View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
To answer mswlogo: we are just not up for a huge DIY project...too long in the tooth for that....BUT, as a temporary fix, something not too strenuous or time consuming we could manage. However, it’s a great boat, and definitely worth the ceramic treatment, just not now at the start of a busy boating season. There are some very worthwhile suggestions here.
It’s really not that bad. The worst part is that it’s wicked boring.

The orbital and the right grit do most of the work.

I highly suspect you’ll need what I posted. How does your boat look compared to what I posted.

The first step is a strong compound. But the orbital and grit will do most of the elbow grease.
After a layer is literally sanded off, you polish that smooth with orbital. Then you put on a wax to protect it.

This is why the 3 step is the EASIEST. Big reason is you KNOW when you have removed the oxidation. You are also putting all effort in to removing it. Trying to remove, polish and wax all in one is hard. They fight each other. It will shine but you’ll likely be hiding it with wax that won’t last. After second step it will look done with no artificial covering. The last step is an attempt to make it last, not cover it up.

It’s very satisfying and you don’t have to do it all in one shot. Sounds like you have the orbital. You’ll need a a bunch of pads. Probably 6 firm ones depending on boat size. My boat was a 20’.
I’m 60 BTW and in “ok” shape. Oh, I only did the sides/back, no way I did under, which tends not to oxidize that much any way and often not colored gel coat which shows it up the most.

Note you don’t want one of those huge waxing orbital buffers with hand grips on each side and had fluffy pads that were like 10-12” That cost $30 at Walmart. Those are junk.

This is the one I have. It’s really powerful. But I think I used 4” pads to dig deeper without pushing harder. But that takes longer. Wear ear protection and a mask and you won’t be so worn out too.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage.../dp/B08GP2CWD8

The temporary fixes are so disappointing. It will look better, but half way through the season it will look like it does now, believe me I tried.
Think of it as about 3 back to back temporary fixes worth of work. But will last 10x longer.

Here is a video of someone doing it. I'd ignore the baby oil tip. Oh ignore the huffing and puffing keep in mind he is doing a HUGE boat here, so he is using a large oribital with a large pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeexj0jhJp4

Last edited by mswlogo; 05-26-2021 at 09:02 PM.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote