Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wolfeboro Hit and Run (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29031)

thinkxingu 08-13-2023 01:42 PM

Wolfeboro Hit and Run

My wife just shared this with me. Poor Chris Craft.

https://indepthnh.org/2023/08/13/wol...investigation/

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

wingnuts 08-13-2023 01:50 PM

Wmur

WMUR is posting the same story with the same two pictures now...

ishoot308 08-13-2023 02:24 PM

Unbelievable….what a shame!

FlyingScot 08-13-2023 02:43 PM

Sad and disgusting, especially to an irreplaceable boat. Happy to see the ID'd the guys, looking forward to heavy punishment

John Mercier 08-13-2023 02:44 PM

So what is the punishment for leaving the scene of a boating accident and not reporting it?

Susie Cougar 08-13-2023 02:47 PM

I can see that the beach area is roped off around the raft for swimming and safety, I am assuming. Do you think that he hit a rock which pushed him off course and into the boat or what is anyone speculating?

TheTimeTraveler 08-13-2023 03:20 PM

Maybe alcohol was involved ?

Obviously some very poor judgement was involved in leaving the scene but maybe they'll blame it on the bottle.

tis 08-13-2023 03:23 PM

We just went by. There are three barges, 2 MP Cars, and caution tape there. The boat hasn't been moved. The wooden boat was taken out.

ApS 08-13-2023 03:41 PM

Crime Scene?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 386589)
We just went by. There are three barges, 2 MP Cars, and caution tape there. The boat hasn't been moved. The wooden boat was taken out.

"Caution" tape or "Crime Scene" tape?

:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 386583)
Sad and disgusting, especially to an irreplaceable boat. Happy to see the ID'd the guys, looking forward to heavy punishment

The dock doesn't look so good, either...:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 386587)
Maybe alcohol was involved ?
Obviously some very poor judgement was involved in leaving the scene but maybe they'll blame it on the bottle.

Let's not speculate now.

We'll have the full story soon...

Y'know, like the Nipple Rock crash. :rolleye2:

tis 08-13-2023 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 386591)
"Caution" tape or "Crime Scene" tape?

:confused:

It was hard to tell -it was yellow.

codeman671 08-13-2023 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The owner of this boat is a menace. It is the same one that was found on the rocks a few years ago. The picture of them leaving in the getaway boat is priceless!

I saw this boat in Meredith a few years ago. Probably 20 people on it partying hard. They pulled into the docks to reload on beer. Multiple cases were carried across the street and loaded on so the party could rage on.

Sorry, pics from my phone often load upside down!

The Real BigGuy 08-13-2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 386584)
So what is the punishment for leaving the scene of a boating accident and not reporting it?

Since it’s State Police, I’m betting leaving the scene of a boating accident is the same as leaving the scene of a car accident. As far as alcohol use - there is now no way to prove it. May have been why they left the scene but, we’ll never know for sure.

Sad about the beautiful Chris-Craft but at least no one was hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Slickcraft 08-13-2023 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 386593)
The owner of this boat is a menace. It is the same one that was found on the rocks a few years ago. The picture of them leaving in the getaway boat is priceless!

I saw this boat in Meredith a few years ago. Probably 20 people on it partying hard. They pulled into the docks to reload on beer. Multiple cases were carried across the street and loaded on so the party could rage on.

Sorry, pics from my phone often load upside down!

Back upside up

Slickcraft 08-13-2023 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 386595)
Since it’s State Police, I’m betting leaving the scene of a boating accident is the same as leaving the scene of a car accident. As far as alcohol use - there is now no way to prove it. May have been why they left the scene but, we’ll never know for sure.

Sad about the beautiful Chris-Craft but at least no one was hurt.

Very sad about the old woody.

Maybe in addition to conduct after an accident charge to the driver, the other driver of the get away boat should be charged with accessory after the fact.

Alan

SAB1 08-13-2023 05:03 PM

Only reason they fled was they were hammered. No other reason to run. You just put a boat worth $100k on the a dock. They are gonna get caught cause you know they gotta call their insurance company lol.

John Mercier 08-13-2023 08:55 PM

Well, I was thinking they must impound the boat until after the trial.
As well as remove boating license until such time... and if found guilty... could they lose their boating license forever?

They had time to report it the next day... but seems they didn't bother.
The damage is well over $1000, but I don't know what the reporting timeline is.

Would this be a big enough event to trigger a round of LSRs to enhance penalties?

Cobaltdeadhead 08-14-2023 07:39 AM

Both the owner of the Sea Ray and the Wellcraft should lose their boating licenses for ten years. Even if they can't prove impairment, leaving the scene of an accident should result in that steep of a penalty. Especially for Sea Ray guy. Second wreck of his in two years

The Real BigGuy 08-14-2023 08:29 AM

I’m sure they are “lawyered up” and are planning the usual defenses (I wasn’t on the boat, someone stole my boat, there must be a boat like mine w/a falsified registration number, etc.). Hope he/they get more than a slap on the wrist! Not sure taking someone’s boating license will stop these guys from operating.

Cobaltdeadhead 08-14-2023 09:20 AM

Make a condition of operating with a suspended license the same as a car; you get caught, you go to jail. This wealthy A-hole should not be above the law

trashman 08-14-2023 09:21 AM

Total jerks. I bet when they hit this boat they didnt stick around to even make sure noone else was on or around that woody. Just concerned about themselves. That Sea Ray will be sold and they will be the same old jerks on some other boat next summer. Thank God noone got hurt.

Winilyme 08-14-2023 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashman (Post 386630)
Total jerks. I bet when they hit this boat they didnt stick around to even make sure noone else was on or around that woody. Just concerned about themselves. That Sea Ray will be sold and they will be the same old jerks on some other boat next summer. Thank God noone got hurt.

