warm weather. Italy is warm. The Middle East is warm. Spain is warm. All are hot spots right now.

I prefer panic to complacency which is infinitely worse.

An interesting map showing the current "hot spots" as it relates to temperature.... all these areas are in a similar temperature band.

Again it's early to make assumptions here, but there certainly seems to be a trend forming. There have already been observations doing in labs indicating that temperature, more so humidity has a direct effect on the ease at which this spreads.

Mr. V 03-15-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nj2nh (Post 327800)
Ok, boomer? Could you be any ruder or more obnoxious?

I found the comment to be apt.

It's a dismissive shortcut, ala "that's enough, grandpa, now go watch Fox news."

It was a curt, on point response to Maxum's asinine claim that "we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate."

Andromeda321 03-17-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 327905)
I found the comment to be apt.

It's a dismissive shortcut, ala "that's enough, grandpa, now go watch Fox news."

It was a curt, on point response to Maxum's asinine claim that "we should be psyched for "global warming" as once it gets hot according to scientists this thing should dissipate."

Yes. It's not about age.

steve-on-mark 03-17-2020 03:00 PM

Property values

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 327610)
I think the property values of island properties just went up. ;)

As long as the increases offset our 401k losses!

TiltonBB 03-17-2020 03:44 PM

Two Positive Tests

Lakes Region General Hospital reports two positive tests:

From the Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ntent=headline

dippasan 03-17-2020 03:50 PM

Social distancing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andromeda321 (Post 327585)
Anyone else doing this in these strange times? My husband and I are now both on remote work for the foreseeable future, and our Internet is good up there, so we are decamping in the next few days to head up to the lake. Now that social distancing is the new trend I can't help but think it's basically what lake life is anyway- go for walks in the woods, kayak, and read a good book without getting within six feet of anyone else! :laugh:

This is going to also be our first time up there for ice out, so that'll be an interesting point in a spring I'm sure no one is going to forget anytime soon.

Social distancing at the lake is 150'

Top-Water 03-17-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 328089)
Social distancing at the lake is 150'

And ...... includes no wake clause ........:)

jeffk 03-17-2020 04:27 PM

No worries about "wake" because the lake is still frozen.

Seaplane Pilot 03-17-2020 05:48 PM

I can’t help but think of this song....

https://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic

In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive, they may find
In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today
In the year 4545
You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you
In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube
In the year 7510
If God's a coming, He oughta make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say
Guess it's time for the judgment day
In the year 8510
God is gonna shake His mighty head
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down, and start again
In the year 9595
I'm kinda wonderin' if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing
Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday
In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive, they may find

erick26 03-18-2020 08:43 AM

"Social Distancing" at the Lake

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 327587)
Nope. Looking forward to having a nice dinner with good friends on Saturday night. Not sure where we are going. No social distancing for this cat.

Major I would ask that you reconsider your actions. Even if you and your friends are not concerned with getting the virus, I’ve heard the contagious factor is like an invisible wildfire so even if you have no symptoms at all you can spread it for up to 2 weeks to others. You could infect a family member or friend that could become extremely sick or even die. I know this whole thing is crazy, but I believe the numbers are much worse than reported due to lack of testing. The longer people ignore this, the longer it will drag out and potentially create full shutdowns of everything! Just my 2 cents. Thx #stayingthe’F’home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Major 03-18-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erick26 (Post 328143)
Major I would ask that you reconsider your actions. Even if you and your friends are not concerned with getting the virus, I’ve heard the contagious factor is like an invisible wildfire so even if you have no symptoms at all you can spread it for up to 2 weeks to others. You could infect a family member or friend that could become extremely sick or even die. I know this whole thing is crazy, but I believe the numbers are much worse than reported due to lack of testing. The longer people ignore this, the longer it will drag out and potentially create full shutdowns of everything! Just my 2 cents. Thx #stayingthe’F’home

Too late. Had an awesome time with no regrets. Went to Mass on Sunday and lunch with friends at Canoe. I have no choice now. The world has stopped. We'll invite friends over to our home to socialize.

I realize there are risks. However, personally, I think it makes sense for persons to be responsible for their own actions. If you are over a certain age, or have a compromised immune system, the responsibility should be on you to make sure you are safe. We shouldn't destroy our economy. I refuse to live in fear. Quite honestly, the government's actions and our compliance without question to the government's actions scare me way worse than the Chinese coronavirus. In the case of a real crisis, where our liberties and freedoms are at stake, will we be so compliant?

It's all about understanding and accepting risks. I've stated this before so forgive me for boring you, but last year 36,000 U.S. citizens died from the flu and nearly 500,000 were hospitalized with the flu. Each year between 20,000 and 80,000 U.S. citizens die from the flu. It is a risk that we accept, much like driving a car, which kills roughly 35,000 U.S. citizens per year. With the Chinese coronavirus, we do not understand the risks so we are unwilling to accept it and in the meantime overreacting and panicking.

For the time being, I am enjoying traveling to work on near empty roads and trains and working quietly in a near empty office.

The Real BigGuy 03-18-2020 09:36 AM

What is “Chinese” coronavirus? Oh, that’s right, a “true believer” needs to mimic the words of the “great” leader or get drummed out of the corps.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Major 03-18-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 328148)
What is “Chinese” coronavirus? Oh, that’s right, a “true believer” needs to mimic the words of the “great” leader or get drummed out of the corps.

Where did it originate? I take my cues from the left. I like to label things.

erick26 03-18-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 328145)
Too late. Had an awesome time with no regrets. Went to Mass on Sunday and lunch with friends at Canoe. I have no choice now. The world has stopped. We'll invite friends over to our home to socialize.

I realize there are risks. However, personally, I think it makes sense for persons to be responsible for their own actions. If you are over a certain age, or have a compromised immune system, the responsibility should be on you to make sure you are safe. We shouldn't destroy our economy. I refuse to live in fear. Quite honestly, the government's actions and our compliance without question to the government's actions scare me way worse than the Chinese coronavirus. In the case of a real crisis, where our liberties and freedoms are at stake, will we be so compliant?

It's all about understanding and accepting risks. I've stated this before so forgive me for boring you, but last year 36,000 U.S. citizens died from the flu and nearly 500,000 were hospitalized with the flu. Each year between 20,000 and 80,000 U.S. citizens die from the flu. It is a risk that we accept, much like driving a car, which kills roughly 35,000 U.S. citizens per year. With the Chinese coronavirus, we do not understand the risks so we are unwilling to accept it and in the meantime overreacting and panicking.

For the time being, I am enjoying traveling to work on near empty roads and trains and working quietly in a near empty office.

I truly hope you are right, but for me right now with too much unknown (and slightly decreases immune system), I’m sitting on the sidelines. I just hope everyone’s “ah ha” moment doesn’t come too late. Be safe everyone !

Hillcountry 03-18-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 328148)

Sorry, big guy...as long as people like you and the fake news, and the lying, corrupt, deranged and triggered, left keep harping on people to adopt the absurdity of political correctness, we will say what we feel we need and want to say. That, and it's fun to watch liberal heads explode when we do. :D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Real BigGuy 03-18-2020 09:49 AM

You might try labeling it correctly - Coronavirus Disease - 2019 or COVID-19 for short. But, the “great leader” might get angry with you for showing your smarter than him (which apparently isn’t that difficult).

Major 03-18-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 328154)
You might try labeling it correctly - Coronavirus Disease - 2019 or COVID-19 for short. But, the “great leader” might get angry with you for showing your smarter than him (which apparently isn’t that difficult).

Did you call the German measles and Spanish flu by the technical names? The virus originated in China, thus Chinese coronavirus.

I hope the one thing we can learn from this is that China is our enemy. And rightfully so for many reasons, least of which is that it is a COMMUNIST country. We should reevaluate our reliance on them and move our manufacturing back home. This is a natural result of globalists attitudes and corporate greed, which hollowed out our middle class.

Hillcountry 03-18-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 328154)

Well you got one thing right...President ***** is a great leader. One of the greatest in our lifetime.