Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2021, 10:57 PM   #1
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Excellent, we understand each other. Herd immunity is the only way we move forward. By the way the new J&J one shot vaccine only has a 66% efficacy. So you are asking to have everyone vaccinated and everyone wear a mask until when?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I haven't run the numbers through the supercomputer models just yet.

But 95% sure sounds a lot better than 66%, doesn't it?

BTW, India expects to vaccinate 300 million by summer. Impressive, right?
At that rate it will take them 2 years to cover their population of 1.366 Billion !!

The other risks is poor countries don't have the infrastructure to get their population vaccinated.

If the "fire" is not put out QUICKLY, WORLD WIDE, it may mutate and the vaccines become ineffective and we start all over. Which might have already started.

We still have a ways to go here.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:30 PM   #2
loonguy

We are scheduled for Huggins Hospital February 19 and are wondering which vaccine we are likely to receive. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
winni83

Our first shot at Huggins on 1/28 was Moderna and the second on 2/25 will be Moderna also. Do not know if that means that they always use Moderna.
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
loonguy (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
rick35

Weather may impact vaccine distribution if NH follows what other states are doing. Some MD and PA sites are rescheduling Monday and Tuesday appointments to Wednesday or later due to travel safety concerns. One site is telling people to arrive on Wednesday at the same time. So that means there will be twice as many people in line. Hopefully NH will make an announcement soon so we can alter plans. We'll get through it.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #5
rick35

Our Tuesday appointment was rescheduled to Monday at the same time because of the bad weather. I received an email from the State which I then had to accept.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
Steveo

Default Rescheduled

Our Tuesday was also rescheduled to Monday. We got an email and a live phone call as well. NH doing it right. I think they keep each Monday open for such situations.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
bobkatfly

Default Laconia LRCC

Any comments about LRCC? Which vaccine and are they making follow-ups during first visit?

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
Old 02-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
tummyman

After being very thankful yesterday,. today (Tuesday) was the day. we could sign up for a second dose appointment in VAMS, starting at 8AM. The state claimed many new appointments would be available and that we should not have to wait more than a few days after the mandatory wait times. Also, we should go back to hte same site we got the first shot. Well, all that information seems totally false. No appointments available unless 60 days out. No appointments at the site we got the first shot...Plymouth. As a mater of fact, it is not even a choice. So the whole plan has fallen apart !!!!!!
Old 02-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
Newbiesaukee

Same problem trying to get 2nd shot.NH sent a subsequent email saying they are adding slots all the time so keep trying. Problem is, you need to cancel to get a new one which is later than your previous one. I understand the need to cancel but then u are tying up spots you can’t use and others could.

It is not necessary to return to first site to get your second...but nothing available in 50 mile radius to get a 2nd shot faster than 6.5 weeks after first....now I’m into April.

I guess I’ll go make another appointment for 2nd shot I can’t keep. A lose-lose proposition.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 02-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Same problem trying to get 2nd shot.NH sent a subsequent email saying they are adding slots all the time so keep trying. Problem is, you need to cancel to get a new one which is later than your previous one. I understand the need to cancel but then u are tying up spots you can’t use and others could.

It is not necessary to return to first site to get your second...but nothing available in 50 mile radius to get a 2nd shot faster than 6.5 weeks after first....now I’m into April.

I guess I’ll go make another appointment for 2nd shot I can’t keep. A lose-lose proposition.
That’s really very sad....hopefully they will fix the problems soon. It’s more than a little bit unsettling to be unable to follow CDC guidelines re 2nd shot time frame through no fault of your own. Maybe waiting 60+ days won’t make a difference, but maybe it reduces the efficacy of the first....who knows?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
winniplayhouse

I know multiple people who cancelled and rebooked a handful of times and eventually got slots much better than their first ones. It's true that they seem to be constantly adding new slots so you have to keep checking. Which is super annoying, especially for people who are trying to work today as well.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #12
winniplayhouse

Also, the system will physically allow you to book slots BEFORE the recommended wait time between doses (21 days for Pfizer and 28 for Moderna) and I know a few people who accidentally booked too early and had to rebook.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #13
rick35

We received our first shots yesterday and was told to book our second shots for around March first. The vams system only shows dates beginning Apr 3rd. I called 211 and was told they're trying to fix the system and to keep trying. If that doesn't work I was told to call and they'll schedule us manually. I couldn't do that today because that system isn't working either. Sounds like NH is trying to keep with the manufacturer recommended dates but CDC says it can be longer.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
tummyman

i sent a note to WMUR reporter who had a great article yesterday on the issue. Following is her reporting just a few minutes ago via an email to me. Stand by....this is just "breaking news"!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Below is from Jean Mackin, WMUR

How frustrating and you are NOT alone.
We just got an update so I wanted to pass this along right away:

State is apologizing for technical issue with the CDC VAMS website not allowing 2nd dose appointment scheduling today.
The VAMS website was not seeing NH locations. State says it’s working on issue, those locations should appear by end of today or tomorrow.

Perry Plummer says they know how many people need dose two, the state has those doses, and people will have appointments within 7 days of when they’re due.

For now, asking for patience. Everyone will be able to get on and schedule or reschedule to an appropriate time.

2-1-1 is swamped and cannot help schedule or reschedule a 2nd dose right now

Jennifer Crompton will have full reporting today - she just conducted the interview with the state.

Take care,
Jean Mackin

Last edited by tummyman; 02-02-2021 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
tummyman

Finally got through on the call line after an hour on hold. Was told book anything that i could and they would get back to me with other options. Really??? Why didn't they just plug in a second appointmeny when we got the shot. The state claimed lots of slots available and most would get the shots around or slightly after the time frame. Person told me to just book anything. So instead of Plymouth, we are at Exeter NH...over 50 miles away on April 3rd....60 days after first shot vs 28 recommended. The whole process just collapsed! No answers from state. Useless web site.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #16
winni83

I do not understand how the NH and VAMS systems are unable to confirm second shots within the required window when Huggins Hospital was able to give us a written confirmed appointment exactly 28 days from our first shot while we were in the waiting area for the required 15 minutes after the first shot. Now our second appointment does not show up on the VAMS website, but Huggins specifically told us that we are all set and that we SHOULD NOT try to book or confirm a second shot on the VAMS website.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #17
TheTimeTraveler

It's absolutely BS how the State of New Hampshire is handling the second shot scenario! WHY do you need to make ANOTHER appointment after you struggle to make your first one?

I only say this because in Florida the Publix Supermarket chain is handling many of the Vaccinations in the State. Once you make your first appointment they AUTOMATICALLY provide you an appointment in 28 days, and tell you to return at the exact same time. Easy. Done. No more hassles!

Automatic second appointments should be the rule of the day. All 50 States should climb on board the same train.......
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-02-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,163 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
It's absolutely BS how the State of New Hampshire is handling the second shot scenario! WHY do you need to make ANOTHER appointment after you struggle to make your first one?

I only say this because in Florida the Publix Supermarket chain is handling many of the Vaccinations in the State. Once you make your first appointment they AUTOMATICALLY provide you an appointment in 28 days, and tell you to return at the exact same time. Easy. Done. No more hassles!

Automatic second appointments should be the rule of the day. All 50 States should climb on board the same train.......
Many people in Florida are having the same problems getting in when the appointments become available. My niece in Rye, NH got a Florida Publix appointment for me on Sunday January 31, at 3:24 PM. The second shot was scheduled in the same confirmation email for 28 days out. I arrived at 3:05 PM had the shot by 3:15, and after a 10 minute waiting period I was out the door.

What I find interesting is that many Florida people are having trouble getting in on the website and my niece in Rye has now been able to get 11 Florida people appointments. I have no idea how that works!
Old 02-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #19
TheTimeTraveler

Keep in mind that my beef with the New Hampshire rollout of the Corona Virus Vaccines is not the first injection. My question is why does New Hampshire make folks go through the hoops AGAIN in order to get a second injection? There's a better way to do it and Publix in Florida does it properly (Publix has folks return at the same time frame in 21 or 28 days for an automatic second injection WITHOUT signing up again for a second appointment).

All 50 States have sign up issues for the first injection, and sadly nothing can be done about that until the supply exceeds the demand.

Again, there is no reason to make anyone go thru a second sign up process when it can be done automatically.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:16 AM   #20
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,015 Times in 921 Posts

We did get our shots of Moderna yesterday afternoon. We don't have 2nd appointments yet, the earliest shown is March 31. The Governor says that a scheduling fix is in the works so we will wait to schedule the 2nd shots.

The National Guard was well organized. They did not make use of the QR codes that we had and they gave us the same list of questions that we had completed online. At the time of receiving the shot you verbally say that none of the conditions apply.

They check your ID, find you on the list and then you are directed to a parking spot. There are 3 long rows marked with cones so there is an open space on each side. I was on time for my 3:40 appointment and parked by 3:45. Then a long wait. My wife had a 4:00 time and I saw her park near the start of another row. So it looked like two time slots of cars, maybe 40 or 50 total, were in place then the vaccination staff with carts started down each row. I got the jab at 4:10 and my wife at about 4:12. Then you put your flashers on , wait 15 minutes and then leave. Flashers on, means that you have received the shot.

Just prior to the shot an assistant takes your ID and then after the shot gives the ID back along with a filled out card.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #21
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We did get our shots of Moderna yesterday afternoon. We don't have 2nd appointments yet, the earliest shown is March 31. The Governor says that a scheduling fix is in the works so we will wait to schedule the 2nd shots.

The National Guard was well organized. They did not make use of the QR codes that we had and they gave us the same list of questions that we had completed online. At the time of receiving the shot you verbally say that none of the conditions apply.

They check your ID, find you on the list and then you are directed to a parking spot. There are 3 long rows marked with cones so there is an open space on each side. I was on time for my 3:40 appointment and parked by 3:45. Then a long wait. My wife had a 4:00 time and I saw her park near the start of another row. So it looked like two time slots of cars, maybe 40 or 50 total, were in place then the vaccination staff with carts started down each row. I got the jab at 4:10 and my wife at about 4:12. Then you put your flashers on , wait 15 minutes and then leave. Flashers on, means that you have received the shot.

Just prior to the shot an assistant takes your ID and then after the shot gives the ID back along with a filled out card.
Where did this take place?
Did you and your wife apply separately and, therefore, received different times?
Old 02-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #22
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Where did this take place?
Did you and your wife apply separately and, therefore, received different times?
Laconia; LRCC. Yes we had separate appointments, did not trust the add a person feature.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #23
rick35

I'm finally coming to the conclusion that this is hosed. I thought they would figure it out this week but I'm not so sure. I read the Union Leader and WMUR stories and get more confused. Am I supposed to book an April appointment or not? Will someone from the State contact me? Will my April appointment get switched to March? When I went to the NH website there's no information. I guess I'll need to call 211 tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #24
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Laconia; LRCC. Yes we had separate appointments, did not trust the add a person feature.
Thank you.

I'll find out, tomorrow, if the add a person thing worked (reason foe asking!)- I hope tomorrow's coming snow won't affect things

WMUR- starting Sunday, all first vaccinations will come with a card declaring the appointment for the second shot. Also- previously set 2nd appointments should now be easy to cancel, and then go and reschedule. I don't know if this means two trips to VAMS or not- but the Governor said it was fixed!

Last edited by JEEPONLY; 02-04-2021 at 07:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #25
rick35

I've been into VAMS a hundred times. Nothing has been fixed.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #26
Sue Doe-Nym

It’s my understanding,from WMUR and Gov. Sununu, from now on, when you receive shot #1, you will be assigned the date/time/place of the 2nd shot. Therefore, there won’t be a need to engage in the frustrating exercise of trying to schedule the next. Fingers crossed.
Oops...my bad....the new system starts Sunday, 2/7.

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 02-04-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #27
Lakegeezer

Default VAMS scheduling works great

Got my first jab today at the Armory in Plymouth. Great crew of soldiers, including the medic that gave the jab. When I got home an hour later, I logged into VAMS and there were plenty of appointments within 100 miles. The earliest date I found was March 20 and most appointments were in April. The folks that gave me the jab weren't scheduling appointments and so far, I haven't received an email telling me what to do next. For me, logging into my VAMS account and clicking on "schedule an appointment" worked great. Would I rather have a March 3'rd date and get the second jab right on day 28? Sure. But, two and a half weeks late is well within spec, so I am happy. So far (3 hours), the only effect I can notice is a light pressure at the injection site in my arm. About the weight of a small paper notebook resting on the arm.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #28
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
I've been into VAMS a hundred times. Nothing has been fixed.
Yes our expedience as well
Old 02-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #29
smith point boater

Default 2nd appts

Our experience is that you literally have to go in and check VAMS every 10 -15 min It changes that fast. We've been able to move up our appt to within 48hrs of our desired date. Other people are doing this because appts disappear while you are watching. Click on the time as soon as you see it or its gone!!!
The spouse/partner add on does work - we did not find it an issue at all.

Starting Sunday governor says state will start the 1st shot 2nd appt given policy. This doesn't help the thousands that have already given 1st shot and struggling to get the second timely appt
The Following User Says Thank You to smith point boater For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-05-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #30
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default pondguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I am going through the same thing. I have been waiting since Jan. 26 to get my 2nd appointment at the Laconia state site at LRCC.
i have my 1st appointment at LRCC coming up- sorry to hear there are problems scheduling your 2nd.
Question- Is this a drive-up facility or in-building?
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #31
winniplayhouse

My parents went to LRCC. You stay in your car. They said it was extremely organized!
The Following User Says Thank You to winniplayhouse For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #32
rick35

We went to Nashua High on Monday. There were about 6-8 cars in the lot when we arrived and I think we were the last ones for the day. That was good as that's when the snow was really picking up and the Guard men and women already had a full day. We pulled into a parking spot and they came to us. I feared a really long line and a lot of shuffling up the line. Other than the problems with making our second appointment I have to say that it has been well planned and executed. They've committed to fixing the second appointments today or tomorrow. It could be worse. You could be in Boston having to wait in line at Gillette or Fenway. And they're only scheduling 75 and over.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:58 AM   #33
smith point boater

Default Wmur

Tummyman - I got the same note from Jean Mackin. Nice but its not helping. WMUR is not getting the full story

I just talked to 211 again (2/3 at 7:15 am). Very nice young man but he basically told me we're being lied to about the appointments and availibility. We need one for 2/23 and he said don't even bother looking before this weekend. Sounds to me like Perry Plummer (NHDHHS) who says on TV that everything is being fixed and there is plenty of supply is all but lying to us. Supply is arriving weekly (to be expected) but appointment piece and scheduling is not going to improve soon
The Following User Says Thank You to smith point boater For This Useful Post:
tummyman (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #34
Newbiesaukee

I tried again this morning on VAMS for the 2nd shot and succeeded in getting a later appointment than my previously too late appointment. Very frustrating and will just wait until better news although my “new appointment “ is beyond anyone’s acceptable time limits after the first shot. It’s now about 9 weeks.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #35
rick35

Scheduling is offline now so I hope they're inserting the fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #36
Steveo

Default Finally!!!

Site finally opened up, was able to get March 5th in Concord (32 days after doze 1).
Old 02-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #37
Newbiesaukee

No luck anywhere within 50 miles except 8 weeks out.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #38
tummyman

Just went on at 2:50PM Wednesday Feb 3. Site may be on line, but appointment process is still a mess. Nothing available in March. We are still out 8 weeks and cannot improve things. Allegedly they were going to have sites for second shots only, but nothing. It is time for the state to stop this game and tell people by email that they should not schedule anything now until the site is fixed. Shut it down. I am sick and tired of cancelling and then trying tp reschedule. VAMS is a total pain in the a- - !!!! ALL statements from NH about fixing this mess are wrong. Sad, since the process of first shots went so smoothly, including the extremely organized Nat'l Guard folks who administered the shots.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #39
Sue Doe-Nym

Time Traveler, in post #165, explained how Publix in Florida is doing it, and that’s the only system that makes any sense! NH could be saving a lot of manpower and angst if they would incorporate such a simple system for scheduling and administering the vaccine. Huggins has a similar system also, as described by winni83, but we weren’t fortunate enough to obtain an appointment there. Argh! Leave it to the bureaucrats to complicate something that could be much simpler.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #40
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Time Traveler, in post #165, explained how Publix in Florida is doing it, and that’s the only system that makes any sense! NH could be saving a lot of manpower and angst if they would incorporate such a simple system for scheduling and administering the vaccine. Huggins has a similar system also, as described by winni83, but we weren’t fortunate enough to obtain an appointment there. Argh! Leave it to the bureaucrats to complicate something that could be much simpler.
To be clear, it’s only a very limited number of Publix doing this, and none anywhere near me.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #41
Sue Doe-Nym

GG, I was really pointing out the system rather than the site. We had our flu shots at Publix last year, and it was very efficiently done.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #42
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

They are having a terrible time getting appointments at Publix also.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #43
Newbiesaukee

The Union Leader just reported that NH is going to trash VAMS and develop its own system for appointments. Not clear when that happens or what happens to those who have appointments. Can’t post link but Google. Sorry. I did not realize that only a few states had adopted VAMS.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #44
winni83

Here is the link. I too had no idea that VAMS was not used by most states. Tragic situation for sure,

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hea...0bd45220f.html
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #45
rick35

We're trying to use a broken CDC site. I think it's out NH hands at this point. Remember you don't need your second shot until the beginning or March and I hope they'll figure this out to get us back on schedule. There's plenty of time but it's still frustrating.
Flyfisha (02-03-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #46
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Someone on my town forum posted not long ago that the VAMS system is up and running as s/he was able to schedule a second shot much closer to the first. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #47
Newbiesaukee

Yes, just got 2nd shot appointment exactly when I wanted.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #48
smith point boater

Default Refresh

You have to be diligent. My wife and I have been refreshing site every 10 min - it paid off - we got an appt on our first eligible day al beit late in the day
Old 02-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #49
tummyman

Still trying for 2nd shot, but have faith. Curiosity, has anybody had any reactions to Moderna first shot. Wife had slight fever, muscle aches, tired, no energy for about 24 hours, then it went away. Wondering if anyone else experienced any similar issues.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #50
rick35

Something is very weird when I try to schedule. Some times I can't connect. Sometimes it takes me to April 3rd and other times to April 6th.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #51
winni83

We had our first shot of Moderna on January 28th. I had mild soreness in my arm for a day. My wife had more significant soreness for several days. No other reactions. It seems that the second shot may produce more symptoms, but nothing too serious.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #52
GregW11

Was able to finally schedule second Moderna vaccination at 6:15 this evening. Appointment is for 6 Mar (5 days late) in Plymouth.

Very, very mild reaction to first vaccination - took Tylenol and very mild headache and muscle pains went away quickly. That persisted for about two days. No big deal at all.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:30 AM   #53
thinkxingu

"To align with Biden's federal directive," teachers in MA will be added to the state mix via mass vax centers on the 11th but are currently open through the federal mix at private providers like CVS. It appears NH will not be changing the rollout order.

The last couple mornings, as early as 5AM, the text threads and halls of my schools have been lit up by "sit tight, and we'll bring you to the scheduling process shortly" screens. Absolutely dystopian, which is perfect since I'm currently teaching Brave New World.

I started my process at the house at 5:30 and kept it live for the drive to school. At 8:15, I moved to the next step...only to find there were no longer any appointments left without driving to Provincetown.

Honestly, I'm not terribly frustrated as I know there's just so many people in line and, since all those in my life are cautious or already vaccinated (a few weeks too late for my MIL) and the numbers have dropped post-holidays, I can be patient. And, in thinking about this for an extra beat, maybe grateful I'll more than likely get the single J&J.

UPDATE: secured two appointments just after this post for the 9th and 30th. Double shots, but close to school.

Last edited by thinkxingu; 03-06-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:50 AM   #54
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

UPDATE: secured two appointments just after this post for the 9th and 30th. Double shots, but close to school.

Congrats, Think!

Completely crazy and wrong that we've given the housebound vaccines before those we insist come to work to teach our kids or stock our grocery shelves
Old 03-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #55
DEJ

Default My opinion

I think the shots should be given by age group since older folks weather housebound or not are allot more likely to die if infected. That would eliminate all this stuff that someone is more important than someone else. Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #56
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I think the shots should be given by age group since older folks weather housebound or not are allot more likely to die if infected. That would eliminate all this stuff that someone is more important than someone else. Just my humble opinion.
Given the statistics, I agree with age and comorbidities defining the order and, at least in my circles, teachers are fine with that. The only real issue revolves around the push to get back to full in-person instruction, which would reduce or remove some CDC mitigations. For example, MA appears to be moving towards using the WHO distance of 3' to rationalize going back full (which I'm still not confident we can do). That, the resulting class sizes, and the new, more transmittable, variants have many concerned.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #57
FlyingScot

Quote:
Given the statistics, I agree with age and comorbidities defining the order and, at least in my circles, teachers are fine with that. The only real issue revolves around the push to get back to full in-person instruction, which would reduce or remove some CDC mitigations. For example, MA appears to be moving towards using the WHO distance of 3' to rationalize going back full (which I'm still not confident we can do). That, the resulting class sizes, and the new, more transmittable, variants have many concerned.

Yes--this is a more specific form of my point. The government is insisting, or is about to insist, that teachers return to work in person, it should be protecting them.

My son has been forced (or at least coerced) to work in person. A sister-in-law is now home for a week after one of her students exposed her. My parents, whom we as a society have asked nothing except to stay home, were among the first in line.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #58
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
My parents, whom we as a society have asked nothing except to stay home, were among the first in line.
I am glad they were because if they were to be infected they would have a much greater chance to die from this virus.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #59
Sue Doe-Nym

Default We are getting there...👍

I am ecstatic that the teachers are being vaccinated because we can get everyone back into the classroom! It’s so sad...tragic...that so many young people have been so negatively impacted by the remote learning. I am also very relieved that our daughter, a Florida teacher who has been IN the classroom since September 1st is scheduled for the vaccine next week. I am happy for you also, Think.
thinkxingu (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #60
Paugus Bay Resident

2nd one for me and first one for my wife yesterday. I got Moderna, she got Pfizer. The vaccine center at the former Sears was well run, we were in and out in under an hour. The National Guard and Bow paramedics couldn't have been nicer and more professional.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #61
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Yesterday's after 3:00pm shot went fine. LRGH.
We each got our second Moderna. Even though we had individual cards from the first shot, iI was not listed on the second-shot schedule- no problem- a few tickles on the 'puter keys and all was good to go.
Only immediately reaction was soreness at the injection site. This morning- lazy feeling and a fairly sore lower back. Not incapacitating, but worth a few more moments in bed!

Last edited by JEEPONLY; 03-07-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: location
Old 03-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #62
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Yesterday's after 3:00pm shot went fine. LRGH.
We each got our second Moderna. Even though we had individual cards from the first shot, iI was not listed on the second-shot schedule- no problem- a few tickles on the 'puter keys and all was good to go.
Only immediately reaction was soreness at the injection site. This morning- lazy feeling and a fairly sore lower back. Not incapacitating, but worth a few more moments in bed!
Had the same reaction issues. Took 2 Advil tablets and the problem disappeared.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #63
DickR

Wife and I had Laconia appts for end of March. Late Wednesday I got a call from the state, offering us an early Friday afternoon shot at Walgreen in Wolfeboro, indoors, so I said yes. The second shot was scheduled for early April at the same time. The guy who called actually works for the state DOT, not DHHS, and was doing calls for just Walgreen. I gather the state is using whatever resources are at hand to make calls to fill in open slots and move people up.

In and out inside a half hour, including the "paperwork," the shots, and the 15-minute hang-around afterward. The shot was Moderna. I often get a nervous reaction to any needle in the upper arm, but I was surprised. The shot went off quickly and without any real discomfort. The afternoon passed without thinking much about it, but at bedtime I did notice discomfort if I tried sleeping on that shoulder. This morning both of us have some minor soreness in the area, but it won't keep me from normal activity.

At Walgreen, I asked about how many shots they give in a day. They said about 40, but that the operation there was not as big as at other stores. On reading about today's huge effort at the speedway, hoping to administer 11,000 shots over three eight-hour days. I got to thinking about the numbers. With an assembly line style of process, with multiple volunteers passing a steady stream of people through the various steps in multiple parallel streams, things could go faster.

Suppose each shot station could pass one person through every four minutes, considering time to get the needle out and ready, sit the person down, shoot, and apply bandaid if needed. That's 15/hour, or conceivably up to maybe 100 per day, with breaks. Dividing, 11,000/3 days by 100 means there would have to be around 37 people actually giving the shots. Quadruple that for volunteers on either side of the shot, including traffic control, and you'd need at least 150 people to staff the event. The WMUR news item speaks of having 300 volunteers, so maybe they have many more than 37 actually jabbing arms, taking longer per shot, or perhaps there are many more involved in traffic control and sign-in.

The state has somewhat over a million residents age 18 and up. If the goal is to vaccinate at least 80% of these, that's 800,000. It would take 218 days or 31 weeks of "speedway class events" to do the job. Obviously the speedway event will provide just a small fraction of the required number of shots. There must be many more of those, and still most of the shots will be given cumulatively by all the original 13 state sites and now many pharmacies and big-box stores. And NH is a fairly small state. Run your own numbers for a state like NY or CA.
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-06-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #64
WinnisquamZ

FYI. Patrick’s Pub closed today due to a positive among the staff

Old 03-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #65
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,163 Times in 906 Posts
Default Patrick's Open 3 PM Friday

Quote:
FYI. Patrick’s Pub closed today due to a positive among the staff
We're delighted to let you know we'll be open for business tomorrow, Friday, beginning at 3pm (we'll return to opening at Noon next week)!

Working with healthcare experts, we have followed the CDC guidelines, performed extensive cleaning and are now ready to safely serve you.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #66
thinkxingu

Jab #1 today. Pfizer. CVS was perfect and in/out in 20 minutes—5 for the check-in and shot, 15 for the wait time to make sure I wasn't to replicate I Am Legend.

Jab #2 is on 3/30, and it appears that most of the same people—almost exclusively teachers—will be there at the same time for a sweet reunion.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #67
DEJ

I am happy for you and your fellow teachers think so please do not take this personal, just food for thought here. 95 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have occurred among people who were 50 or older. This even though the majority of coronavirus cases have been reported in people under age 50. That is from AARP.

So more people under age 50 get infected but the number of deaths drops significantly below 50. I ask why do we as a society place a teacher who is 30, 35, 40, 45 years old etc... in line for the vaccine in front of a non teacher who is 50+ and has a greater chance to succumb to this virus if infected? I realize getting the kids back in school is important but is it more important than saving lives of older people? Could those teacher CVS shots been better allocated? Look forward to responses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
MRD (03-10-2021), Slickcraft (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #68
thinkxingu

Quote:
I am happy for you and your fellow teachers think so please do not take this personal, just food for thought here. 95 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have occurred among people who were 50 or older. This even though the majority of coronavirus cases have been reported in people under age 50. That is from AARP.

So more people under age 50 get infected but the number of deaths drops significantly below 50. I ask why do we as a society place a teacher who is 30, 35, 40, 45 years old etc... in line for the vaccine in front of a non teacher who is 50+ and has a greater chance to succumb to this virus if infected? I realize getting the kids back in school is important but is it more important than saving lives of older people? Could those teacher CVS shots been better allocated? Look forward to responses.
Fair question, for sure. As I see it, there are two reasons. First, the numbers of people I will protect by being vaccinated is much higher than young(er) groups that either work remotely or see fewer people. For example, on a given day I'm exposed to at least 45 people directly and up to 600 indirectly. My 50-year-old friend working remotely is exposed to zero. When he goes into work with the skeleton crew, he's exposed to, at most, four or five.

The second is the impact that remote schooling has had on many children. In-short, it's horrible for social and emotional health. The quickest and safest way to get back to the classroom is through school personnel vaccination (don't forget bus drivers, custodians, etc.).

EDIT: after writing my response, I happened upon this: https://www.edweek.org/teaching-lear...accine/2021/02

Last edited by thinkxingu; 03-09-2021 at 06:49 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
barefootbay (03-09-2021), DEJ (03-10-2021), FlyingScot (03-09-2021), JEEPONLY (03-11-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 04:35 AM   #69
DEJ

I guess I see it differently. It is very important to get the kids back in school for sure but at what cost. Your 50 year old friend is not exposed to zero, less for sure but not zero. He goes to work with a skeleton crew so he is exposed and if he gets the virus has a higher probability to perish.

As I mentioned in an earlier post we should have left it by age group, period, not by occupation. The teachers union held the country hostage till they got their way for it's members IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:58 AM   #70
thinkxingu

Quote:
I guess I see it differently. It is very important to get the kids back in school for sure but at what cost. Your 50 year old friend is not exposed to zero, less for sure but not zero. He goes to work with a skeleton crew so he is exposed and if he gets the virus has a higher probability to perish.

As I mentioned in an earlier post we should have left it by age group, period, not by occupation. The teachers union held the country hostage till they got their way for it's members IMO.
You assume I'm not 50 as well, like the 1/3+ teachers who are.

I'm not sure there's a right answer, but I'm glad I'll have a little protection in a few weeks since we're about to double my level of exposure when schools go back full.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #71
DEJ

Quote:
You assume I'm not 50 as well, like the 1/3+ teachers who are.
I am not assuming anything about you, this is not about you. It is about folks under the age of 50 getting vaccinated ahead of those in our society who are more susceptible to die from this virus, it is that simple. There is a right answer and that is vaccinate by age groups, period. Health care workers who take care of covid patients excluded obviously.
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
TCC (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #72
thinkxingu

Quote:
I am not assuming anything about you, this is not about you. It is about folks under the age of 50 getting vaccinated ahead of those in our society who are more susceptible to die from this virus, it is that simple. There is a right answer and that is vaccinate by age groups, period. Health care workers who take care of covid patients excluded obviously.
There are absolutely situational factors that would override age for vaccination. You point that out yourself with your note about healthcare workers. Nurses and doctors (and, in NH, ski patrollers) who don't work directly with Covid patients were still vaccinated first—regardless of age—because of the potential for increased exposure.

The threshold for that exposure vs. age is beyond my pay grade, but teachers are going in to schools every day with Covid positive people, and I'm glad to have some safety net against that.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #73
DEJ

You clearly keep backing up my point that it should be age based, period. Situational factors other than health care folks only muddy the waters and suggest someone is more important than someone else. Vaccinations by age group eliminate all this BS as well as union influence. But we are where we are and nothing you or I can do now to change it. Good luck when you go back full time teaching if not there already.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #74
bobkatfly

Default Lost vaccine card

Has anyone lost their first vaccine shot card (other than me) and gone to their second appointment (Pfizer) without it? Any issues, turned away?
I think ours got mixed in with some junk mail on the counter top and trashed.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #75
Sue Doe-Nym

I would suggest calling the 211 number and ask them....or....jeeponly had a situation where he had his card, but wasn’t on their list, and he was allowed to get the shot...but I would try calling first..
Old 03-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #76
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Has anyone lost their first vaccine shot card (other than me) and gone to their second appointment (Pfizer) without it? Any issues, turned away?
Good question—there's gotta be some record in the system that processed your first shot? I would think they'd be able to fill in a new card when you showed up.

On the same topic: what will the card be needed for, if anything, and should we get them laminated for durability/longevity?

Old 03-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #77
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default Shoulda coulda

Too late now, but when we got our 1st shot, while we were waiting to leave, the worker in the waiting area told everyone to take a picture of the card in case it got lost or misplaced. Then to remember to do it again after 2nd shot.

In hindsight, a great idea.

Dave
Slickcraft (03-10-2021), thinkxingu (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #78
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Too late now, but when we got our 1st shot, while we were waiting to leave, the worker in the waiting area told everyone to take a picture of the card in case it got lost or misplaced. Then to remember to do it again after 2nd shot.

In hindsight, a great idea.

Dave
Terrific idea! Now I hope not to lose my phone! 😂
Old 03-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #79
bobkatfly

Quote:
Good question—there's gotta be some record in the system that processed your first shot? I would think they'd be able to fill in a new card when you showed up.

On the same topic: what will the card be needed for, if anything, and should we get them laminated for durability/longevity?

I think the card may be useful for proof of vaccine when traveling while there are still restrictions. Sort of a vaccine passport.

The Following User Says Thank You to bobkatfly For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #80
thinkxingu

Quote:
I think the card may be useful for proof of vaccine when traveling while there are still restrictions. Sort of a vaccine passport.
That's what I was wondering. Has anyone heard of private businesses requiring proof of vaccination? I can imagine large amusement parks, close-contact venues, etc. thinking about doing this.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #81
pondguy

I carry my card in my wallet just in case.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #82
BrownstoneNorth

Default Proof of vaccination card

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I carry my card in my wallet just in case.
We scanned ours into our computer and also printed them out on heavy photo paper to carry with us because we don't want to chance losing the originals, which we're keeping in a safe place in the house.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #83
rick35

The vaccination card can't possibly be considered to be a certificate. Mine has two stickers on an otherwise blank card. What kind of official document would be needed to get on a vaccinated-only cruise ship? I don't think it could be that card or the downloaded pdf certificate. Either could be easily forged.
BrownstoneNorth (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #84
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:

At my second shot, the person administering suggested i keep my card in a safe place. At each shot a sticker was applied on the card with the date, location and make (for me Moderna) of the shots. So, my card has two stickers with the appropriate information on each, and I keep it in the same place with the cards that identify the type of lenses I received when I had cataract surgery- "just in case"!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #85
Slickcraft

Quote:
Log onto the CDC website. Then you can view and download a PDF copy of your vaccination certificate.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:10 AM   #86
thinkxingu

Quote:
Log onto the CDC website. Then you can view and download a PDF copy of your vaccination certificate.
Do you have a link? I just did a search and found: "It's important to know that the CDC does not store individual vaccination records. Therefore, the CDC cannot provide you with a record of you Covid-19 vaccination."

Old 03-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #87
Slickcraft

Quote:
Do you have a link? I just did a search and found: "It's important to know that the CDC does not store individual vaccination records. Therefore, the CDC cannot provide you with a record of you Covid-19 vaccination."

https://vams.cdc.gov/vaccineportal/s...00000016u32AAA

I think that this would be only for those that were scheduled through the CDC VAMS system. And they should already have the link. I have accessed and saved our PDF files. Appears to contradict what you found.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #88
winni83

Our first shot of Moderna at Huggins was scheduled through VAMS. Huggins scheduled the second shot at the time of the first. The appointment for the second shot did not show up on VAMS, which had me a little concerned that while the record of the first shot was on VAMS, the second shot would not be.

However, the second shot does appear on the VAMS site, so we have both the card from Huggins, which we have both saved as a photo and a PDF and had laminated, but also the record of both shots on the VAMS site.

Redacted version of what shows up for us on VAMS.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf VAMS VaccineCertificate Redacted.pdf (57.6 KB, 480 views)
Old 03-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #89
bobkatfly

Quote:
I did that and have the confirmation of first shot but it doesn't show any info on the second shot appointment that the paper card had. Our second appointment is tomorrow. I'll try to get through on 211 today.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #90
WinnisquamZ

So we just toss out the HIPPA Laws and Privacy rules?

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
watermaker (03-14-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 11:42 PM   #91
rick35

There's been some chatter on various news sources about a "vaccine passport". Theres nothing official at this point but it makes sense that there will need to be soon.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #92
BrownstoneNorth

Default HIPAA Privacy rules

Quote:
So we just toss out the HIPPA Laws and Privacy rules?

HIPAA's privacy protections are to prevent others from revealing your information without your permission, not to stop you from revealing it to whomever. Americans have been required for generations to show proof of vaccination against various diseases in order to attend school, camp, etc.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profes...acy/index.html

The HIPAA Privacy Rule

The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals' medical records and other personal health information and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically. The Rule requires appropriate safeguards to protect the privacy of personal health information, and sets limits and conditions on the uses and disclosures that may be made of such information without patient authorization. The Rule also gives patients rights over their health information, including rights to examine and obtain a copy of their health records, and to request corrections.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrownstoneNorth For This Useful Post:
Flyfisha (03-15-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #93
thinkxingu

I just saw an article that Staples is laminating vaccination cards for free.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
bobkatfly (03-17-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #94
Sue Doe-Nym

Default A salute to the vaccine volunteers

We had shot #2 yesterday in Plymouth. The line was enormous, so we thought we would be there for hours....not so....it was so efficient, and the National Guardsmen could not have been more helpful and polite. They were appreciative when we thanked them...very positive experience, and we were out of there in 75 minutes total. Moderna....slightly sore arm, nothing more.
DEJ (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #95
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We had shot #2 yesterday in Plymouth. The line was enormous, so we thought we would be there for hours....not so....it was so efficient, and the National Guardsmen could not have been more helpful and polite. They were appreciative when we thanked them...very positive experience, and we were out of there in 75 minutes total. Moderna....slightly sore arm, nothing more.
Congrats, Sue! I got my first at Fenway on Monday, and I was shocked how quick and efficient it was. Even with a bit of back and forth during registration, my father in law and I were out the door in less than 40 minutes
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #96
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts
Thumbs up

My wife and I got our first 2 weeks ago at CVS, we get our second in another week. Both our birthdays are in the middle of April so we should be safe by then.
Our 40th anniversary is this June and we were hoping to take a trip so we are planning now that we will be fully vaccinated.
Feeling hopeful for a promising 2021!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #97
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
My wife and I got our first 2 weeks ago at CVS
How did you do that? CVS isn't listed among the vaccination sites.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #98
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
How did you do that? CVS isn't listed among the vaccination sites.
Maybe from another nearby State ?
Old 03-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #99
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Maybe from another nearby State ?
Perhaps Mass house in Waltham. It’s in his bio.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-20-2021, 06:35 AM   #100
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default Woo hoo

Woo hoo. 2nd shot in the books yesterday at Huggins. A little achy today, but not bad.

Kudos to Huggins for an exceptional job of scheduling and then administering the shots.

Dave