Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
megheckman

Default Mighty Mo

Hi there,
My name is Meg Heckman and I'm a reporter with the Concord Monitor. I'm heading up to Melvin Village next week to meet Bill Whall, AKA Mighty Mo. I'd love to talk to boaters who chat with him on the VHF, or who know him personally for a profile that would run in the paper later this month.
You can reach my by email at mheckman@cmonitor.com or by phone at 369-3313.
Thanks,
Meg
megheckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Water Camper

Default Mighty Mo

Meg,

It was very good talking with you today. I was a little surprised to hear that more people had not responded to your request for info about Mighty Mo, which is why I am responding on the Forum. I know he has helped me out several times and I'm sure there are many more, like myself, that he has helped out. Hopefully some of them will step forward, he has been an asset to us Winni Boaters as far as I am concerned.

Good luck with your interview tomorrow.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Silver Duck

Meg

While I've never personally needed Mighty Mo's assistance, it's very comforting to know that he's out there listening and ready to help when needed!

I'll second Bill's opinion that he's a real asset to the boating community!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
Meg

I'll second Bill's opinion that he's a real asset to the boating community!

Silver Duck
I'll third that. Our second time out on the lake with our boat on a Memorial Day weekend, we ran out of gas short of Melvin Village Marina. Mighty Mo called them and they came out to tow us in and fill us up. His assistance was very much appreciated, as there wasn't much boat traffic that day.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
secondcurve

Who is Mighty Mo? What is he famous for?

Thanks,
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Mighty Mo II is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Who is Mighty Mo? What is he famous for? Thanks,
Mighty Mo II is the Marine Radio "boat name" of Bill Whall who is kind of like a guardian angel of the Lake.

Skip described him in this 2001 post from the old forum archives:

Who is Mighty Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip, from 2001
The "Mighty Mo" is Mr. Bill Whall of Meredith. This gentleman monitors Coast Guard, CB, Fire, Police and National Weather Service frequencies around the Lake.

Bill has intercepted numerous emergency transmissions on both CG 16 and CB 9 and helped countless boaters on the lake from his "listening post" in Meredith.

By the way, Bill does this on his own time with his own equipment, usually with little or no recognition (with permission of his gracious wife).

Last year Bill was recognized nationally by being awarded the prestigious Bunzl Boating Safety Award for his countless hours of voluntary dedication to the boaters of the region.

Chances are if you run into trouble, Bill will be listening and more than happy to help you out!

IMHO, Bill's one of those New England "characters" that gives the Lake Winnipesaukee region it's magical charm.

Skip

A link I found to the 2001 news article about Bill no longer works or I would post it too.

He's a member of the Marine Patrol Auxiliary but has been assisting boaters via radio for many years before that. If you monitor Marine VHF Channel 16 around the Lake you have probably heard Might Mo responding to calls for assistance or just folks saying "hi".

I look forward to Ms Heckman's upcoming article. Bill, aka Might Mo, deserves the recognition.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Phantom

I always thought he was in Melvin Village
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
Water Camper

Default Mighty Mo

Phantom,

I believe you are correct.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
Misty Blue

Default Mighty Mo

He does.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Mighty Mo story in Concord Monitor

A nice piece about Mighty Mo appeared recently in the Concord Monitor.

Storm on the way? 'Mighty Mo' knows
For years, he's been the voice of the lake

By: MEG HECKMAN

Mighty Mo

We are lucky to have him around Lake Winnipesaukee.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
rrr

thanks Al - I was hoping for a chance to see this
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Eric Austin

Smile Might Mo

This is sort of off the subject, but I don't know if anyone has ever heard of Warren Andrews, W1MCX, from Salem Control (Salem Massachusetts). He used to help boaters and mariners in and around Salem harbor from his house near the ocean. He used to monitor the Marine VHF Channel 16 156.800MHz, along with the local ham radio repeaters, and many other public service frequencies, in a similar manner to Mighty Mo. Warren was blind and was able to monitor several radios at once. He was also able to grab the correct microphone, when needed.

He, along with several members of my local amateur radio club, was actually instrumental in assisting with a tragic rescue attempt by the pilot boat The Can Do during the Blizzard of '78 (see the book Ten Hours Until Dawn http://www.michaeltougias.com/).

I had the pleasure of meeting Warren during my early years as a ham radio operator, before he passed away. He was an inspiration to me and my development as a radio operator. Perhaps I will have the pleasure of talking with or meeting Mighty Mo.

Again, I know that this is a little off of the subject of Lake Winnipesaukee. However, I really hope that people like Warren and Mighty Mo know how much they are appreciated. Knowing that someone is there to provide assistance is very reassuring. The fact that they do it just because they want to is very inspirational. I just want to thank Mighty Mo for all that he does.

K1EEA
Eric Austin
Eric Austin is offline   Reply With Quote