View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 11:07 AM   #70
John Mercier

Sort of.
Sequestration is when the process by which nutrient loading is stored.

When I collect my leaves and transport them to the compost pile, I am nutrient loading my compost pile. As my pile matures, it is sequestering the nutrients.

So the run-off is nutrient loading, and the lake bottom is trying to sequester the nutrients.

When a bloom occurs, but is swept downstream... the nutrient load moves. When it dies and sinks to the bottom, it moves from suspension and is sequestered in the lake bottom. When we disturb it, we remove it from sequestration and make it active once more.

But if no new nutrients were entered into the system... no nutrient loading would occur.
The existing nutrients would move from sequestration, to active , and back again in a continuous cycle based on the level of disturbance.

We've nutrient loaded the system to the point that natural process is overturned... and thus the blooms.

Same thing happens in my garden... as my raised beds lose nutrients to the plants, unless I return those nutrients with the compost, my production drops. Excess nutrients, if I am not careful, can be washed out by the heavy and frequent rainfall. Because my surrounding ground ''perc''s so well, that nutrient transfer simply makes the weeds around the raised beds grow better.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote