Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Speed Limits (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Lt. Dunleavy, NHMP, responds.... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5567)

ITD 02-07-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 62793)
:confused: I don't need to point it out—it's in the link.

In 2005, Director Barrett says that radar works poorly at angles, that "only" 15% of boats exceed 55-MPH.

A comment BEFORE the study, when nobody, including you had any idea how many speeding boats were on the lake.......

Quote:

He then authorizes:
1) a monkey-wrench of a study by a dismissed Safety Director using

Didn't go your way, would have been the gold standard of studies had it proven your point. Sore loser, there is no problem, you need to twist, fabricate and use data from far away to prove point....

Quote:

2) marked patrol boats with

Hmmmm, another poster on this site disagrees with this assertion, says unmarked boats were indeed used, this theory may just get blown out of the water, pun intended, just like "all the test zones were announced before the test".

Quote:

3) unpaid volunteers holding

Here we go again, so now you are saying all the readings were taken by "unpaid volunteers" ? Doesn't sound right APS, just like most of the SL things you post, kills your creditability.

Quote:

4) the "inaccurate" radar units whose
5) results are selectively thrown out to

Once again, not the whole story. The radar units, used in their intended environment are very accurate. Innaccuracies arise when used on boats. Incident angle issues, which cause the reading to be lower than the actual speed can be an issue. The MP stated they used only readings taken head on. They took this step because otherwise you and your side would be jumping all over the results for cosine error, can't do that now, so now you insinuate the opposite, that high speed results were omitted, give me break. If I take the results and shift them for a 30 degree cosine error, the number of boats over 45 mph go from less than 1 percent to less than 3 percent. Face it, there is no speed problem on the lake, the speed limit is a waste of time , money and resources.

Quote:

6) result in a survey that finds that fewer boats are identified speeders when

I just covered that, you are wrong, or worse.......

Quote:

7) the measuring zones are advertised in advance.

You know better by now, this is pretty much a bald faced mischaracterization of the truth, when you print this at this time............

hazelnut 02-07-2008 10:53 AM

Pathetic

Seriously way too many individuals on this forum must be X-Files fans or major conspiracy theorists. Many of you have lost any and all credibility on this forum over the last 24 hours.

Tim Dunleavy does an EXCELLENT job DENYING allegations of fudging the data.

Let's begin with the HEADLINE!!!!!!!
Tim Dunleavy: Marine Patrol's data on Winnipesaukee boat speeds are untainted

Here it is again:

Let's try ...... BLUE:

Ok not clear enough how about....... ORANGE oooooooooohhhhhh:

oooohhhh prettyyyyyy.

Now I am no Rocket Scientist but if the headline states, one more time:
I can only deduce, scientifically mind you, that the "DATA" produced by "MARINE PARTROL" is "UNTAINTED." Wait I know, I know, the conspiracy theorists will say... Well, we don't know if that is a direct quote or if the Union Leader paraphrased. Well, well, well, you FOUND IT, the loophole. Yes the editor read the letter and paraphrased the theme/message/intent. The editor deduced, scientifically mind you, that the letter makes the case/claim/argument that... ONE LAST TIME EVERYBODY TOGETHER NOW:

Wow green is pretty too.

jrc 02-07-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62848)

I do hope some Senators and the Governor take notice that Winni is not safe for children in a canoe!

Sometimes it is:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...yakVarneys.jpg

Sometimes it isn't:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...t_05_094_2.jpg

Politics 101: when you loosing based on logic, bring out the children.

How come you're friendly camp director isn't worried about the 99%+ of the boaters traveling less than 45 MPH?

If you have no friends at WinnFABS and just know one person there, how can be so sure about their motivations and actions. Does this one person speak for the entire group? You obviously think that you know enough about their actions to call someone else's viewpoint a lie.

KonaChick 02-07-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbathe (Post 62847)
Isn't this the issue -- the folks that are not in their right mind? If folks were out there, being reasonable, not violating the 150 foot rule, etc... this whole discussion would be moot.

That is the issue and no law can make folks be in their right mind. I suppose the only way to ever avoid boating accidents on the lake would be to ban boating alltogether.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 62851)

How come you're friendly camp director isn't worried about the 99%+ of the boaters traveling less than 45 MPH?

If you have no friends at WinnFABS and just know one person there, how can be so sure about their motivations and actions. Does this one person speak for the entire group? You obviously think that you know enough about their actions to call someone else's viewpoint a lie.

Camp directors, like mothers, worry about EVERYTHING!

I do not represent WinnFABS motives or actions, only my own. What I know about them is what I have read on their webpage or in articles.

Hazelnut - The headline of a newspaper article is written by an editor, not the reporter. Quite often, as in this case, the headline does not accurately depict what is in the article. Lt. Dunleavy, in the article, never makes the claim that the data is untainted. You will please note that the headline contains no quotation marks.

If the Lieutenant responds to my emails I will let you know. He can clear this up, your posting in various sizes and colors can not.

hazelnut 02-07-2008 11:37 AM

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Bear Islander I addressed that..... Ha ha ha ha WOW!

"...I know, the conspiracy theorists will say... Well, we don't know if that is a direct quote or if the Union Leader paraphrased. Well, well, well, you FOUND IT, the loophole. Yes the editor read the letter and paraphrased the theme/message/intent. The editor deduced, scientifically mind you, that the letter makes the case/claim/argument that... ONE LAST TIME EVERYBODY TOGETHER NOW:
Tim Dunleavy: Marine Patrol's data on Winnipesaukee boat speeds are untainted"

WOW! This goes deeper than I thought.:laugh:

SIKSUKR 02-07-2008 11:39 AM

Unbelievable.This is getting absurd.I think it's pretty clear which side makes sense and talks fact which throws mud at the wall and sees how much will stick.If you say it enough people start to believe it.That's what's happening with this bill.

Wolfeboro_Baja 02-07-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62841)
And I am just one person fighting to have a lake where a camp director can send children out in small boats without fear that they will get run down by high performance boats enjoying the last place they can legally go 130 mph.

Just curious........when was the last time anyone saw a performance boat doing 130 MPH on Lake Winnipesaukee?? I've heard about the Skater cat-hull that does 107 mph on GPS (never seen it though) but, to be honest, I've never actually witnessed (personally) any boat on Lake Winni that even looked like it was doing 100 mph.

And just for clarification, that's excluding sanctioned boat racing events. :look:

Dick 02-07-2008 11:51 AM

Weak Reed

Bear Islander . . .

You are leaning against a weak reed

Wolfeboro_Baja 02-07-2008 11:54 AM

RE: Lt. Dunleavy's letter; it addressed the besmirching of the integrity of the MP, not the data. He was speaking as a public official, but not speaking for Dave Barrett. His letter basically said that MP is an honest, trustworthy bunch, and therefore the implication is that honest people don't "fudge" data. If the posters heard that MP is honest, but still haven't heard a denial, then they are grasping at straws.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please! (Mark Twain) :)

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja (Post 62862)
Just curious........when was the last time anyone saw a performance boat doing 130 MPH on Lake Winnipesaukee?? I've heard about the Skater cat-hull that does 107 mph on GPS (never seen it though) but, to be honest, I've never actually witnessed (personally) any boat on Lake Winni that even looked like it was doing 100 mph.

And just for clarification, that's excluding sanctioned boat racing events. :look:

I think it was the summer of 2005. I did not measure the speed myself but it was claimed to have gone 130 mph.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja (Post 62864)
RE: Lt. Dunleavy's letter; it addressed the besmirching of the integrity of the MP, not the data. He was speaking as a public official, but not speaking for Dave Barrett. His letter basically said that MP is an honest, trustworthy bunch, and therefore the implication is that honest people don't "fudge" data. If the posters heard that MP is honest, but still haven't heard a denial, then they are grasping at straws.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please! (Mark Twain) :)

If you go back and read you will find I don't think the MP officers fudged the data. The fudging was in the way it was designed. And yes they are an honest and trustworthy bunch that do not deserve to be held up to public ridicule. However when you publish a statement in the newspaper that effects a very divisive legislative battle, you need to be prepared for some heat.

rickstr66 02-07-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater (Post 62840)
This would be like your complaining to the town that your streetlight is burned out, and they respond by taking down the pole.

No. This would be like you complaining your street light is out and they come out and check it to make sure it needs fixing, then fixing it if there is a problem.

Dick 02-07-2008 12:15 PM

Claimed ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62865)
I think it was the summer of 2005. I did not measure the speed myself but it was claimed to have gone 130 mph.

"Claimed" . . . is this another fact-based piece of data ? or is it an exagerated piece of _______ ?

trfour 02-07-2008 12:26 PM

Couldn't find that boat that did 130 MPH on Lake Winnipesaukee. :confused:

http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/sideline/8707/

BroadHopper 02-07-2008 12:58 PM

Supporters vs Opposers

Why do people who support the speed limits do nothing but blast the Opposers??? I see no actual evidence from the supporters to substantiate their claims. The opposers do a good job of backing their claims.
I can see where Gov Lynch is coming from. Can the supporters give someone concrete facts rather than a bunch of fallacies?

ITD 02-07-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evenstar (Post 62817)
ITD, please stop twisting everything that I post. In your own post you're doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing.

As I have already posted in another thread when you tried to use this same thing against me: "I posted "we are not all lying", because I can't be certain that no one has lied about this. All I can be 100% certain about is that I have never lied, and that safety is my only agenda in supporting this bill."

I have never done anything but been totally honest in all of my posts. And now you have the nerve to try to use my honesty against me, by twisting my words into a completely distorted "translation", suggesting that I'm saying something that I didn't. For your information, due to my head injury, I do not even have the ability to lie. How low will you stoop in trying to discredit me?

I have experienced more than one highspeed powerboat who violated my 150 foot zone on Winni, because they were apparently going to fast to notice me in time to stay further away.

The fact that I have had these dangerous encounters on a lake that I have not spent a great deal of time on (compared to other large NH lakes), shows me that speed is a much larger problem on Winni than what is being protrayed on by the anti-speed limit people on this forum. If I had not had these close encounters on Winni, I would have returned to the lake much more often, because I happen to love this lake. And it's not much fun to go to a lake alone, because none of my paddling friends are willing to spend time there - because of "the speeds of the powerboats" (their reasons, not mine).

I have also shown, from their own report, that the MP only recorded the speeds of boats for less than 2% of the daylight hours during the 11 weeks that they collected data. Areas A and B were the primary test zones (which is clear in the report), and these primary test zones were the two that boaters knew about. What pecentage of boats were recording in areas A and B? How many boats were were clocked on the Broads? This was clearly not a fair reflection of the speeds of the entire lake.

I don't feel that the MP "fudged" any of the data - but that the study was not done properly. According to what I have been taught at my university, this study is not what any experts would view as a viable study.

Evenstar, I twist nothing, I just quote you, whether it discredits you or not is completely on you and what you write.

As far as the statement "Look, we're not all lying", you said it, I didn't make it up. For it to be true you must think some pro-speed limit people have lied, otherwise it's a lie. Pretty simple logic, they must have taught you that at the University.

Your "close encounters" are just too extraordinary for me to believe. Especially for the limited number of times you have been on the lake. If they're true, you must be like the guy who keeps getting hit by lightning, maybe he should stay in during thunderstorms.

Each "close encounter" would be a perfect storm of mistakes and bad luck, from being near a boat going above 45mph (highly unlikely based on the data) to the 150 ft distance violations (happens to me only 1 or 2 times per summer, and I am on the lake much more than you), it just doesn't make sense.

I think a more likely explanation is that you are a very bad judge of distance and speed.........

WeirsBeachBoater 02-07-2008 02:48 PM

"In 1973 I petitioned the Dept. for a ban on water-skiing on Sunset Lake. It was granted and is in effect to this day."

So you have a long history with nanny laws. or your NIMBY attitude.

Good to know, any chance Virgin Galactic can just drop you off out there?:laugh:

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater (Post 62889)
"In 1973 I petitioned the Dept. for a ban on water-skiing on Sunset Lake. It was granted and is in effect to this day."

Good to know, any chance Virgin Galactic can just drop you off out there?:laugh:

At the time I was the director of a United Fund children's camp on that lake. Water skiers from another camp, on another lake, were disrupting our camps activities. I was advocating for the 6 to 11 year old, inner city children that were my responsibility. Judd Gregg did the legal work.

Sorry if that doesn't fit your NIMBY theory.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 03:23 PM

This is the boat. 130 mph, twin 850HP engines. Isn't that more than the Mount?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=112221

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 04:10 PM

Lt. Dunleavy has contacted me with the information that some of the data was collected from unmarked boats, but that which data came from which type of boat was not recorded. This increases the validity of the study data in my eyes.

I do wish a breakdown were available as that would be informative.

codeman671 02-07-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62892)
This is the boat. 130 mph, twin 850HP engines. Isn't that more than the Mount?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=112221

I love the quote found on that link:

"I'll bet "Acres of Idiots, Bear Lover, and a whole bunch of the "Team Weinie" bunch are just loving that bad boy..."

If you really want to get nitpicky since I know you do, the link never states that the boat in question has hit 130mph on Winnipesaukee, just that it is capable of it. There is mention of the 100mph range being achieved. Much bigger difference than the 3mph that irked you.

It is owned by Gary Robertson, the owner of Robertson Powersports. Any reports of this boat having a close call with a kayaker? :D

Sunset Bob 02-07-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater (Post 62889)

Are you talking about Sunset Lake in Alton? If you are I am not aware of any such ban.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 62898)
I love the quote found on that link:

"I'll bet "Acres of Idiots, Bear Lover, and a whole bunch of the "Team Weinie" bunch are just loving that bad boy..."

If you really want to get nitpicky since I know you do, the link never states that the boat in question has hit 130mph on Winnipesaukee, just that it is capable of it. There is mention of the 100mph range being achieved. Much bigger difference than the 3mph that irked you.

It is owned by Gary Robertson, the owner of Robertson Powersports. Any reports of this boat having a close call with a kayaker? :D

If you want to get even more nit picky you will find that I never claimed this boat or any other ever went 130 mph on Winni. In one post I wrote that going 130 mph is legal. In another post I indicated it was "claimed" this boat went 130 mph.

My camp was in Greenfield, NH.

codeman671 02-07-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear islander
In 1973 I petitioned the Dept. for a ban on water-skiing on Sunset Lake. It was granted and is in effect to this day.

Are you sure about that???

Sunset Lake (aka Gould Pond) - Greenfield
SAF-C 402.78 - (a) No person shall operate a motorboat on Sunset Lake in Greenfield at a speed exceeding 10 MPH. However, this restriction shall not apply between 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. or sunset, whichever occurs first, on Monday through Saturday, both inclusive, and further provided during the restricted hours, motorboats shall not be operated at a speed exceeding 30 MPH.
(b) All waterskiing on Sunset Lake shall be in a counter-clockwise direction during the unlimited hours.

Sunset Lake - Hampstead
RSA 270:74-a - Skicraft banned 12/31/89.
SAF-C 402.79 All persons operating motorboats on that portion of Sunset Lake in the town of Hampstead, in excess of headway speed shall travel in a counterclockwise direction around Sunset Lake, while keeping a minimum distance of 150 feet from other boats, swimmers, rafts, docks and shore. This provision shall exclude powerboats being used for emergency situations where a direct line of travel is required and appropriate.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 05:07 PM

Thanks codeman that is the one. It brings back memories. It was originally a ban on water skiing except during those hours. The Greenfield Town Beach had a big sign to that effect at the boat launch. It must have been changed to a 10 mph limit at a later time to make it more uniform with other rules. It amounts to the same thing, not easy to ski at 10 mph.

Water-skiing was allowed between 4:30 and 7:00 because our free swim ended at 4:30 and the children went to the playground. Supper was over around 6:30 or 6:45 so our evening waterfront activities started around 7:00PM. Sunday was rest day with no swimming classes for the speedboats to disturb. We still had free swim but to be fair there was one full day for the other lake residents to use their boats. Besides Camp Winimac, the evil rich kid camp, didn't water ski on Sundays.

The counter-clockwise thing was to prevent a dropped ski from entering our swim area. Due to the shape of the lake, boats traveling in that direction would never be headed directly toward our waterfront.

You didn't think I was making this stuff up.... did you?

KonaChick 02-07-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62891)
At the time I was the director of a United Fund children's camp on that lake. Water skiers from another camp, on another lake, were disrupting our camps activities. I was advocating for the 6 to 11 year old, inner city children that were my responsibility. Judd Gregg did the legal work.

Sorry if that doesn't fit your NIMBY theory.

Did the camp you worked at own the lake???

Evenstar 02-07-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 62886)
Evenstar, I twist nothing, I just quote you, whether it discredits you or not is completely on you and what you write.

You twist everything that I post!

Quote:

As far as the statement "Look, we're not all lying", you said it, I didn't make it up. For it to be true you must think some pro-speed limit people have lied, otherwise it's a lie. Pretty simple logic, they must have taught you that at the University.
You know nothing about logic. "It is the mistake of confusing logical implication and conversational implicature by thinking that "some are" statements logically imply "some are not" statements, when the former statements only conversationally implicate the latter. source: Paul Grice, "Logic and Conversation", reprinted in <CITE>Studies in the Way of Words</CITE> (Harvard, 1989).

Just because I can't be sure that no speed limit supporter is lying, does not mean or imply that some are lying. Again, you are trying to use my absolute honesty against me, which is totally unfair.

Quote:

Your "close encounters" are just too extraordinary for me to believe.
I don't care if you believe me or not. You are judging my experience solely on what you have experienced and are attacking my credability just because I have experienced things that you haven't. I never lie. Can you honestly say that?

Quote:

I think a more likely explanation is that you are a very bad judge of distance and speed.........
I've already explained to you in a previous post that I am an excellent judge of distance and speed - have you like no memory?

You really need to get a life. Attacking someone just because they don't share you're views is really pretty pathetic.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 05:33 PM

The State of New Hampshire owns the lake. And every one of our 300 to 400 underprivileged campers was a year-round resident of New Hampshire. The camp owned about 50% of the lakefront but only used a small portion.

There was a public hearing where all views were expressed and a compromise was reached by way of allowing people to water ski when our waterfront was not in use. The Commissioner of Safety presided over the hearing and made his decision. To bad both sides were not able to work out a similar compromise on Winni.

codeman671 02-07-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62907)

You didn't think I was making this stuff up.... did you?

Some things yes, this no... :D

I wasn't sure if it was in NH or if there was a Sunset Lake in Mass you were talking about so I pulled it up.

Thanks for the clarification.

overlook 02-07-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62834)
Yes, the speed limit study was invented to delay, and eventually kill, HB847. I think that is obvious. Almost one year ago the Transportation Committee was about to vote to send HB847 to the house. At the hearing the Commissioner literally called in on the telephone and proposed they retain the bill so the MP could conduct a study. If that does not meet the definition of "politically motivated" then I don't know what does.

From WMUR
Rep. James Pilliod, sponsor of the statewide speed limit bill, decried the proposal to sidetrack it for more study and called the pilot program a joke. Calling for more study is an old legislative trick for killing bills, he said, and, in this case, represents "a careful design, right from the first, of the sellers of large boats."

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...225/-1/CITIZEN

That study was a result from the meeting in Meridith. Your organization requested that meeting, Pillod's motives are clear. When it was realized that the results were not in favor of HB-847, thats when that closed meeting occurred.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 07:52 PM

I don't have an organization. Other than that I'm not sure what you are talking about. However this who did what to whom years ago stuff has nothing to do with the "do we need speed limits" question.

Skip 02-07-2008 07:56 PM

?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62923)
...However this who did what to whom years ago stuff has nothing to do with the "do we need speed limits" question...

Hmmm, did I just read that correctly? :D

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 08:12 PM

Depends on how you read it.

Part of this argument has degenerated into what people on each side did over a year ago. A he said, she said argument.

Another part of this argument seems to be a "let's catch BI in a lie" thing. Questioning everything I post.

The important question is "Does the lake need a speed limit or not". I say it does.

Pillod's or Barrett's motives in 2005 or 2007 are not germane.

ITD 02-07-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62927)
Depends on how you read it.

Part of this argument has degenerated into what people on each side did over a year ago. A he said, she said argument.

Another part of this argument seems to be a "let's catch BI in a lie" thing. Questioning everything I post.

The important question is "Does the lake need a speed limit or not". I say it does.

Pillod's or Barrett's motives in 2005 or 2007 are not germane.

Nice job Bear, redirect. But it's not that easy. The people on your side have been caught being less than truthful. You have skewered the messenger, implying that the data is useless. In a perfect world, everyone would tell the whole unmitigated truth and a reasonable understanding could be reached. Unfortunately some on your side have exaggerated and made up stories to bolster their argument.

So, to answer your question, does the lake need a speed limit? Based on the statistics and test data the answer is no.

Bear Islander 02-07-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 62933)
Nice job Bear, redirect. But it's not that easy. The people on your side have been caught being less than truthful. You have skewered the messenger, implying that the data is useless. In a perfect world, everyone would tell the whole unmitigated truth and a reasonable understanding could be reached. Unfortunately some on your side have exaggerated and made up stories to bolster their argument.

So, to answer your question, does the lake need a speed limit? Based on the statistics and test data the answer is no.

I am not responsible for "others on my side". I may not post the "whole unmitigated truth" but my veracity is unassailable.

ApS 02-08-2008 08:13 AM

Squeezing in—in defense...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 62896)
"...Lt. Dunleavy has contacted me with the information that some of the data was collected from unmarked boats, but that which data came from which type of boat was not recorded..."

Would that be their new, unmarked Jet-Ski radar platforms? :confused: :rolleye2:

While the addition of radar locations is a good thing, it's also "Science Conducted-on-the-Fly". :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 62849)
"...this is pretty much a bald faced mischaracterization of the truth, when you print this at this time............"

Then I find myself in very good company. :)

With only two opportunities to respond (to your seven in this thread), please allow this one Supporter to summarize the findings of "The Study". (Now referred to as "The Survey").

1) The study was a last-minute swerve into NH lawmakers' deliberations. Now that "The Survey" has been implicitly recognized as such (by the two-to-one majority vote in the House) was it not a last-minute dodge?
2) The only unmarked patrol boats are Jet-Skis—as described in local Winnipesaukee forums. (Need a link?)
3) Unpaid volunteers weren't pointing the radar? (This link says they were).
4) It wasn't only Director Barrett who claimed radar inaccuracies. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...92&postcount=1 (Until the "study" happily disclosed that it can be—when results you don't like get discarded).
5) Results weren't thrown out? (The NHMP stated so!)
6) The study contradicts the Director. (Was he wrong in 2005 or in 2007?)
7) The measuring zones were not only advertised in New Hampshire sources, but at many Internet boating sites. Other locations were announced later on—though I witnessed zero sites—and none were in my "problem-boat" neighborhood.

