View Single Post
Old 06-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #14
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I phoned the Volusia County Sheriff's Office this morning. Police don't have an "automatic" mandate for ordering vehicles towed from private property.

Ormand Beach Days Inn first registered me to a smokers' room with a damaged door and a chirping smoke alarm. Since the alarm was 110-volts, and hard-wired to the ceiling (and out of easy reach) I opted to change rooms and was directed to park on the opposite side of the motel. (Where I unloaded from the inconvenient end).

The new room, continuing with smoking odors and damaged lock/door frame, was just OK--but towing might have been made even easier!

Ready to finally relax, I pressed a Styrofoam coffee cup to the hallway's ice machine--which promptly dropped its entire front door near my toes! (No ice container had been provided to the room).

As for expense, this Days Inn was somewhat more expensive than my usual stay in Ormond Beach. Others had charged a $100 deposit!

I blame Wyndham for their "coupon incentive" to stay at their large family of motels. :

I ran this problem by a Motel 6 registration desk during my stopover in Pennsylvania. They said Pennsylvania had abandoned the decal system.

Stolen annual decals have long been a problem in Florida, so I carry my current registration with my drivers license. Alas, nobody asked to confirm my ownership--they just quietly towed my vehicle.

I agree, and should be contacting Ormond Beach PD "desk" first thing tomorrow. Say, where is an opinion from member "Mr. V"?

I hope I have more luck than with the Volusia Sheriff's Office. Their "telephone tree" was so labyrinthine, I resorted to 911, where I was casually patched-through to the towing company. (Who I can't really fault--excepting...).
Just thinking off the top of my head; Check with Triple A (AAA) and find out if this Motel 6 is on their recommended list (i.e. in their book). If it is, you should route your complaint up the ladder at AAA and explain your experience. This could give them the incentive to either place a written warning about this on their recommended posting, or they may elect to remove the listing altogether.

The above is just a suggestion to get a few teeth on the issue without having to get a runaround from either the towing company or the Sheriff's Office.

Not only have you experienced an expensive recovery, but you've experienced a VERY INCONVENIENT disruption to your travels (and routine).

I am sorry to read of your troubles and I sincerely hope that this eventually ends up working in your favor with a full reimbursement.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote