Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2024, 10:42 AM   #1
MRJS

Default Do you enjoy listening to your landscaper's Bluetooth speaker music?

We make a courteous effort to make things as easy possible for the landscapers. What are your thoughts on Bluetooth speakers filling in the audio space between lawnmowers and leaf blowers?
MRJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:48 AM   #2
John Mercier

Not quite sure I understand.
They put on hearing protection and then blast the music to hear it over the noise and muffs/plugs?
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:34 AM   #3
MRJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Not quite sure I understand.
They put on hearing protection and then blast the music to hear it over the noise and muffs/plugs?
In this case two guys had a Bluetooth speaker going while pruning, another guy was playing music sitting in the truck up front, and another guy was running a leaf blower. It's different every time and depends on individual crew members.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:07 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Bluetooth air pods can be purchased for as low as $9.99 on amazon. Buy a few pairs and gift them

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:26 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,527 Times in 988 Posts

It may be that if they are all using the same source for music, some would be out of blue tooth range for ear buds. John is right, those operating machinery should be wearing eye and ear protection. My landscapers come as crew of four plus a foreman. They work hard and leave in an hour or two for most jobs. I'm OK with whatever noise for that short time frame.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2024, 03:10 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It may be that if they are all using the same source for music, some would be out of blue tooth range for ear buds. John is right, those operating machinery should be wearing eye and ear protection. My landscapers come as crew of four plus a foreman. They work hard and leave in an hour or two for most jobs. I'm OK with whatever noise for that short time frame.
You bring up the right question, how long does the situation last.... if this was an all day affair, I might get upset and gifting some cheap ear buds may happen. However if this last only a couple of hours, and lawn mowers etc. are creating noise that I would find more disturbing than any music.... what is the problem...

I have spent the last 4+ summers listening to constant building, screaming, etc. from building project happen all around me.... so I have no sympathy for something like this.... if it is to much to deal with, plan to be out running to the stores, or on a boat ride while the landscapers are doing their things....

Life is simple, don't be judgemental and look for way to mitigate the mole hills and don't let them become mountains... In the last 4+ years, I have taken plenty of boat rides to get away.....which has lead to great experiences on the water with my wife, watching loons, having lunch with beautiful views etc.

You can sour your life by sucking on a Lemon, or you can figure out how to make it into lemonade......or just find a new landscaper.....
MRD (05-02-2024), The Real BigGuy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:20 PM   #7
garysanfran

Not long ago a California town banned leaf blowers operating on weekends.

The next weekend, the professionals came out in force...Hundreds of them with leaf blowers on full while shouting...

"Sin justicia, no hay paz"! (No justice, no peace).

My girlfriend and I went into hysterics. Still chuckling when I revisit that visual memory.

I don't think the "law" was ever enforced.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:41 PM   #8
MRJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Bluetooth air pods can be purchased for as low as $9.99 on amazon. Buy a few pairs and gift them

Excellent idea. I wish the landscapers would all use earbuds instead of lighting up the neighborhood with a speaker. I just don't want to say anything and come across as a demanding customer.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:58 PM   #9
John Mercier

I think that is why he suggested a gift.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:28 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
You bring up the right question, how long does the situation last.... if this was an all day affair, I might get upset and gifting some cheap ear buds may happen. However if this last only a couple of hours, and lawn mowers etc. are creating noise that I would find more disturbing than any music.... what is the problem...

I have spent the last 4+ summers listening to constant building, screaming, etc. from building project happen all around me.... so I have no sympathy for something like this.... if it is to much to deal with, plan to be out running to the stores, or on a boat ride while the landscapers are doing their things....

Life is simple, don't be judgemental and look for way to mitigate the mole hills and don't let them become mountains... In the last 4+ years, I have taken plenty of boat rides to get away.....which has lead to great experiences on the water with my wife, watching loons, having lunch with beautiful views etc.

