View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 06:24 AM   #21
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The 2017 sale fell through after the state archaeologist said there may be Native American remains or artifacts buried there.

The archaeologist, Richard Boisvert, says the land near Weirs Drive-In Theater in Laconia was once a Native American fishing camp. Al Mitchell, the planned buyer in 2017, backed out of the $2.5 million sale due to concerns about added costs if remains or artifacts were discovered during construction. It’s not clear how long that could have delayed development.

It is claimed that the camp had activity dating back as far as 10,000 years. Richard Boisvert carried out an excavation that uncovered archaeological materials adjacent to the drive-in in 1990.

About 15 years ago there was another planned project for an 80 room hotel on the Weirs Channel that fell through for the same reasons.
It always seems unfair to me that a state can say, “we believe, but aren’t really sure, that a property has significant historical artifacts on it but, we are not going to do anything to investigate/retrieve these artifacts. However, Mr/Mrs Buyer you will be responsible for the costs of investigating and properly retrieving them and then they will belong to the state not to you.” Sounds totally unfair to me. If I’m paying for the work, shouldn’t I own the proceeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote