Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > Roy Sanborn
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
Gilford’s new red “barn”
12-02-2023 11:33 AM
by Jeanzb1
Last post by tis
Today 07:40 AM
66 Replies, 13,947 Views
Town Budgets Mild Winter
03-18-2024 02:32 AM
by Chubby
Last post by tis
Today 04:17 AM
28 Replies, 3,917 Views
A New Chinese restaurant...
02-28-2024 02:41 PM
Last post by phoenix
Yesterday 09:01 PM
32 Replies, 7,261 Views
Downing's Landing
04-14-2023 08:04 AM
Last post by upthesaukee
Yesterday 08:01 PM
4 Replies, 3,050 Views
Big Boom
03-27-2024 08:11 PM
by LongBay
Last post by Rvbuddy
Yesterday 06:57 PM
12 Replies, 1,366 Views
» Made in USA
Rate this Entry

Real Estate is Going to the Dogs...The Lakes Region Real Estate Report

Submit "Real Estate is Going to the Dogs...The Lakes Region Real Estate Report" to Facebook Submit "Real Estate is Going to the Dogs...The Lakes Region Real Estate Report" to Digg Submit "Real Estate is Going to the Dogs...The Lakes Region Real Estate Report" to Google Submit "Real Estate is Going to the Dogs...The Lakes Region Real Estate Report" to Twitter
Posted 02-05-2016 at 11:44 AM by Roy Sanborn
Updated 02-05-2016 at 11:59 AM by Roy Sanborn (picture size)

Real Estate is Going to the Dogs...The Lakes Region Real Estate Report

There were 750 single family residential homes on the market as of February 1, 2016 in the twelve communities covered by this Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report. The average asking price stood at $527,071 and median price point was $259,900. Last February 1 there were 781 homes on the market. Between the great year we had as far as total sales and the fact that a pile of listings went off the market on January 1, the current inventory has fallen to an eight month supply on the market. That’s pretty good compared to where we have been running.

There are dog people and there are people that don’t like dogs. They don’t get it. They could be cat people. Cat people have it easy when it comes to buying a house because it seems, at least to me, that cats can live just about anywhere. I’ve never had a buyer that even gave their cat any consideration in the purchase of their new home. Cats can live contently in a third floor apartment or on a farm in the barn. You have to give your dogs a little more consideration when picking out a home…

I think there ought to be a section in the MLS system that lists features a dog might like. This should be called “Dog Features.” Right now I think the only option that would give you a clue as to whether a house is dog friendly would be that there is a “Dog Fence” or “Invisible Pet Fence” listed in the Exterior Features section. That’s actually a pretty big thing. At each of the last four houses I have bought I had to have a fence put up before we could move in. That can get costly. I am not smart enough to have small dogs that require a smaller area, no… I have to have bigger dogs and a big fenced area so they can run freely. Of course, the benefit to me is I don’t have to walk the dogs at 6 a.m. so they can do their business.

When a dog reads the MLS features online he looks for things that are important to him like “Doggie Door,” “Level Entry to Back Yard”, “Non Slip Stair Treads”, “Mud Area to Roll In,” or “Abundant Squirrel Population.” A “Large Windows Overlooking Fenced Yard” option is also important to survey and control the “Abundant Squirrel Population.”

I didn’t realize how important “Neighbors With Chickens” are to a dog until I moved to a house that had a neighbor with chickens. That’s another reason why you need a “Dog Fence.”

I had also forgotten how important a “Wood Stove” is to a dog until we moved into our current home. One of our dogs has to lie almost underneath it and bake his brain. The “Wood Stove” option should appear under the list of “Dog Features” so it isn’t missed. And, as much time as my dogs spend on the floor, “In-Floor Radiant Heat” is probably more important to them than it is to me.
“Single Level Living” or “First Floor Master” is as important to your aging pooch as it is to the baby boomer population so these definitely should be on the list of options. And “Ample Kibble Storage” and “Dedicated Elevated Eating Station” are very important for a pet friendly environment.

You might think that “Home Office” shouldn’t appear under “Dog Features,” but your pup really wants you to stay home so he can keep an eye on you. It’s a control thing, I know, but it’s important to him.

Of course, there should be “Deluxe Dog House,” “Automatic Water Bowl Filler,” and “Doggie Wash Station,” and “Dog Ramp to Porch” options in the MLS. And for the more athletic dogs “Near Park” or “Near Walking Trails” should be added as well. I am sure there are other features that are important to your pup so let me know if you think of something before I petition the MLS system to add this stuff. And, if you decide to emBark on a journey to find a new pet friendly home make sure your real estate agent owns a dog. That way you won’t go barking up the wrong tree.

Data compiled using the NNEREN MLS system
Posted in General
Share Views 6256 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments