Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Restaurant Reopenings (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25758)

VitaBene 05-19-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 334990)
Attachment 15998
Me and my better half at O’s Seafood and Steak to celebrate my birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy birthday!

JCC 05-19-2020 02:42 PM

Town Docks

My family had dinner at the Town Docks yesterday evening, and it was everything I hoped it would be ;) So nice to eat AT a restaurant again. And they did a good job with precautions (from what I could see!)

Biggd 05-19-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC (Post 335016)
My family had dinner at the Town Docks yesterday evening, and it was everything I hoped it would be ;) So nice to eat AT a restaurant again. And they did a good job with precautions (from what I could see!)

Did you have to make a reservation or walked right in?

gravy boat 05-19-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 334953)
I wonder to what degree the lack of an available willing work force, always a problem for restaurants in the lakes region, will impact restaurants as the reopening progresses?

Will people be reluctant to return to work for fear of contracting the virus?

Doubtful. But perhaps. If collecting unemployment and they decline returning then they will now lose unemployment.

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin warned on Tuesday that individuals who reject an offer from their company to return to work after being laid off due to coronavirus are no longer considered eligible to receive federal unemployment benefits.

"Mnuchin said that companies receiving benefits under the Payroll Protection Program who are inviting employees who had been laid off or furloughed due to the coronavirus crisis to return to work should plan to notify state unemployment offices of their offers.

"If the employee, in turn, turns down the job, they would then be considered ineligible to receive expanded unemployment benefits.

“If you offer a person a job..and that person does not take the job..then that person would not be allowed to get unemployment,” Mnuchin said Tuesday.

As it should be. Having been in the recruiting business for 25+ years I can tell you there are PLENTY of people happy to sit home on their butt and be lazy all day long. And it's been easy until now to take advantage - if that's the type of person you are.

Biggd 05-19-2020 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravy boat (Post 335023)
Doubtful. But perhaps. If collecting unemployment and they decline returning then they will now lose unemployment.

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin warned on Tuesday that individuals who reject an offer from their company to return to work after being laid off due to coronavirus are no longer considered eligible to receive federal unemployment benefits.

"Mnuchin said that companies receiving benefits under the Payroll Protection Program who are inviting employees who had been laid off or furloughed due to the coronavirus crisis to return to work should plan to notify state unemployment offices of their offers.

"If the employee, in turn, turns down the job, they would then be considered ineligible to receive expanded unemployment benefits.

“If you offer a person a job..and that person does not take the job..then that person would not be allowed to get unemployment,” Mnuchin said Tuesday.

As it should be. Having been in the recruiting business for 25+ years I can tell you there are PLENTY of people happy to sit home on their butt and be lazy all day long. And it's been easy until now to take advantage - if that's the type of person you are.

It's really not a matter of being lazy, it's a mater of financial benefit.
They created a situation where a person is getting more money staying home on unemployment than going to work.
That extra $600 a week payment to everyone on unemployment was a stupid idea. Regardless of whether your lazy or not you're going to take the most money you can get a week.
Some of these low skilled service workers don't even make $600 a week.

garysanfran 05-19-2020 07:02 PM

I still argue for...

Giving everyone $1,000,000 and no one ever has to work again!!!

DougNH 05-19-2020 08:26 PM

Except a loaf of bread will be $100,000... :)

upthesaukee 05-19-2020 09:47 PM

Wrong!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougNH (Post 335039)

Sorry, Doug, I fear you may be in error on this one.

Giving everyone $1,000,000 and no one will have to again, so the question gets raised: "who is going to make the bread? ":rolleye2:

Dave

SAMIAM 05-20-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 335022)

WE were there also. We called from the parking lot and they took us right in but we were early.

Major 05-20-2020 06:25 AM

Three of my favorite restaurants in Cambridge are permanently closed. I’m especially going to miss the Automatic. Unfortunately this will be the tip of the iceberg. I wonder which restaurants are permanently closed in the Lakes Region?

https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...oronavirus/amp

JCC 05-20-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 335022)

We did call ahead and waited maybe 5 minutes.

garysanfran 05-20-2020 07:39 PM

So the solution is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougNH (Post 335039)

Give everyone $2,000,000 and then you can afford to pay someone to make your bread...Hmmm

And then the capitalism proceeds...

Works well for me.

Descant 05-20-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 335094)
Give everyone $2,000,000 and then you can afford to pay someone to make your bread...Hmmm

And then the capitalism proceeds...

Works well for me.

I'm confused. You have $2MM or you know how to bake bread?

garysanfran 05-20-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 335099)
I'm confused. You have $2MM or you know how to bake bread?

I do know how to bake bread.

But that's not the point.

thinkxingu 05-21-2020 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 335049)
Three of my favorite restaurants in Cambridge are permanently closed. I’m especially going to miss the Automatic. Unfortunately this will be the tip of the iceberg. I wonder which restaurants are permanently closed in the Lakes Region?

https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...oronavirus/amp

This comment has been haunting me—anyone know of lakes area restaurants not reopening?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Winilyme 05-21-2020 07:53 AM

It's places like....

Checking in on our place this past January, on the recommendations of this forum, we stopped in at Gusto in Center Harbor for lunch. Great food and atmosphere. Nice conversations with a couple of 'locals'. Fun time at the end of a long drive and the perfect place for my better half who is a vegetarian.

Gusto is a relative newcomer on the scene. It's these types of fledgling start-ups that I worry about the most.

ishoot308 05-21-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 335111)
This comment has been haunting me—anyone know of lakes area restaurants not reopening?

Well not really Lakes Region but Canoe's sister restaurant in Manchester has closed for good due to pandemic....

Dan

baygo 05-21-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winilyme (Post 335123)
Checking in on our place this past January, on the recommendations of this forum, we stopped in at Gusto in Center Harbor for lunch. Great food and atmosphere. Nice conversations with a couple of 'locals'. Fun time at the end of a long drive and the perfect place for my better half who is a vegetarian.

Gusto is a relative newcomer on the scene. It's these types of fledgling start-ups that I worry about the most.

I love this place! And it’s just my opinion but I think that in someways a start up has a better chance of surviving this. Restaurants tend to run in a very frugal manner in the beginning to build a clientele, as things get better the wallet loosens up and the owners tend to start enjoying the fruits of their labor. I’ve had to dial back a little bit on my lifestyle (get used to tunafish again) to wait out the storm.

In the end I believe it’ll come down to mental fortitude, be it a start up or established.

thinkxingu 05-21-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 335132)
Well not really Lakes Region but Canoe's sister restaurant in Manchester has closed for good due to pandemic....

Dan

Manchester or Bedford? If Bedford, that place has struggled for a long time. Though the recent reviews seem to have improved, we never tried it in the past because there were so many negative ones. Still sad to see, especially if they were figuring things out.

ishoot308 05-21-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 335134)
Manchester or Bedford? If Bedford, that place has struggled for a long time. Though the recent reviews seem to have improved, we never tried it in the past because there were so many negative ones. Still sad to see, especially if they were figuring things out.

Actually Bedford...

Biggd 05-21-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 335132)

Dan

Out of the half dozen or so restaurants in the lakes region that we have ordered take out from during this pandemic, Canoe was by far the worst.

Susie Cougar 05-21-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 335133)
I love this place! And it’s just my opinion but I think that in someways a start up has a better chance of surviving this. Restaurants tend to run in a very frugal manner in the beginning to build a clientele, as things get better the wallet loosens up and the owners tend to start enjoying the fruits of their labor. I’ve had to dial back a little bit on my lifestyle (get used to tunafish again) to wait out the storm.

In the end I believe it’ll come down to mental fortitude, be it a start up or established.

One restaurant that I think about is the Corner House in Sandwich.
The long time owners sold about a year or so ago and I can’t imagine the new owner with such a big mortgage payment and no business.
I haven’t heard anything about this place. Anyone know anything?

Mr. V 05-21-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 335144)
The long time owners sold about a year or so ago and I can’t imagine the new owner with such a big mortgage payment and no business.

Their website says they're open and serving to-go / curbside pickup only on Fri and Sat.

see: https://www.cornerhouserestaurantandbar.com/

Sue Doe-Nym 05-21-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 335144)

I don’t know from personal experience, but a friend of mine yesterday said that she has been getting takeout on weekend....trying to support the new owners of Corner House. If I learn anything more, will post.

Taz 05-21-2020 12:58 PM

take out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 335143)
Out of the half dozen or so restaurants in the lakes region that we have ordered take out from during this pandemic, Canoe was by far the worst.

My wife and I have been ordering takeout as much as possible to support local restaurants. By far the worst takeout during this pandemic for my wife and I was Patricks and Sawyers. The chicken in Wifes Ceasar chicken wrap at Patricks was not cooked and she had to take it apart and cook the chicken. My haddock sandwhich from Saywers had almost non-existent tartar sauce (can you spare it) the roll was soggy, the fish was oily, batter not crispy. both were suppose to come with chips and pickle, no chips or pickle. We have stayed away from these 2 restaurants because we were never impressed. Now I know why and will not go back.

Now the best take out for us, Lyons Den and Twin Barns. Lyons Den Veal Marsala never disappoints. Wifes blackened chicken on wedge salad or pasta always good. Twin Barns is our favorite burger in the lakes region. They use ground beef from Wineing Butcher, fresh buns daily from bakery. Twin Barns pulled pork sandwhich is the best I have ever had! Our first outdoor dining will be tonight at Twin Barns if we can get a seat.

Taz 05-21-2020 01:21 PM

out door seating

Here is a thought. Is out-door seating safer than in-door seating? If you are eating under a tent out-door, when people are talking, eating or drinking (opening their mouths) could wind blow germs around? Where as in-doors as long as properly distancing there is no wind to blow germs around.

And now the CDC is reporting that its not spread easily from surfaces or objects. So getting it from tables, door knobs, light switches etc is not likely. Especially if proper cleaning is taking place.

BroadHopper 05-21-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 335157)
My wife and I have been ordering takeout as much as possible to support local restaurants. By far the worst takeout during this pandemic for my wife and I was Patricks and Sawyers. The chicken in Wifes Ceasar chicken wrap at Patricks was not cooked and she had to take it apart and cook the chicken. My haddock sandwhich from Saywers had almost non-existent tartar sauce (can you spare it) the roll was soggy, the fish was oily, batter not crispy. both were suppose to come with chips and pickle, no chips or pickle. We have stayed away from these 2 restaurants because we were never impressed. Now I know why and will not go back.

Can't believe Sawyer's is still open. Since new ownership, the place went downhill fast! No longer a local favorite.

Patrick's has its ups and downs. It depends on who is in the kitchen.

With Lyons Den nearby and Pop's down the road what the heck people!

Taz 05-21-2020 01:45 PM

totally agree Broadhopper.

Biggd 05-21-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 335157)

Now the best take out for us, Lyons Den and Twin Barns. Lyons Den Veal Marsala never disappoints. Wifes blackened chicken on wedge salad or pasta always good. Twin Barns is our favorite burger in the lakes region. They use ground beef from Wineing Butcher, fresh buns daily from bakery. Twin Barns pulled pork sandwhich is the best I have ever had! Our first outdoor dining will be tonight at Twin Barns if we can get a seat.

I'm going to try Twin Barns but I haven't been past the Weirs because of the bridge closing.

Taz 05-21-2020 02:14 PM

Twin Barns

BIGGD, if you like local craft beer I think you will like it. I started going for the beer but the food was a unexpected bonus. Warm Pretzel with dip app is awesome. I really like their wings. They don't fry anything so the wings are baked but I love them. Their not dripping in sauce which I like. The owners are awesome as well, before the madness, sitting at the bar the owners behind the bar were friendly and would talk to you about different things to do with the business and local happenings. The other employees behind the bar were also very friendly and outgoing.

jbolty 05-21-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 335162)
Can't believe Sawyer's is still open. Since new ownership, the place went downhill fast! No longer a local favorite.

Patrick's has its ups and downs. It depends on who is in the kitchen.

With Lyons Den nearby and Pop's down the road what the heck people!

I go to sawyers for the oddball ice cream flavors but can't remember how many years since I got food there.

JEEPONLY 05-21-2020 03:16 PM

So...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPatnaude (Post 334932)
Not that Eric Johnson :)

Which one?

Slickcraft 06-03-2020 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ellacoya used their regular tables for under and along side the tent. Pretty much the full menu was available at lunch today.

DPatnaude 06-04-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 335176)
Which one?

Eric Johnson, the general manager of the Italian Farmhouse. Not Eric Johnson, the guitar player.

phoenix 06-13-2020 05:58 PM

I did take yesterday at VK for their broiled haddock . It was wonderful just like always

Sue Doe-Nym 06-13-2020 09:39 PM

VK update

We did our usual prime rib tonight....as usual, very tasty, and we both have leftovers for tomorrow. I spoke with a young man there tonight, and it sounds as though they will be doing pretty much 100% and will have some outdoor seating. We didn’t really get into that. So...this coming Tuesday, eat in or out, or do takeout. I believe they’ll be doing breakfasts also. We all hope that the area restaurants can gain much of what they lost over the past months!

JEEPONLY 06-14-2020 05:03 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPatnaude (Post 336206)
Eric Johnson, the general manager of the Italian Farmhouse. Not Eric Johnson, the guitar player.

I just saw this!

Fair to say, I guess i like BOTH! :D

phoenix 06-14-2020 06:18 AM

They told me they will socially distance so yes opening but will not fill all tables

Mr. V 06-14-2020 10:40 AM

One formula I see being used out on the left coast is to limit total capacity of a restaurant to one-half of what it was pre-pandemic, and not allow more than five people at a table.

Hillcountry 06-14-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 336719)
One formula I see being used out on the left coast is to limit total capacity of a restaurant to one-half of what it was pre-pandemic, and not allow more than five people at a table.

That happens to be the NH “formula” for the 4 southernmost counties (50%capacity). Any counties north of them can have 100% capacity.