Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts
Default Sheriff procedures

I don't understand why the sheriff didn't call in the plate number and learn that the car was properly registered, but just had a missing sticker, worthy of a warning note, not a ticket or a towing.

I don't understand why the OP thinks, out of millions of cars registered in FL, his would be the one selected to have the sticker stolen.

Sounds like the motel needs an inspection by local code enforcement officials. They won't know if nobody tells them.

While not Lakes Region, I think the warning is to check Trip Advisor or other sources when booking is being done.

I tip the parking valet when service is received. Paying the kid in advance who says "Watch your car, mister? Just $10." is questionable.

A condo rule on Sanibel Island: "Don't back in because of fumes/noise going in open windows, doors and up to the second floor balcony."
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
ApS

Question Their Policy, but Not The Motel's Fault?

Good point!

Florida’s Towing Problem – The Police Do Not Enforce the Law

Quote:
"At the outset, you are not alone! It does not matter if you were only parked for a few minutes, that someone could have easily asked you to move the car, that where you parked did not bother/interfere/harm anyone, or that there were other cars parked in the same way but they were not towed.

Why? This is all about making money ($$$). You got it and the tow companies want to take it. While there most likely are many decent tow companies in Florida who are only seeking to make a living, its seems many, many, more are out to victimize Floridians by essentially stealing your car and forcing you to pay a ransom in order to get it back."

https://gulisanolaw.com/illegal-and-...ng-in-florida/
Apparently, I must contact the Public Service Agency in my County and file a complaint, or take them to Small Claims Court.

Yippee! I can get my money back and my attorney gets paid too.

More:
Quote:
"If the towing did not strictly comply with Florida law, vehicle owners are entitled to damages and they can additionally recover their costs and attorney fees. See Fla. Stat. § 715.07(4) (“When a person improperly causes a vehicle or vessel to be removed, such person shall be liable to the owner or lessee of the vehicle or vessel for the cost of removal, transportation, and storage; any damages resulting from the removal, transportation, or storage of the vehicle or vessel; attorney’s fees; and court costs.”).
Wyndham Hotels Days Inn signage was incomplete by Florida law accordingly, so my gripe is both with Wyndham Hotels Days Inn (improper signage) AND the towing company (using the vehicle towing law) to tow off private property? (They may, upon complaint, tow off the public right of way).

'Think I'll call Volusia County Sheriff back. They could check my registration's validity on June 1st, and cause the towing company to return my "ransom" money. (Paid in cash in exact dollar bills--plus a little).

Beware Volusia County get-rich schemes...Bernie Madoff didn't think of this...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:46 PM   #3
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Good point!

Apparently, I must contact the Public Service Agency in my County and file a complaint, or take them to Small Claims Court.

More:

Wyndham Hotels Days Inn signage was incomplete by Florida law accordingly, so my gripe is both with Wyndham Hotels Days Inn (improper signage) AND the towing company (using the vehicle towing law) to tow off private property? (They may, upon complaint, tow off the public right of way).

'Think I'll call Volusia County Sheriff back. They could check my registration's validity on June 1st, and cause the towing company to return my "ransom" money. (Paid in cash in exact dollar bills--plus a little).

Beware Volusia County get-rich schemes...Bernie Madoff didn't think of this...
Nah, move on and put your sticker on your plate. You'll just waste your time and more money.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:22 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,163 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Good point!

The reason Small Claims Court exists is so people don't have to pay attorney's for smaller dollar cases. You can go represent yourself and save the attorney's fee.

There is a chapter and section in the law in most states often titled: Failure to display valid evidence of registration. It is your responsibility to do so, not the police officer's job to run plates to see if they have been renewed. As you have learned, the validation sticker belongs on the plate.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:23 AM   #5
ApS

Question An Update from Ormond Beach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I don't understand why the sheriff didn't call in the plate number and learn that the car was properly registered, but just had a missing sticker, worthy of a warning note, not a ticket or a towing. I don't understand why the OP thinks, out of millions of cars registered in FL, his would be the one selected to have the sticker stolen.
Sounds like the motel needs an inspection by local code enforcement officials.
They won't know if nobody tells them. While not Lakes Region, I think the warning is to check Trip Advisor or other sources when booking is being done. I tip the parking valet when service is received. Paying the kid in advance who says "Watch your car, mister? Just $10." is questionable. A condo rule on Sanibel Island: "Don't back in because of fumes/noise going in open windows, doors and up to the second floor balcony."
My car was towed from an Ormond Beach Days-Inn motel.

Warnings to “Park with front of vehicles to be ‘facing-in’ or your car will be towed”. (Written in white shoe polish on lobby windows). I complied, and turned in for the night. In the early morning hours--just 15-feet away--my car was being towed.

In a follow-up call this month, Ormond Beach Police said, “It was the option left to motel parking lots to have 'derelict cars' removed”.

($150--plus an eight-hour round trip to court is hardly worth even going to Small Claims Court, but lawyers themselves only have write a letter). I emailed Days-Inn, who said they 'were sorry I was inconvenienced'. (!)

I suspect a scam between that Days-Inn motel and the tow truck company. (Eastern-European-owned, BTW).

Thanks in part to a major backup on I-95 on my return trip, I stumbled on a great nationwide chain motel in Georgia. (Although Tourist + State + City taxes made up a third of the bill for overnighting).

Meanwhile, Wyndham Hotels is still emailing me "earned points".

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links