Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2024, 09:33 AM   #1
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
They're anachronism.

Why go through the hassle when you can "Netflix and chill?"
With that logic we should just close all movie theaters then. Now personally, I've never been to the Weirs Drive-in, it was on my list and now I regret not making it a bigger priority. I've also never been to the other two in NH, but I have been to the Mendon Twin Drive-in, in Mendon, MA a few times and I can tell you one thing, it was a fun experience. People treated it like a giant tailgate party, before it got dark out and before the movies started, families were making memories, paying games, laughing, kids giggling and screaming could be heard throughout as the place filled up. So yeah, you can watch a movie at home but there's little to compare when making lasting memories with something that is rare and unique like a drive-in.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post:
jbolty (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 09:49 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,075 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Goer View Post
With that logic we should just close all movie theaters then. Now personally, I've never been to the Weirs Drive-in, it was on my list and now I regret not making it a bigger priority. I've also never been to the other two in NH, but I have been to the Mendon Twin Drive-in, in Mendon, MA a few times and I can tell you one thing, it was a fun experience. People treated it like a giant tailgate party, before it got dark out and before the movies started, families were making memories, paying games, laughing, kids giggling and screaming could be heard throughout as the place filled up. So yeah, you can watch a movie at home but there's little to compare when making lasting memories with something that is rare and unique like a drive-in.
Honestly, the only fond memories that I have of the drive in was sneaking in with my friends when I was old enough. I don't really remember much, about going with my parents.
Drive Ins were on the way out by the time I was in high school, and I just turned 70.
I don't know how they survive today. Even indoor movie theaters have had to reinvent themselves to stay alive.

Last edited by Biggd; 05-03-2024 at 10:40 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:03 AM   #3
John Mercier

They were popular at a time when TVs were small. Backyard projectors didn't exist. And some things took forever - if ever - to come out in another public format.

I think the last movie I went to was Robo Cop at the Colonial.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:15 AM   #4
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Honestly, the only fond memories that I have of the drive in was sneaking in with my friends when I was old enough. I don't really remember much, about going with my parents.
Drive Ins were on the way out by the time I was in high school, and I just turned 70.
I don't know how they survive today. Even indoor movie theaters have had to reinvent themselves to stay alive.
People still go to movie, even with the crazy prices. I just went and saw the new Ghostbusters movie with my wife, the showing we saw was sold out. The 3 times I've been down at Mendon, there wasn't an empty parking spot that I can remember.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:21 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,075 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
People still go to movie, even with the crazy prices. I just went and saw the new Ghostbusters movie with my wife, the showing we saw was sold out. The 3 times I've been down at Mendon, there wasn't an empty parking spot that I can remember.
The past few times I've gone with my wife down in Ma, the theaters were empty. I haven't been to a drive in, in years but my daughter took her 3 kids to Weirs drive in last summer. Her words were, "never again". Now that it's closing, I guess that statement will come true.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2024, 02:56 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Starlight Drive-in No. Reading MA

We used to go to the Starlight Drive-in on Rte 28 in No. Reading MA. Tuesdays were a carload for $1. We would go to Kitty's and get a cheese pizza and then get a large soda at the concession stand. We'd share the pizza and pass the soda around. Rather cheap date but always a good time.

It's a shame that drive-in's have gone away.

Dave
Old 05-04-2024, 06:04 AM   #7
jbolty

Quote:
mom used to make a pizza or sandwiches and we would park the pickup in the back row and sit in the back of the truck to watch the movie. There was a playground up by the screen and the atmosphere was just as you describe. Simpler times
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote