View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #39
ApS

Post Captain's Call...Close Call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
"...Sorry, it's a common case of some spoiling it for all. And noise is a big complaint, especially in the evening..."
We've seen posts of boat noise on Winnipesaukee during the wee hours of the morning.

Noise travels very easily across water. I'm living one mile from the nearest shore in Florida presently and hear dogs barking over there as though they were right next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
"...Does anyone know why the Captain's Call or switchable exhaust is not allowed on the Lake? Seems like it would make the lake a quieter place..."
One Crownline owner near me manually switches his Silent Choice off and on repeatedly while passing by. Another, a GFBL, does the same. Disguised, the boat's name is "Herr Male".

As jeffk says, it only takes a few to ruin it for the many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
"...But hey when was the last time a law was passed that was logical..."
"Logical" depends on context.

Under proposed National Healthcare legislation, we can expect laws against behavior that can affect the costs of healthcare (e.g., the mandatory wearing of motorcycle helmets). Moreover, excessively loud noise affects the hearing of very young children (though it's possible that some restoration occurs naturally over the rest of their lives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
"...BTW, I LOVE the sound of my car horn, although I know most people do not..."
LOL!

But bikers take a big risk in assuming their noise helps their safety.

Two members of my family have hearing aids for both ears. Neither can hear traffic well with the windows up.

Just last Saturday, a Harley biker left a gas station directly opposite my guest's sedan as we entered the near lane to cross the center line. The wide windshield pillar hid the biker completely from our seasoned driver!

This was a newish Toyota four-door and you can see how wide the A-pillars are in the below photo.

If the front seat passenger hadn't yelled, "STOP! STOP!", we would have had the helmetless biker through our windshield.

It was the closest call with a biker I've ever witnessed.