You can sour your life by sucking on a Lemon, or you can figure out how to make it into lemonade......or just find a new landscaper.....
Agreed, and doubly so for people doing chores that I don't want to do so badly that I pay someone else to do them.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:44 PM   #11
chachee52

If someone is doing something that you don't want to do yourself, or unable to do yourself and doing a good job, who cares what they are listening to or how they are listening to it. Now if it music that has a bunch of swears and they are blasting it than yes, I'd say something. If it's just a little music that they are enjoying and its making them happy to do a good job, no harm and you got what you wanted done.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:52 PM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

It's all noise, my landscapers are in and out in less than a half hour. I can deal with the noise for a half hour.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:48 PM   #13
Garcia

A friend of mine built up a highly successful landscaping business. One of the things he did was create a database of customer information. This was a huge benefit particularly with his high end clients. His workers would know that at some jobs they couldn't smoke, swear, had to wear shirts, acceptable music to play (or not), time(s) to show up to work, who to bring a paper to, whose mail to get, political beliefs - and in one case, no NY Yankee attire on the grounds as the customer was a rabid Red Sox fan. Tedious, yes, but the payoff was huge as not only did he do a great job, but he treated his customers the way they wanted to be treated. He sold the business a few years ago for a small fortune. The new owner hasn't done a good job treating his clients they way they want to be treated and the business is much smaller and less profitable.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:45 AM   #14
ApS

Arrow It Wasn't This Way When We Moved to Wolfeboro Neck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's all noise, my landscapers are in and out in less than a half hour. I can deal with the noise for a half hour.
Thursdays, I get the noise in stereo, and later in two monaural places within a quarter mile: but don't have the need to make my place into Connecticut.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:16 AM   #15
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
A friend of mine built up a highly successful landscaping business. One of the things he did was create a database of customer information. This was a huge benefit particularly with his high end clients. His workers would know that at some jobs they couldn't smoke, swear, had to wear shirts, acceptable music to play (or not), time(s) to show up to work, who to bring a paper to, whose mail to get, political beliefs - and in one case, no NY Yankee attire on the grounds as the customer was a rabid Red Sox fan. Tedious, yes, but the payoff was huge as not only did he do a great job, but he treated his customers the way they wanted to be treated. He sold the business a few years ago for a small fortune. The new owner hasn't done a good job treating his clients they way they want to be treated and the business is much smaller and less profitable.
In other words, the wealthy will pay more if you to kiss their A$$.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:50 AM   #16
The Real BigGuy

No, it is a good business man treating his customers the way they want to be treated. It is how you build a strong business.

I spent 45 years in sales & sales/BD management. I never understood why business owners paid thousands of dollars to send sales people to sales seminars that told you to be nice to your customers and treat them respectfully and how they wanted to be treated. Isn’t that common sense?

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:08 AM   #17
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
No, it is a good business man treating his customers the way they want to be treated. It is how you build a strong business.

I spent 45 years in sales & sales/BD management. I never understood why business owners paid thousands of dollars to send sales people to sales seminars that told you to be nice to your customers and treat them respectfully and how they wanted to be treated. Isn’t that common sense?

I know the routine; I was in a service business for 35 years. You treat everyone with respect, even the ones that don't deserve it, but respect is a two-way street.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #18
John Mercier

Quote:
Some businesses work on that idea.
But I find the wealthy are actually more easy going than the ''affluent''.

Because of the labor shortage... it is easier if management takes the time to engage customers that fit their business profile. Unfortunately, most management has never been taught to develop a business profile.

The customer profile route works, but can be a bit more data intense, and generally requires a customer that accepts the pricing/services that matches their profile.

Last edited by John Mercier; 05-03-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:51 PM   #19
JayR

If it's Springsteen, Zeppelin, AC/DC or other classic rock, then play it all day baby.

But, if it is any of the lousy music from the '90's and beyond that masquerades as rock (or worse, foreign or rap/gangsta stuff) then they need to turn it down or wear the earbuds - you know, in the interest of public noise ordinances and courtesy, of course.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #20
Garcia

Quote:
Or, know your customers and treat them how they want to be treated. The value in anything is in the eye of the beholder. In my friend’s case, the customer came first. If someone was rude, obnoxious, or didn’t pay, my friend wouldn’t work for them.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:25 PM   #21
John Mercier

If the customer is willing to pay enough... why not.

An old marketing phrase is you can have anything you want if you have enough time and money.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:29 AM   #22
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
I know the routine; I was in a service business for 35 years. You treat everyone with respect, even the ones that don't deserve it, but respect is a two-way street.
I agree but as a business owner, I can control respect from my side. I can’t tell you how many times I walked out of a meeting with a smile on my face but when I was out of range of eyes and ears I muttered “a__hole” under my breath.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 06:38 AM   #23
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Or, know your customers and treat them how they want to be treated. The value in anything is in the eye of the beholder. In my friend’s case, the customer came first. If someone was rude, obnoxious, or didn’t pay, my friend wouldn’t work for them.
I commend your friend. There are quite a lot of businesses out there that don’t understand it’s alright to walk away from work that isn’t good for your business. It isn’t just about revenue, it’s about what the revenue costs you both monetarily and structurally.