Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > CaptJP
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
HOA Forums
03-26-2024 03:42 PM
Last post by Dick52
Today 05:00 PM
13 Replies, 1,009 Views
The Breeze: By the Bay...
Today 02:08 PM
Last post by Major
Today 04:05 PM
3 Replies, 169 Views
Gilford’s new red “barn”
12-02-2023 11:33 AM
by Jeanzb1
Last post by map
Today 03:38 PM
61 Replies, 13,548 Views
Wolfeboro Hit and Run
08-13-2023 01:42 PM
Last post by codeman671
Today 01:08 PM
189 Replies, 56,469 Views
A New Chinese restaurant...
02-28-2024 02:41 PM
Last post by map
Today 11:47 AM
31 Replies, 6,984 Views
» Made in USA
Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.

10 Clues You Don't Have A Clue

Submit "10 Clues You Don't Have A Clue" to Facebook Submit "10 Clues You Don't Have A Clue" to Digg Submit "10 Clues You Don't Have A Clue" to Google Submit "10 Clues You Don't Have A Clue" to Twitter
Posted 07-23-2008 at 07:37 PM by CaptJP

Many new (and not so new) boaters want to appear competent on the water. I thought some of the novice boaters might have an interest in learning from others' mistakes.

Here's 10 ways NOT to demonstrate your boating brilliance:

1. Leaving your boat fenders hanging over the gunwale at full sprint
2. Tossing a line to a helper on the dock but the line’s too short and doesn’t make it, (and neither does your boat)
3. "Weaving” 30 ft in either direction in a channel (or driving right down the center so other boats have to navigate around you)
4. Stopping half way down the boat launch to unload your gear into your boat
5. Towing a tuber through the Weirs channel or a major through-fare on a high-traffic day
6. Giving your kids a thrill ride while they sit on the bow of your cuddy or cruiser as they hold on to the bowrail
7. Waving hello to someone who motions you to slow down in a no-wake zone
8. Using your docking lights (or handheld spotlight) as headlights
9. Anchoring from the stern
10. Ramping up your speed within 50 feet of other boats because everyone else is doing it
Posted in Uncategorized
Share Views 48573 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    While I agree with many of your points, I would take issue with two of them.
    Number 1...could just be an honest mistake. Or maybe someone in a major rush due to an emergency. I don't think anyone would think they are supposed to leave the fenders out.
    Number 2... I think many of us have done this when first starting out. I remember 4 years back when I was completely baffled at how easily everyone else could dock a boat, and I just could not seem to get the hang of it. I often would come in, try to pull up, fall a bit short, and toss a stern line, only to fall short. I don't think it was because I didn't "have a clue", but rather would get big time stage fright as I pulled up to dock with people everywhere. It lasted almost that whole first season, but happy to report, it has become second nature now. I guess I "got a clue".
  2. Old Comment
    Well, I have to admit that I am being a bit facetious with this list. It's the accumulation of input from various sources and comes from perceptions others typically have of these sorts of things. I actually share some of this in jest with new boaters to help them become more knowledgeable. Joking around helps the info stick.

I suppose I should add a few of my own "clueless" moments where I was pretty embarrassed:

- Leaving my ladder down when departing an anchorage
    - Losing my stern anchor because it wasn't tied to the boat (but I did go for a swim and recover it)
    - docking perfectly, but three feet away from the dock (I get stage fright sometimes when people know who I am and have high expectations of my docking abilities).... a sure guarantee for me to screw it up.