Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
Blyblvrd

Imagine driving around in a boat with a 300’ restriction pulling someone behind performing water sports. Then a boat with a 150’ restriction legally comes within 300’ of you, say 280’.

It’s now upon you to quickly slow your boat to headway speed, dropping your rider, while you wait for the other boat to travel outside 300’ again.

150’ is not being enforced today. This rule will only cause additional complexity and confusion for everyone including under resourced Marine Patrol.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:15 PM   #2
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyblvrd View Post
Imagine driving around in a boat with a 300’ restriction pulling someone behind performing water sports. Then a boat with a 150’ restriction legally comes within 300’ of you, say 280’.

It’s now upon you to quickly slow your boat to headway speed, dropping your rider, while you wait for the other boat to travel outside 300’ again.

150’ is not being enforced today. This rule will only cause additional complexity and confusion for everyone including under resourced Marine Patrol.

I think you are mistaking Safe Passage for the Shoreline Rule.

What they are discussing is just the shoreline.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:04 PM   #3
Blyblvrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I think you are mistaking Safe Passage for the Shoreline Rule.

What they are discussing is just the shoreline.
Good catch. Thanks for the clarification.

Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:34 PM   #4
John Mercier

I've operated with the 300' rule using a WaveRunner, and it did not impact my enjoyment of Opechee... which is a much smaller lake.

In fact, I don't think 500' would have either.

But at that time, there was no ''science'' for the 300' rule. It was just that some people didn't like the small inexpensive agile crafts.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:35 AM   #5
Major

Thanked 1,014 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I've operated with the 300' rule using a WaveRunner, and it did not impact my enjoyment of Opechee... which is a much smaller lake.

In fact, I don't think 500' would have either.

But at that time, there was no ''science'' for the 300' rule. It was just that some people didn't like the small inexpensive agile crafts.
John, the lack of "science" haven't stopped our legislature from enacting useless laws. One need only refer to the speed limit law. There was no science behind the law in the first place. Speed was not and never has been a safety issue. The data did not support it. Yet, it satisfied those who wanted to eliminate go fast, loud powerboats from the lake. I'm happy to say that it didn't work. As we all know, there is no shortage of fast powerboats on the lake. The marine patrol doesn't enforce the speed limit, so I suspect it will likewise not enforce the 500' rule, if imposed.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (03-27-2024)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2024, 07:44 AM   #6
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
John, the lack of "science" haven't stopped our legislature from enacting useless laws. One need only refer to the speed limit law. There was no science behind the law in the first place. Speed was not and never has been a safety issue. The data did not support it. Yet, it satisfied those who wanted to eliminate go fast, loud powerboats from the lake. I'm happy to say that it didn't work. As we all know, there is no shortage of fast powerboats on the lake. The marine patrol doesn't enforce the speed limit, so I suspect it will likewise not enforce the 500' rule, if imposed.
Gotta be careful Major, they actually do enforce the speed limit, I've seen them many times with their radar gun or laser gun pointed at my jet ski. They just can't be everywhere all the time.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Gotta be careful Major, they actually do enforce the speed limit, I've seen them many times with their radar gun or laser gun pointed at my jet ski. They just can't be everywhere all the time.
They don't appear to enforce it on Paugus Bay. It would be interesting to know how many speeding tickets marine patrol issued since the implementation of the speed limit. I am sure it is very low, because if it weren't, we'd all know about it.

I've never seen a radar gun used on the lake, but I wasn't looking for one. My boat does 43 mph max and my SeaDoo does about 50 or so mph max, so I'm not too concerned about it.

It is not unusual to see boats going very fast on Paugus Bay on a Sunday afternoon returning to Lakeport. It's a beautiful sight to see.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:25 AM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,532 Times in 990 Posts
Default Be quiet, please

LWA started a good thread on legislation. Let's not get it shut down by turning it into another speed limit discussion.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:38 AM   #9
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
LWA started a good thread on legislation. Let's not get it shut down by turning it into another speed limit discussion.
The point of my comment is that the legislature makes feel good laws without understanding the problem. Is lake erosion now quantifiably greater than it was 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago? Is it really a problem? I am sure the OP knows a lot about this problem and can share the "science." Or is it excessive development on the shoreline without protective measures preventing biodegradable material from entering the lake.

