Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   History of Lake Shore Park (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3646)

Dickie B from HB 09-01-2006 07:19 PM

The Army Duck

Hi All-
I have a nostalgia question. Does anyone remember the Army Duck that used to come to the Park in the late forties? It would come across the lake, and drive onto the beach at short beach or long beach. It would take campers for a ride for $.50. I can remember getting on it at the old ball field. It took us up towards Samoset and back for a half hour ride. A great thrill for a little kid.

Dick B.

carguy 09-01-2006 07:43 PM

Army Duck at LSP

1 Attachment(s)
Dickie:

In my DVD on LSP there coverage on the Army DUKW (Duck) at LSP. I look to be about six years old, so that makes it about 1949. The DVD shows the passsengers boarding the Duck at the Pavilion, then the scene shifts to the Duck entering the Lake at Long Beach followed by the Duck exiting the Lake and returning to the Pavilion. The DVD I refer to is the one that I had made up of my dad's 8mm movies taken at the Park from 1947-1952. Other highlights are a boat parade and the raising of the flagpole along the waterfront at Lake Shore Parkin September 1949.

Here is a picture of the Duck exiting the water at Lake Shore Park on Long Beach. This photo was taken with my digital camera of my DVD video playing on my laptop computer's 14" widescreen. The quality could be better.

carguy 09-01-2006 08:22 PM

Boats at Lake Shore Park

1 Attachment(s)
Dickie B and N0-Mo-Shun:

Here is a photo taken from my DVD on Lake Shore Park and copied with my digital camera off my computer. The boat is a nice late 1920's Chris-Craft Triple Cockpit. The driver/owner of the boat is a man named Ray Hawkes who was married to Elsie Hermanson. This boat has to be a painted over Mahogany boat. I don't think Chris Craft made any white hulled boats in those years. After WWII, Chris Craft made some white painted cedar hulled utilities due to the shortage of mahogany.

seadoochick 09-04-2006 09:06 AM

Hi Dickie B, No-MShun, Pepper, Gravy & All

I am new at this. But could not resist getting my two cents in. I too spent many summers at LSP. From the time I was born until we moved down the road to Aqua Vue.

So hi to all cousins on this site!!

Many memories even after we left as my parents would go to LSP every night to play poker with aunts, uncles and grandparents,while my sister and I would go to the pavillion to dance and hang out with our friends.

We lived in the first cabin in the second row on long beach.Next to Ellocoya.
My Dad built that one.

One day we had a snapping turtle in our foot bath by the front door. Was that cousin Bill?

I have a picture some where of Ellie B pushing me in the water in a big wash tub. LSP is where I learned to swim and spent many nights staying with Grandma in the Birches cabin on Long Beach.

My Mom and AUnt once spent hours making a dress for me out of bread wrappers to wear in the costume contest they had every year. I think I won a prize.

Ah, what fun to remember!

Hope all is well on the left coast.

Judy

Dickie B from HB 09-05-2006 02:46 AM

Hi Seadoochick-

Welcome to this posting fest. This is becoming a real family reunion.

Bill and I were talking last week about the boat your Dad had when you and your family lived at LSP. In the 40's it was one of the few boats that was pulled up on the beach at Long Beach. I think it was the first boat that belonged to anyone in our extended family. That little light row boat, the Feather, was the first boat that allowed any of us kids to get out onto the water.

Speaking of snapping turltes, do you remember that giant snapping turtle (about 12 to 15 inches in diameter) that the men pulled out of the lake in about 48 or 49? I have a picture of it on the beach with a crowd of people standing around. It created quite a stir. After everyone was done taking pictures they put it in the swamp (now the marina).

Best Regards,
Dick B.

seadoochick 09-06-2006 03:05 PM

Snapping Turtle,

Hi Dickie B.

I don't remember the snapping turtle, except the one in the foot bath.

I do remember the moose that swam up on the shore and died one year.

He swam to Ellacoya Beach.

Yes, the feather was the only boat on long beach for awhile. Mr. Bailey had the big yacht anchored off shore however.
I think the feather is now at the bottom of the lake to make a home for fish.

Sure is fun to read all the remeberances from everyone. It was a great place for kids to spend the summer. Weren't we lucky!!!!

kudo's to Steve A and all for providing all the post cards and pictures to preserve the wonderful history of LSP.

Judy:)

gravy boat 09-06-2006 07:34 PM

Welcome Seadoochick!

Hello, Cousin! Welcome and enjoy!

Pepper 09-06-2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravy boat
Hello, Cousin! Welcome and enjoy!

I just figured out who Seadoochick is! WELCOME cousin! Now will you please speak to your neice in Texas and tell her if she doesn't get registered and start posting soon, GravyBoat and I are gonna do something desperate! :eek: :D ;)

Porch Sitter 09-07-2006 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok…Pepper I’m in!
Add another family member to the forum/reunion!
Hi ya’ll---Seadoochick, Pepper, Gravy, Dickie B, No-Mo-Shun, your Texas connection chiming in!

My LSP memories are limited but I do remember entering a summer costume contest as the “5 Little Indians” and pumping water from the well by the pavilion. However, with all this talk of LSP, I had to confiscate some old photos from my parents, just thought I would share this one, I am guessing 1940’s? Does anyone know who it is? Pepper check with your MIL!

Enjoy!!
Debbie

Pepper 09-07-2006 10:12 PM

Well waddaya know!!!

It's about time PorchSitter!!!!! :D You've been lurking for far too long, living at the lake vicariously through all of us here year-round! :rolleye2: Very nice to FINALLY have you posting. ;)

Now, with regard to the above photo, I'm going to take a shot in the dark (because my MIL is asleep right now) and guess that the adorable cherub in the photo above is SeadooChick. Am I close?

John A. Birdsall 09-08-2006 12:08 PM

Lake Shore Park

While I don't recall ever staying there, we did visit it quite often as we had neighbors from Reading Mass that used to have a place there and if my memory is right it was late 50's or early 60. Their names were Basners, Lets see fathers name was Fred, Mother was Arlene, and then three boys Fred, John, and Charlie, charlie was the youngest and of the three boys he is the only one alive today. I think Arlene is in a nursing home, and Fred had died.
John Died last year I think.

My impression of LSP was a small city, but a lot of friendly people.:emb:

Dickie B from HB 09-08-2006 04:42 PM

Hi Porch Sitter

Hello Debbie,

That picture was probably taken in the early 40's. If I'm not mistaken it was taken in front of Charly Dick's place which was to the left of the Birches. Bill might know for sure.

If so, then that must be Joe Reagen's dock in the background. If someone has a picture of his old lake boat, I would like to see that again.

For any current residents of LSP, do they still hold the costume contest at the Pavilion? That was always a big deal, with two or three hundred kids dressed in homemade costumes of which many were extremely clever.

Best Regards,
Dick B.

Porch Sitter 09-08-2006 09:32 PM

Hi Dickie B,

I think they do still hold that contest - I beleive that Seadoochick and my mother even judged it last year!!!

No-Mo-Shun 09-09-2006 12:53 AM

Welcome, SEADOOCHICK and PORCHSITTER

:devil: Just got back from a trip, so some catching up to do. I don't remember the turtle in the foot bath, but I do like it, so maybe I'm guilty. The photo does look like it is in front of Charlie Dick's place. I wonder if we can come up with the names of all of the cabin owners on Long Beach, starting at Minnehaha Beach. No's 1 & 2 are blank for me, no. 3 was Jane Banks and later Bud Croes. No. 4 was Boerner's, no. 5 --Jed Cleversey, no.6--Blumstedt's, no. 7---Mather's, no.8--Bailey's, no. 9--- Austin's, no. 10--Fred and Florence Croes, no.11-- Charlie Dick, no. 12--Scott's and later Smitty. Second row was Matthews at the fence, Doc and Mickey Smith and Nelson's with Joe Reagan alongside the swamp(marina). What did I miss? There must be plenty.

gravy boat 09-13-2006 09:47 AM

LSP --the early years -- more photos found

HI All,

I just found one of my Mom's scrapbooks, including Winni Pageant info/photos from 1948 and 1949 (Mom was the runner up in 1948 and 2nd runner up in 1949), and found some nice photos of LSP. There were only tents, so I'm guessing the photos are prior to 1935. I hve a photo of Mom, No-mo-shun and Henry Banks on the LSP beach, summer 1935. One of Gramma Gladys, washing some clothes in the lake; a few of the tent and camping setup.

Hope to find a scanner so I can share some photos!

Gravy

Pepper 09-13-2006 09:59 PM

Gravy - I've got a scanner at work. Come by any time, the laptop's always there with me, and we can scan, save, burn to cd, whatever! While we're at it, I'll print some out for Grandma Adele! It'll make her day! :D

BTW - PorchSitter isn't answering me ... who's the cherub in the photo above????? :confused:

Porch Sitter 09-14-2006 07:34 PM

Hi Pepper!

I don't know who it is ? maybe seadoochick does??
I thought about putting together a DVD/slideshow on Aqua Vue and its beginings after digging through all the old pics, but I am not sure who some of the people are and this was one of them! Thought that would be easier than a scrapbook!
I'll share when done (could be months)

Pepper 09-14-2006 09:41 PM

Oh! Now I get it - so, I'll ask Grandma Adele to check it out next time she's here (where there's internet access) and as soon as I have an answer I'll let you know! :D

mcdude 09-15-2006 04:36 PM

A few more postcards....
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...eshorepark.jpg

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...omcastle_1.jpg
A Library of Congress Photo - early 1900s. View from Kimball's Castle of Rattlesnake Island and Lakeshore Park.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...shortbeach.jpg

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...shorepark2.jpg
"Hope to have fresh caught salmon that Lee caught for supper tonight. Trailer living isn't too bad.?
:look:

carguy 09-15-2006 07:05 PM

Lake Shore Park Postcards

Thanks McDude, for posting the postacards. Some clarification on what we are looking at in these photos: The top post card is of Long Beach at Lake Shore Park (LSP). The second one down is a black and wife photo of the Chanticleer Inn next to Belknap Point. In the right hand side background of the photo is Lake Shore Park (Carr's Point) followed by Diamond Island then Rattlesnake Island. The third colored postcard down is of short beach at LSP with the "Big Pier" in the background. This postcard looks to be from the 1920's. The last colored postcard labled Lake Shore Park on Lake Winnipesaukee, N.H. is a mistake. The shore line pictures are not of Lake Shore Park.

mcdude 09-17-2006 05:15 PM

Carguy: I received those photos you sent along of the stations on the Lakeshore Railroad. Thanks! Here is the one of the Lakeshore Park Station

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...arkstation.jpg

and a few more postcards

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hingbeach_.jpg

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...shorepark1.JPG

Captain Bob 09-20-2006 09:38 PM

Thanks to SteveA for starting this string, and all the great input! I've always loved Lake Shore Park history. You know the wooden water tower above the rail bed? I've always wondered whether it was for camp use only (it was lake water pumped up to the tower), or if it served the trains. And here's something not too many people know - not far from the wooden water tower, on top of some boulders at a higher elevation, there are imprints from steel tower leg supports set in concrete on the boulders, if I remember right forming a square like 10' x 10' or so, that I always guessed used to be a steel water tower probably smaller and older than the wooden one that remains! Any info?

carguy 09-20-2006 09:46 PM

2nd Lake Shore Park Water Tower

Captain Bob:

Yes, I remember a second lake Shore Park Water Tower. It was smaller and painted yellow and green. If you were standing on the steps of the pavilion and looking at the big old gray water tower, the smaller water tower was situated about 75-100 feet to the left towards the LSP entrance road (the hump on the hill).

Rattlesnake Gal 09-21-2006 07:20 AM

Photo Location

1 Attachment(s)
Does this shot (a single from a stereo view) look like it was taken from Lake Shore Park?
Thanks!

carguy 09-21-2006 08:23 AM

Picture Not Taken from Lake Shore park

1 Attachment(s)
RG:

That picture was taken at a higher elevation, possibly from lower elevations of Locke's Hill near where the Chanticleer Inn was located. I would say somewhere between Greystone and Chanticleer. If you look at the attached picture in this post, I would guess that the photographer in the picture you posted would have been standing in the area on the right hand side of the attached photo in this posting.

Captain Bob 09-23-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carguy
Captain Bob:

Yes, I remember a second lake Shore Park Water Tower.

Thank you, carguy! You are the virtual encyclopedia! After 50 years, you're the first person to tell me that my guess was correct! Yes, the spot you mention is where I found the old tower "foot" imprints.

mcdude 09-29-2006 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcall9031
Hi Steve

This is the only picture of the Lake Shore Park Inn I have ever seen.
Built around 1890. Burnt in 1910

Mike C. from Long Beach LSP

Available from an antique book website, at a very steep price!($85), an old 1892 Brochure for the Lakeshore Park Inn.
Quote:

Book Description: Patriot Print, Concord, New Hampshire, 1892. 48mo - over 3" - 4" tall. 6 page booklet; text and illustrations; summer resort on Lake Winnipesaukee; original wrappers; slightly wrinkled; very good condition.
If interested pm me for more information. I can't give out the url of the website or RG will not be happy with me.

mcdude 02-02-2007 05:11 PM

Pavilion

Old Postcard of the Lakeshore Park Pavilion - Site of Forumfest III. If you attended FFIII and saw the fine state of this building today you'd be impressed with the job of preservation done by the folks at Lakeshore Park.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...repavilion.jpg

Funny....when I was bidding for this card on e-bay I received this pm in my winni.com mailbox.....
Quote:

You're killing me! LOL
I'm XXX on e-bay ... I'm also SteveA on the forum! :)

You outbid me for the LSP Pavillion postcard! :)
Here ya go Steve!!:D

SteveA 02-02-2007 06:08 PM

Thx McDude

I've not seen the short beach card before. It looks like at one time there was a "covered bench" on the front right corner of Big Pier..

Thanks for posting it.

SteveA

SteveA 02-02-2007 06:17 PM

Thanks... ya you outbid me...!

This is a great postcard... and Thank You McDude for posting it here! :)

I've never seen this view... and yes... allot of the folks at LSP are very serious about preserving the History of LSP.

To the Victor go the Spoils :laugh:

SteveA

carguy 02-04-2007 01:37 AM

Lake Shore Park Pavilion Post Card

McDude:

Nice purchase on the postcard of the pavilion. I have not seen that particular card before.

Steve A:

Take it from an old ebayer (member since 12/97), if you really want something in ebay bad enough, snipe bid it with the MAXIMUM amount that you would be willing to pay for it.

MWSP 02-17-2007 12:14 AM

Flying Saucers!!!

While looking for more pageant information, I came across this story in the July 10, 1947 edition of The Laconia Evening Citizen:

Sees Flying Discs At Lake Shore Park
Bill Rowlin of Providence, 17-year old youth, who is spending the summer at Lake Shore Park in Gilford reported to the Evening Citizen that he saw three flying discs at about 10:05 this morning over Lake Winnipesaukee going in the direction of Alton. He took pictures he hopes will reveal the presence of three objects about 5,000 feet up.
Earlier in the week Thomas Dale, son of the governor, reported seeing flying discs in about the same location going in the same direction.

mcall9031 02-24-2007 01:26 PM

UFO over Winnipesaukee

Here is what the Gov's son saw.

See case 733

http://mimufon.org/historical_folder...SectionIII.htm

Mike C

xredvette 03-31-2007 10:48 AM

Wee Hoose

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee
About ten years ago it was still there and still named the "Wee Hoose". That was my first trip up to Lake Winnipesaukee back in 1946 or 1947. The Wee Hoose belonged to Jim and Millie Foster, Scottish immigrants from Andover MA, who also started with a tent platform I believe in the 1920's and then grew into a "cottage". Uncle Jim and Aunt Millie were my mom's aunt and uncle, therefore my great-aunt and great-uncle, and of course "Wee Hoose" is the Scottish dialect for wee house, small house, and small it was.

The Wee Hoose is still there and has been in my family for some time. My Grandfather, also a Scottish immigrant, owned it for many years and then my Dad purchased it from them about 30 years ago. Sad to say my Dad just passed away this past December and left the Wee Hoose to myself and 4 siblings. I'm the Voting Member and the holder of the deed.

I have so many fond memories of LSP and the Wee Hoose. Spending summers running on the dirt roads barefoot. Good friends, great times! Over the years my dad and I upgraded the ole Wee Hoose, insulating, adding on as the bylaws would allow, completely redoing the interior, adding indoor plumbing and a shower!!! It turned into a year round home for my dad although my family still refers to it as "the camp". My dad loved the Wee Hoose and treasured his time there. When he got older and could not stay by himself during the winter months he couldn't wait to get back to LSP and his Wee Hoose.

We are in the process of having a head stone made for him and the family is unanimous in having an image of the Wee Hoose with mountains and lake behind sandblasted into the stone. He loved that place so much it is a fitting tribute to what he would have wanted to be remembered for.

Thanks for letting me share....

Jim

White Rook 03-31-2007 12:38 PM

Miss Winnipesaukee

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA
here are the pictures

Hi,

In the upstairs office of Irwin Marine, there's a photo of Jack's brother, Jim Irwin (Lord rest his soul) driving a boat called Miss Winnipesaukee. Also, wasn't Jim Irwin married to a former Miss Winnipesaukee?

As an aside, I had the pleasure to perform marine gear repairs on a lot of antique and classic boats for Irwin Marine. The boat owned by Corning Benton, owner of Eagle Island comes to mind along with a boat owned by Steve Kace of Marine Patrol. I had a 35' Chris Craft there from 1983 to 1990. Ahhhhhh....those were the days!

White Rook

SteveA 07-22-2007 07:14 AM

LSP "Office"

2 Attachment(s)
Big changes at LSP. The old office at the entrance has finally been replaced.

Much of the work on the new building was done by members.. and the "new" office came in under budget!

Attachment 1481

Attachment 1482

SteveA 07-22-2007 07:31 AM

Miss Lake Winnipesaukee 2007

Quote:

Originally Posted by carguy
In an earlier post in this thread SteveA made reference to the Miss Lake Shore Park beauty contest starting in the early 1960's. It actually started earlier than that, in the 1950's. Two winners that I can remember, Donna DeGroot and Peggy Weeks went on to win the Miss Winnipesaukee pageant held at Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens at the Weirs. I think Jerry Donahue's sister won the Miss Winnipesaukee Pageant prior to Donna and Peggy winning it.

CarGuy,

You'll get a kick out of this! History Repeats Itself!

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0102

carguy 07-22-2007 01:56 PM

Miss Winnipesaukee 2007

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA
CarGuy,

You'll get a kick out of this! History Repeats Itself!

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0102

SteveA:

Thanks for sharing this news with me and the Forum. I guess good genes must run in the family. Melissa must be Bobby's and Janice's daughter?

barkerrd 03-19-2008 09:09 PM

lake shore park

Nobody has posted on here since july 2007 . Well, I have to thank Carguy , McDude , SteveA and all the others for the great photos . I was at LSP from 1954 to 1972 . Reading the different posts on here reminded me of alot of things that I had forgotten , like the ice truck , the barn for storage across Rt.11 and Ruggs pontoon boat . When I was really little , I remember there was a row of Amesbury skiffs by big pier . I think they were white and each had a number . I really enjoyed this thread ,

carguy 03-19-2008 10:24 PM

Lake Shore Park Amesbury Skiffs

Barkerrd:

The Amesbury Skiffs were painted white with green trim along the gunnels. They had about 10 of then parked on the boat slip by the Big Pier. Before that going back into the 1940's and earlier, the row boats were Dory type looking boats, painted yellow with gray trim on the gunnels.

Carguy