I linked the Director's quotes (and another Supporter's exact quote). Now I'll quote one of your Fellow Opponents:
Quote:

Rep. David Russell said the limit was too arbitrary. “As far as I’m concerned, numbers don’t make it...,”
Links:
Concord Monitor links:
http://ossipeelake.org/news/2005/10/...akes-proposed/
http://ossipeelake.org/news/2007/07/...not-enforcing/

Other link:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...92&postcount=1

hazelnut 02-08-2008 08:39 AM

Ok

Bear Islander,

You obviously have a strong belief in the need for a speed limit. So let's strip away all the peripheral debate and twisting of words and succinctly state our case as to why we need this law. Lets try to avoid embellishment and conjecture. I will do the same in a very simple statement that I believe to be based on fact not emotion.

Please keep in mind that I own a 25 foot bowrider capable of only 49 MPH. I have very young children all under the age of 5. I love to kayak and swim. I live on an island just like you. I also think the lake is way too crowded. I also think that it can be dangerous to boat on the lake. I wanted to say all of this to give you some background information on who I am. I will never own a "GFBL" boat as it has been termed.

Here is my statement:
Based on facts and statistics, speed has never been an issue with regard to accidents or deaths on the lake. In fact with the completion of the recent study done on the lake it has been proven that most boaters do not even exceed 45mph on a regular basis. The real issue is uneducated boaters and more importantly rude boaters. Those individuals who put themselves their passengers and other boaters swimmers and kayakers in harms way due to their ignorance and flat out "I don't care attitude." What we need is increased funding for the Marine Patrol to have the tools to patrol the waters and enforce the laws that are already in place. Instead of wasting money on a law that solves nothing, lets put all this effort, energy and funding towards enforcing what is already a solid system of boating on the lake. If every boat on the lake followed every law currently on the books we would not be having this discussion.

Not quite succinct but I believe it makes a strong case.

One more thing. Please do not quote me or dispute me in your statement. I want to hear a fact based original thought.

fatlazyless 02-08-2008 09:21 AM

Here's an analogy to the safety problem created by high speed boating. Like when you are driv'n down route 93 at 65mph and a car passes you that's going 95mph. You don't see it coming up behind you, you don't know about it, it comes and goes so fast you just think to yourself "what a damned jerk that is, hope there's a trooper stake-out, up ahead to stop that nut."

Danger and fear is increased by a lot when you got much faster boats sharing the waters.

I could be out there in my 14' aluminum , silver colored, fishing row-boat that basically blends into the water, and I'm thinking this could be a dangerous spot because I know the 8000lb-32'-1200hp 'Snake Dancer' could be right down on my little fishing spot going 75mph, any second, so no I better find a more protected fishing spot. At that speed, and with the sun, waves, and big long fiberglass hull, just how good can the 'Snake Dancer' look'n ahead, driver's lookout be?:)

Winnipesaukee has all types of, motor-sail-paddle-row-swim all sharing the same water. High speed lowers the safety and increases the fear. Is fear a factor? It is to me.

In the last ten years, there's lots more kayaks out on Winnipesaukee. Compared to a canoe, kayaks are designed low in the water for increased stability. Easy to paddle, cartop, transport, launch, fun to use, and relatively cheap, & evironmentally friendly, kayaks have lots of users and they is out there, all over the place, on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Do you know what the "Snake Dancer' boats like to call kayaks....they call them .........Speed Bumps......!

WeirsBeachBoater 02-08-2008 09:26 AM

LOL FLL you make me chuckle!

1. Snake Dance hasn't been on this lake for years!

2. It was 42' not 32'

3. It had no where near that HP.

4. It was all show and no go as they say!

So the only way you should have "feared" that boat was if you were afraid of loud colors and or Snakes!