All the names you all are calling these clowns are far too generous. I for one, lack words.

chachee52 08-14-2023 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boat is being towed back to MP headquarters right now. MP right there with them

LIforrelaxin 08-14-2023 10:24 AM

Its going to be interesting to see how this one unfolds... Of course I also wonder just how many details we are going to get as the investigation goes on.....

They MP have all the information they need to get this figured out, we all just need to allow that to happen.......

ishoot308 08-14-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 386635)
Its going to be interesting to see how this one unfolds... Of course I also wonder just how many details we are going to get as the investigation goes on.....

They MP have all the information they need to get this figured out, we all just need to allow that to happen.......

We will probably get as much information as the guy who hit nipple rock! Those names were never released to the public!….makes you wonder why?….

Dan

FlyingScot 08-14-2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 386636)
We will probably get as much information as the guy who hit nipple rock! Those names were never released to the public!….makes you wonder why?….

Dan

The guy who hit a rock just hit a rock. Destroying somebody else's boat and fleeing may be criminal. If not criminal, it's at least subject to a civil lawsuit. Either way leaves a public record

ishoot308 08-14-2023 10:48 AM

Hit A Rock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 386637)
The guy who hit a rock just hit a rock. Destroying somebody else's boat and fleeing may be criminal. If not criminal, it's at least subject to a civil lawsuit. Either way leaves a public record

The guy just didn’t “hit a rock”….he and his passenger were both ejected into the water while his boat went dangerously around in circles before eventually hitting the back end of a marine patrol boat and nearly killed two officers while dragging them under the overturned and capsized RIB…..Yet no names released?…really?? Sorry but something stinks to high heaven on that one!

Dan

chachee52 08-14-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 386638)
The guy just didn’t “hit a rock”….he and his passenger were both ejected into the water while his boat went dangerously around in circles before eventually hitting the back end of a marine patrol boat and nearly killed two officers while dragging them under the overturned and capsized RIB…..Yet no names released?…really?? Sorry but something stinks to high heaven on that one!

Dan

I think what they are trying to say is the guy that hit Nipple rock might not have had any charges because no significant laws were broken, so no names would have been made public. Might have been an unfortunate accident.

John Mercier 08-14-2023 11:00 AM

I have seen this in every recreation.
Complaints about the loss of freedom (speed on Winni and such), but no legislator around the lake seeking to impose higher fines and loss of privilege.

I have to say, it is our fault. We simply allow it to go on day after day without holding the Legislature's feet to the fire.

Instead we make broad restrictions that only punish those that act in good faith.

bman60 08-14-2023 11:19 AM

Hope they will use his cell phone data to prove he was there.

Woodsy 08-14-2023 11:41 AM

Unfortunately it will be almost impossible to prove impairment or who was driving... Although there may be some charges forthcoming from the investigation.

The silver lining of this accident is that thankfully nobody was killed and most likely there is plenty of liability insurance on that 50' SeaRay to cover both the dock rebuild and the old woody rebuild.

Woodsy

mofn 08-14-2023 11:47 AM

An owner has so lovingly cared for such an old wooden craft, and have it wrecked by a window licker on HIS dock!
Anybody that has similar stories about this oxygen thief like codeman671posted up, I’m sure the D.A. will appreciate the help! Let’s get this guy (and the 1997 Well Craft… accessory after the fact) buried in lawyer fees before a trail is even held from his past practices.

duocat 08-14-2023 12:09 PM

Slow learner

1 Attachment(s)
Same boat Grounded on different rocks September 2021

Slickcraft 08-14-2023 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit of rotate

That driver is a danger to the lake.

TiltonBB 08-14-2023 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The boat is currently at Silver Sands Marina with two Marine Patrol Officers standing by. It may be taken out of the water by crane in the next couple of days.

You really have to over achieve to qualify for two rows of Police tape!

thinkxingu 08-14-2023 02:25 PM

In all seriousness, almost all people go their whole (boating) lives without doing what this guy did...TWICE.

I hope there are serious consequences for everyone involved.

Also, were I him, I'd be thanking whatever god he believes in that he doesn't have blood on his hands.

FlyingScot 08-14-2023 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 386638)

Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 386640)
I think what they are trying to say is the guy that hit Nipple rock might not have had any charges because no significant laws were broken, so no names would have been made public. Might have been an unfortunate accident.

Yes and yes. I agree with Dan's implication--I should not be flippant about the danger to the officers. But as chachee says--the Nipple Rock incident does not appear to be a crime. This latest incident does. So we should expect names here

thinkxingu 08-14-2023 03:56 PM

A note that someone posted aerial pics and a bit more detail about the accident on the iBoat Facebook page.

Here's the link, for anyone interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423...ibextid=Nif5oz

The Real BigGuy 08-14-2023 04:09 PM

I was at a boat repair shop near Exeter and a person who works their, and knew I kept my boat on Winni, brought the accident up unsolicited. He add that a rumor is circulating that the owner has said that the boat was stolen by a bunch of kids. I wonder???????

WinterHarborGuy 08-14-2023 04:13 PM

There is a picture on social media of the escape boat sitting in the water by the crash...and it's full of middle aged people, not any kids that I could see.

WinterHarborGuy 08-14-2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 386658)
I was at a boat repair shop near Exeter and a person who works their, and knew I kept my boat on Winni, brought the accident up unsolicited. He add that a rumor is circulating that the owner has said that the boat was stolen by a bunch of kids. I wonder???????

The social media post I mention “alleges” that the crew was seen in at a watering hole on the other side of the lake at 8. If he or “they” are adding (allegedly) false reporting of a crime to the charges, have at it.

They have 2 boats (both identified), and at least “some” pictures from Winter Harbor after the crash. I gather from that social media post, that there are eyewitness reports from this bar.