Instead, I suspect the real problem or issue is that people just don't like wake boats (as they did not like go fast, loud powerboats). Since they don't like wake boats, they enact legislation to limit the fun of having a wake boat. Seems pretty simple to me. As stated by someone in this thread, does it make any sense to limit the use of a "wake boat" when someone can take a 45' Sea Ray and blast the shoreline from 150'? Of course not.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:05 AM   #10
John Mercier

I think the LWA position is to seek balance between the abutters (lake and lakefront).
I don't know if it would be fair to place all the cost on the side of the lakefront owners for degradation of the lake.

But even people that want less restrictions seem to have a threshold of freedom; they weren't all out supportive of the overnight mooring bill.
And that had some basic issues, but not half the items that public testimony kept bringing up.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:02 AM   #11
Fishcat

It doesn't seem possible to stop boats that churn up the bottom of the shallows, boats that run at excessive speeds, or other boats that are being operated inappropriately due to the massive amounts of money used to lobby for them. Maybe it is time to raise the registration fees on boats that have a negative impact on the health of the lake. This money could be used to increase the Marine Patrol patrols and programs that contribute to positive lake health. The shore owners already contribute through taxes but many boat owners do not carry the same financial burden.
Fishcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishcat For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:06 AM   #12
Descant

Default Increase fees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat View Post
It doesn't seem possible to stop boats that churn up the bottom of the shallows, boats that run at excessive speeds, or other boats that are being operated inappropriately due to the massive amounts of money used to lobby for them. Maybe it is time to raise the registration fees on boats that have a negative impact on the health of the lake. This money could be used to increase the Marine Patrol patrols and programs that contribute to positive lake health. The shore owners already contribute through taxes but many boat owners do not carry the same financial burden.
Larger boats already pay more, both in registration fee and boat fee. I have one with a fee of $124 and one with $250. The state gats the registration fee which gets split up for Search & Rescue, Milfoil, Navigation safety fund (MP) etc. The boat fee goes to wherever you register. There would be huge pushback from towns if you take that away. A few years ago the legislature raised car registration fees. Huge outcry; the party in the majority lost their majority and the fee was reduced the next year. Raising taxes and fees in NH is not easy.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:28 AM   #13
John Mercier

Quote:
It wouldn't be balanced to punish every user for the behavior of some...

We could question where the ticket money for the MP goes?
If it goes to support the MP budget, maybe they will write more tickets?
Old 03-29-2024, 09:26 AM   #14
codeman671

Update from Silver Sands, who has been instrumental in the fight against these bills:

"Both HB 1301 and HB 1390 were Tabled by the House. This effectively means that they will NOT move forward this year, removing any bills from the table will require a 2/3 House majority after yesterday."
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:36 AM   #15
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Update from Silver Sands, who has been instrumental in the fight against these bills:

"Both HB 1301 and HB 1390 were Tabled by the House. This effectively means that they will NOT move forward this year, removing any bills from the table will require a 2/3 House majority after yesterday."
Commonly known as "Death with Dignity". Votes were 190-172 and 190-178. This should be a good indicator of the outcome on any bills that might come from the Senate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:38 AM   #16
John Mercier

Quote:

They wouldn't remove them from the table; because next year is a new session.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:00 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Question ... wake boats?

Opinion: Why regular folks should care about wake sport legislation ..... http://www.concordmonitor.com/My-Tur...ation-54528650 ..... March 27, 2024 ...... Concord Monitor ...... from the director of the Lake Sunapee Protective Association ...... Elizabeth Harper

It talks about $300,0000 wake boats and shoreline erosion, degradation of fish habitat, uprooting of aquatic plants, reduction of water quality, churning of sediment, and release of phosphorus which can lead to toxic cyanobacteria blooms.
Fishcat (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 07:21 AM   #18
Fishcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Opinion: Why regular folks should care about wake sport legislation ..... http://www.concordmonitor.com/My-Tur...ation-54528650 ..... March 27, 2024 ...... Concord Monitor ...... from the director of the Lake Sunapee Protective Association ...... Elizabeth Harper

It talks about $300,0000 wake boats and shoreline erosion, degradation of fish habitat, uprooting of aquatic plants, reduction of water quality, churning of sediment, and release of phosphorus which can lead to toxic cyanobacteria blooms.
Many of these boats are trailered in for the day and the owners do not have any stake in lake quality, shore erosion and the spreading of aquatic invasive species. Unfortunately, many people who do not have a stake in protecting the lake do not have the level of caring needed to keep the lake a safe environment. In this case, money talks. If the boats cost $300,000, we are not talking about people without financial resources. Someone must be creative enough to find a way to make the boat owners also stake holders in the lake quality.
Fishcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishcat For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (03-31-2024), GregW11 (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 09:21 AM   #19
John Mercier

The City of Laconia has a large stake in the lake; and the businesses that support these events have a large stake also.

They get the future they make.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:56 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Many of these boats are trailered in for the day and the owners do not have any stake in lake quality, shore erosion and the spreading of aquatic invasive species. Unfortunately, many people who do not have a stake in protecting the lake do not have the level of caring needed to keep the lake a safe environment. In this case, money talks. If the boats cost $300,000, we are not talking about people without financial resources. Someone must be creative enough to find a way to make the boat owners also stake holders in the lake quality.
I found this post interesting, that many wake boats are trailered... This is misguided assumption.... In my purview of the lake, None of the wake boats I see are trailered. They are actually all shore front owners in the area. There are about 5 such boats I see out more then then others and all but 1 of those Five, I know where the boats dock. Beyond that if you take ride around the shore of any part of the lake you will see the popularity of this boats has increased, and they are represent all over the lake.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:40 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Default Fri-Sat-Sun, May 17-18-19, 2024: Wake the Lake, N.H.

www.wakethelakenh.com happens in about six weeks , Fri-Sat-Sun, May 17-18-19, at Weirs Beach NH. This year, 2024 will be the third annual outdoor block party and this year it will have live bands on three stages, all weekend.

So, what does this have to do with wake boarding on Lake Winnipesaukee? Well, the name is 'Wake the Lake, New Hampshire' which sends a strong message. Instead of using the word 'Wake', it could have been Rock the Lake or Party the Lake, but it is Wake the Lake which uses the word 'Wake' as a verb and it takes place at Weirs Beach, Laconia on beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee.

Does that send a message that Lake Winnipesaukee is the place to go for wake boarding, or what, with the phrase 'Wake the Lake-NH'.
Fishcat (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 09:19 AM   #22
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.wakethelakenh.com happens in about six weeks , Fri-Sat-Sun, May 17-18-19, at Weirs Beach NH. This year, 2024 will be the third annual outdoor block party and this year it will have live bands on three stages, all weekend.

So, what does this have to do with wake boarding on Lake Winnipesaukee? Well, the name is 'Wake the Lake, New Hampshire' which sends a strong message. Instead of using the word 'Wake', it could have been Rock the Lake or Party the Lake, but it is Wake the Lake which uses the word 'Wake' as a verb and it takes place at Weirs Beach, Laconia on beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee.

Does that send a message that Lake Winnipesaukee is the place to go for wake boarding, or what, with the phrase 'Wake the Lake-NH'.
Or maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with wakesports, and is about waking the lakes region up from a long crappy winter, and getting people back in the mode for summer?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (04-01-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 10:37 AM   #23
Rich

Quote:
Or maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with wakesports, and is about waking the lakes region up from a long crappy winter, and getting people back in the mode for summer?
I agree, IMHO it's "wake" as in wake up from a long winter's nap!